Joe West needs his brain checked

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CWS@CLE: Two balks lead to Guillen, Buehrle ejections - Video | whitesox.com: Multimedia

The first balk was the worst balk call I have ever seen. Not even a balk in the slightest bit! And then he waves off Ozzie when he comes out like there is nothing to argue about! Then on the 2nd balk, it was closer to one but still like Hawk said, the same move he has used for his whole career basically. I've heard he called the 2nd balk because MB was going to 1st too much and MB was doing it to stick it to him.

Joe West is a piece of scum who should be suspended for his bush league umpiring today...

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I found this funny, but those were awful calls

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
He hates the Sox

Lefty

Liked Posts:
To be fair, the second one was actually a balk, and if Buehrle didn't want to get thrown out of the game, he shouldn't have been flipping his glove in an attempt to show frustration. Obviously he didn't intend to throw his glove, but he knows that you get run for that, so why even chance it when you and your team have already engaged in a "show up" match with a sack of shit umpire? You know who's going to win every single time.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Joe West should be suspended like Hawk said.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
That's not going to happen. I wish stuff like that would happen more frequently (and be disclosed to the public), but it just isn't going to happen. Umpires are like teachers with tenure: ain't nothing happening to them that they don't want to happen.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
MLB probing Guillen, West incident

Major League Baseball will investigate the actions that took place Wednesday in Cleveland when Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and pitcher Mark Buehrle were ejected by umpire Joe West.

Umpire Joe West joined "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 to discuss the ejections of Ozzie Guillen and Mark Buehrle from Wednesday's game in Cleveland.

West called two balks on Buehrle, who tossed his glove to the mound after the second one in the third inning and was ejected. Guillen was ejected after arguing the first balk call, in the second inning.

"The pitcher balked, and I called a balk, and he balked a second time and he got ejected for throwing his glove," West said Thursday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "Ozzie came out to protect his pitcher [after the first balk], which was probably a good idea at the time, because Buehrle was drawing lines in dirt on the mound [to show he's not moving his leg past where the rules stipulate], and he was about to get ejected then.

"[Guillen] even said he was out there not to argue the balk but to protect his pitcher, which he should come out in that situation. I said, 'Everything is OK now, Ozzie, you can go back to the dugout.' And he got mad, because I told him you can go back. He used a few profanity-laced lines and that got him ejected."

Guillen and Buehrle both made comments after the game that could draw sanctions.

"Sometimes he thinks [expletive] people pay to watch him [expletive] umpire," Guillen said after the White Sox beat the Indians 5-4. "He's the type of guy that wants to control the game. ... I deserve respect and the players here deserve respect here, too.

"When you tell the manager to get the [expletive] off the field, I don't think that's a good way to handle situations. ... I'll be waiting for my fine."

West denied using profanity.

"I quit using profanity a long time go, when the league president in the Southern League fined me $25 and I didn't have $25 to pay," West said. "I don't use profanity on the field."

West was asked if there are occasions when he could turn his back instead of confronting the manager or player.

"I did turn my back," he said. "I walked into right field. I didn't do anything confrontational. I called a balk because it was a balk, and I can't do anything more than that."

MLB director of discipline Bob Watson will meet with MLB executive vice president of baseball operations Jimmie Lee Solomon and review the tapes as well as reports sent to his office.

"We have either an umpire supervisor or umpire observer at every game," Watson said. "We will review all information available and make a determination on what needs to be done."

Watson said a decision could come as early as Friday afternoon.

MLB does not announce disciplinary actions against umpires, although they are common. If umpires receive more than a few reports from umpire supervisors that they didn't meet standards in the game, it could affect the umpire's ability to get assignments such as the All-Star Game and playoffs, which are extra paydays.

Umpires can be fined and suspended, but those situations are never announced.

MLB does announce suspensions of managers and players, although it won't announce fines in those cases.

It was ironic that West ejected Buehrle, who is considered one of the fastest-working pitchers in the game. West was involved in controversy earlier this season when he criticized the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees for the slow pace of their games.

"[That] is what's kind of disheartening, this is one of the fastest-working pitchers in the world. We're not trying to get him out of the game," West said. "As soon as I kicked him out of the game, I was thinking, 'This is great, now how long is this game going to take?'

"We're not looking to pick on anybody The simple fact of the matter is he balked. He didn't like it, he threw his glove and that's what happened. Things like that happen. I don't hold any ill will toward him or Ozzie. I think it's one of those things that just happened."

Buehrle didn't return the kind words toward West, who is a country music singer and songwriter with his own website.

"I think he's too worried about promoting his CD, and I think he likes seeing his name in the papers a little bit too much instead of worrying about the rules," Buehrle said.

Major League Baseball investigating Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, Mark Buehrle and umpire Joe West incident - ESPN Chicago

Hope his ass gets canned, although that's unlikely.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
As a Cubs fan, when I saw it on SportsRISE I was like what the F***? Agree with Hawk, this guy is a disgrace to the profession, and a real dumbass.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Joe West has no ill will towards Ozzie, but MLB will review this

Lefty

Liked Posts:
It's not because Joe West hates Ozzie or Buehrle, it's just that he sees being a controversial and outspoken umpire as a path to legitimate stardom. The guy has a publicist (telling "fans" where and when West will be umpiring next, something that is not supposed to be done) and has made no secret of his want to be a country music singer.

Really, the MLB needs to sack up and take control of the umpires. Their "union" is a complete joke, and crushing it wouldn't even be felt by MLB revenue projections.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Lets hope he becomes a country music singer, then he won't be at the games anymore. Then we can all yell insults at him at his concerts.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
^good lord that would be great

i hate country

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
can we please get a suspension for West!

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
I was very happy when I saw he was fined.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
This fine won't change a thing. West will be happy as hell to pay the fine as long as he has the ear of some national columnists while doing so.

The MLB REALLY needs to get control of the umpires, like, yesterday. There's no reason any of this shit (talking about West) should ever come from an umpire. Furthermore, there's no reason the MLB should EVER have to deal with umpires not calling the correct zone, not paying attention, etc. They should have the power to just fire them and move on.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
when an ump walks towards a dug out when a player is walking away, like what happened to Ramon today, its ridiculous