Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5114727

With their first pick coming at No. 75, the Chicago Bears figure to have a quiet start to the NFL draft, but when they do make their first pick, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock expects them to select a defensive back.

Offensive line is another big need for the Bears, but Mayock said the Bears seem more confident than the rest of the league in the position.

"I think they are going to sit there at 75 and take the highest-rated defensive back on their board," Mayock said Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000.

Mayock said Oklahoma's Dominique Franks and USC'sKevin Thomas are potential Bears picks at cornerback. Safeties Chad Jones of LSU or Major Wright of Florida also could interest the Bears.

One rumor making the rounds has the Bears dealing tight end Greg Olsen, who some believe doesn't fit in new offensive coordinator Mike Martz's offense, to the New England Patriots, who have four picks in the top 53. Mayock doesn't see Patriots coach Bill Belichick parting with any of those picks for Olsen.

"The bottom line on Greg Olsen is, depending on how you use him, there's value," Mayock said. "New England could be in the market for a tight end, but I'm not sure it's going to be Greg Olsen. Bill [Belichick] loves his second-round picks. He had four of them last year, and they all really played well for him as rookies.

"As far as Greg Olsen is concerned, there's some value to Jay Cutler and Greg Olsen. Once you get rid of a Greg Olsen, who are you throwing the football to inside the numbers?"

Another potent target for Cutler should be on the Bears' shopping list, Mayock said.

"Devin Hester is a work in progress," Mayock said. "Earl Bennett is a pretty good receiver. Johnny Knox is fast and has become a better receiver than maybe a lot of people thought, given his fifth-round draft status. But after that, I'm not buying into Devin Aromashodu, Juaquin Iglesias, all those guys. I really believe the Bears need another solid receiver threat."

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Yeah well if they want to get some value from Olsen they better trade him ASAP. Though it is funny watching the clown college that is Lovie Smith, Mike Martz and Jerry Angelo vying for power within the org. Makes for funny radio, at least.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olsen won't be traded. Though Major Wright isn't the answer at FS IMO. Chad Jones could be though.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Olsen won't be traded.

He really should be, though. Mike Martz has all but said that there is no place in his offensive scheme for a guy like Olsen. He's not going to be worth a first-rounder, maybe a late-second-rounder, and I'm almost positive they could get another third-rounder for him, and I think they should capitalize on it now, especially after the whole Alex Brown debacle.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He really should be, though. Mike Martz has all but said that there is no place in his offensive scheme for a guy like Olsen. He's not going to be worth a first-rounder, maybe a late-second-rounder, and I'm almost positive they could get another third-rounder for him, and I think they should capitalize on it now, especially after the whole Alex Brown debacle.
Their latest diatribe with regard to the Monsters of the Midway centers around the trade value of tight end Greg Olsen, the team's first-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. According to Boers and Bernstein, once the Bears hired Mike Martz as their new offensive coordinator, the front office did everything it could to ship Olsen out of town since Martz's system has never featured the tight end position. However, once general manager Jerry Angelo and Co. realized they couldn't get anything better than a fifth rounder in return for Olsen, they reluctantly decided to keep him.
If he didn't have trade value then, why would he have higher trade value now?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Alright well I was off on what he was worth, but I'd still take that over having Olsen ride the bench and not contribute.

And btw, not being worth what people were hoping for in a trade =/= no trade value.

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
The only thing good that will come out of this draft is us fans knowwhat Lovie and JA don't tht is they won't stand a chance in hell of keeping their jobs. We need a DB and FS but not near as much as we need some good Guards. If you don't give Cutle the time to pass and open holes for the runningbacks to move through this is going to be a very long and very sad year for us fans. Lovie is so dumb he thinks you can win with a good Defense and ST and a half ass Offense, it has never happen in the NFL and it never will. If you don't beleive me go back and look at the last time we were in the SB

omc1969

Liked Posts:
The only thing good that will come out of this draft is us fans knowwhat Lovie and JA don't tht is they won't stand a chance in hell of keeping their jobs. We need a DB and FS but not near as much as we need some good Guards. If you don't give Cutle the time to pass and open holes for the runningbacks to move through this is going to be a very long and very sad year for us fans. Lovie is so dumb he thinks you can win with a good Defense and ST and a half ass Offense, it has never happen in the NFL and it never will. If you don't beleive me go back and look at the last time we were in the SB

+1

I'd like to see a "O" lineman (guard) as our 1st pick followed by Myron Rolle (Safety) as our next. The guy has what it takes and is a Rhodes Scholar to boot. You can't teach smarts and this guy has it. HOWEVER this IS Lovie and JA we're talking about here so who knows. We can only hope.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
guess they wouldnt take a chance on taylor mays...

i want the bears to take chad jones

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
+1

I'd like to see a "O" lineman (guard) as our 1st pick followed by Myron Rolle (Safety) as our next. The guy has what it takes and is a Rhodes Scholar to boot. You can't teach smarts and this guy has it. HOWEVER this IS Lovie and JA we're talking about here so who knows. We can only hope.
Myron Rolle is an SS who doesn't have great ball skills or coverage ability. He wouldn't solve the Bears FS problems in any way, JA would just be throwing away another draft pick at an SS. If he's drafted by the Bears I'll throw my remote through my TV.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bump

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams