Cashner called up; Grabow to DL

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
PITTSBURGH -- ESPNChicago.com has learned that Chicago Cubs left-handed reliever John Grabow was put on the 15-day disabled list on Monday with knee tendinitis, and in a corresponding move, the team has selected the contract of top pitching prospect Andrew Cashner from their Triple-A Iowa roster.

Cashner will be brought along in the bullpen so that he can find a comfort level, according to manager Lou Piniella in statements before Sunday's game. The 23-year-old first round pick (19th overall) of the 2008 draft had been a starter at Triple-A until last Thursday. Since then he has thrown two scoreless innings out of the bullpen, one last Thursday and one on Saturday.

Cashner was a closer at Texas Christian. Cashner is projected as a closer eventually or possibly a top-of-the-rotation starter.

Grabow missed time earlier this month with the same knee problem. The veteran pitcher, who signed as two-year contract with the Cubs in the offseason, has been ineffective most of the 2010 season. Grabow's role was to be the primary sertup man for closer Carlos Marmol. That role has been taken over by Sean Marshall.

The Cubs are hoping Cashner will join the team on Monday in Pittsburgh. Iowa played in Nashville on Sunday.

Grabow goes to DL; Cashner recalled - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That really should read..

Grabow released to the hounds for food.

Would really make my day.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yes, Grabow on the DL, that makes me barely care that Cashner is being called up as a reliever, and since he was one in College it may not screw up his development because we already know he can make that transition back.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think this is just kind of par for the course. If you bring up a rookie pitcher as a reliever, you have some say over the situation he's put in, thus not putting a lot of pressure on him early on.

Solid move.

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
Yeah let's see how they play this out. To be honest, they could have called up a scrub from A ball and I wouldn't have minded as long as they replaced Grabow.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Best move all season!

I wouldn't go that far, there's still a chance this screws up Cashner, but since he was originally a reliever, I doubt it, the best move was Castro.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Or Colvin making the team out of ST

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I guess, but I think he meant in-season, not preseason.

(Not the Howry post, the one before that about Colvin.)

Elmhurst Steve

Liked Posts:
Cashner was a stud relief pitcher in college and yet the Cubs decided that they would make a starter out of him. he was doing well in that role this season and now he's back to pitching in a relief role. the Cubs have really messed with some pitchers this season-not figuring out what role guys belong in. Cashner may well be a huge help in the set-up role. that was the role Grabow was miscast in to start the season. I'm glad to know I will not have to watch him pitch again soon. Having him up, gives fans another reason to tune in, to see how he fares. Castro, Colvin & Cashner...hope starts with the letter C .

JCM

CCS Mod
Liked Posts:
yes Grablow to the DL. :crazydance:

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I would rather it said Grabow given his outright release, or Grabow got hit by a bus and is no longer able to pitch again because his left arm was torn off.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
That really should read..

Grabow released to the hounds for food.

Would really make my day.

THIS.

And I didn't know that Cashner was a reliever in college and then was moved to starting rotation. Interesting... And I know it's still early in the season, but I think they (the Cubs) should be focusing on next season and especially beyond. It seems like Cashner is doing well as a starter and although we really, really need some relief pitching that doesn't give up at least two runs, why mess up a good thing?

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Grabow got hit by a bus and is no longer able to pitch again because his left arm was torn off.

He would try to make a comeback as a RHP and we would allow him to struggle b/c it's a "feel good story".

:(