Marmol's K% @ Record Pace

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know he's a feast-or-famine pitcher at times...but it's still cool.

Marmol's K percentage at record pace

Baker to be examined by eye doctor | cubs.com: News

CHICAGO -- Cubs closer Carlos Marmol is striking out batters at a record-setting pace.

Of the 103 batters the right-hander has faced, he's struck out 49 for 48 percent. The Major League record is 44.8 percent, set in 2003 by Eric Gagne. Only four pitchers have finished the year topping 40 percent.

On Thursday, he added to his stats by striking out the side in the ninth inning of the Cubs' 1-0 win over the Dodgers.

"My command is a little better," said Marmol, who took over the closer's role last year and now has 11 saves in 13 chances. "I feel real good. Right now, I feel confident."

His strikeout pitch is his slider -- "Always," he said, smiling -- but Marmol has better command of his fastball this year, which has helped set up hitters.

"I can throw my fastball with two strikes now," the right-hander said. "I did it a couple times, and it worked out."

His slider was on in the ninth on Thursday. Marmol fell behind pinch-hitter Manny Ramirez, 0-2, which prompted a visit from pitching coach Larry Rothschild.

"He told me to focus a little more and throw strikes," Marmol said.

And the right-hander did just that, getting Ramirez out on three straight sliders.

It's only the end of May, but told that he had a chance at Gagne's mark, Marmol grinned. Hitters beware.

"We'll see if I can break that record," Marmol said.

Harry Caray

Liked Posts:
he has been awesome so far, hopefully we can keep giving him chances and he can keep producing!

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Really, his only glaring problem has been waking batters. He's 3rd-worst among NL relievers with at least 20 IP's in walks per 9 innings, but everything else (K rate, HR rate, WHIP) is phenomenal, and he's been doing it all with a .360+ BABIP.

This, of course, has lead to many Cubs fans calling him "questionable" or "hit or miss".

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Really, his only glaring problem has been waking batters. He's 3rd-worst among NL relievers with at least 20 IP's in walks per 9 innings, but everything else (K rate, HR rate, WHIP) is phenomenal, and he's been doing it all with a .360+ BABIP.

This, of course, has lead to many Cubs fans calling him "questionable" or "hit or miss".

I think it's Marmol's 3.41 ERA last season (and 3.28 career ERA) that has Cubs fans concerned more than his stats through the early going of this season. However, he has been impressive this year.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Marmol reminds me of little league. Every batter he faces ends in a walk or a strikeout.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Until he controls his pitching motion and follow through, he's most likely never going to be a successful closer.

Let me rephrase that statement actually.

Until he controls his pitching motion and follow through, he's most likely never going to be a long-term great closer.

Last edited:

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
giggity..

knowing the cubs.. we wont be able to use him enough this year.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Marmol reminds me of little league. Every batter he faces ends in a walk or a strikeout.

LOL. With my son being in his first year of Pinto ball I get to see that first hand.

Marmol has been great. He can get in trouble with the walks, but he can always get out of trouble with hi ability to strike batters out.

That was always the argument to keep him as a setup man. He could come in with runners on 2nd and 3rd 1 out situations and get out of it. But I always wanted him to be the closer. Glad he is.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
hes basically only blown one save all year and thats not because of him walking guys...the 2nd blown save was not his fault being brought in with basesloaded and 1 out...

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I think it's Marmol's 3.41 ERA last season (and 3.28 career ERA) that has Cubs fans concerned more than his stats through the early going of this season. However, he has been impressive this year.

ERA is a questionable stat in and of itself, but using it to value relief pitchers? That's crossing the line.