Garza isn't as bad as you think

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
no I just dont live in a world where I pretend to know how saber works, and I dont live in a world where I realize the highly flawwed stats that saber brings to the table such as WAR. you are a homer, and an apologist that cannot seem to grasp any player on the cubs being bad.

again for the last time is tool, you are using VARIABLES to come up with one STAT in the formula as SEPERATE STATS! jesus christ dude!

That has nothing to do with K/9, BABIP, HR/9, and FB%.

Dope!

BTW, bud, the Cubs fucking suck. But it doesn't mean that just because the team sucks, that every player sucks. Does it bother you that much that a Cub is better than Buehrle?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That has nothing to do with K/9, BABIP, HR/9, and FB%.

Dope!

BTW, bud, the Cubs fucking suck. But it doesn't mean that just because the team sucks, that every player sucks. Does it bother you that much that a Cub is better than Buehrle?

has nothing to do with the white sox moron.

1908_Cubs

Liked Posts:
Dew, this thread is laughable. Not because of Captain, but because of your ludicrous posts.

You realize, thus far, your only statement in the entire thread to disprove Matt Garza's great start to the 2011 season has been "LOL @ WAR". Now I'm not going to disagree that WAR has flaws. And I cannot stand when people use the stat as if were gospel. It's a bad habit some have. That said, it still has it's uses. And in the context as it's been provided here, coupled with FIP, xFIP, his BABIP, his K/9, his BB/9....that's not cherry picking numbers. In fact, that's the opposite. A clear pattern has been shown here of Garza through the season. You said using BABIP and claiming he's been unlucky is an excuse, but think about it logically: what's more likely to happen, a pitcher who's shown excellent control (low walks), and high strikes outs (leading league in K's) is going to consistently get hit? Or if he continues to show control and power, that the balls will eventually find their ways into gloves more then they will drop it?

Stop being an annoyance. You've yet to make an actual point. If you want to be taken seriously, then I dare you, make a point.

Or at least fucking spell "sabre" correctly. The "R" comes before the "E". When you spell things incorrectly, you look even more like a dipshit then when you stomp around here ranting and raving without actually providing anything more than (what you consider) witty JPEG images.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not a fan of these type of stats but understand why people are.......Garza i think is being effected by DEF. Went from one of top DEF to one of the worse

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dew, this thread is laughable. Not because of Captain, but because of your ludicrous posts.

You realize, thus far, your only statement in the entire thread to disprove Matt Garza's great start to the 2011 season has been "LOL @ WAR". Now I'm not going to disagree that WAR has flaws. And I cannot stand when people use the stat as if were gospel. It's a bad habit some have. That said, it still has it's uses. And in the context as it's been provided here, coupled with FIP, xFIP, his BABIP, his K/9, his BB/9....that's not cherry picking numbers. In fact, that's the opposite. A clear pattern has been shown here of Garza through the season. You said using BABIP and claiming he's been unlucky is an excuse, but think about it logically: what's more likely to happen, a pitcher who's shown excellent control (low walks), and high strikes outs (leading league in K's) is going to consistently get hit? Or if he continues to show control and power, that the balls will eventually find their ways into gloves more then they will drop it?

Stop being an annoyance. You've yet to make an actual point. If you want to be taken seriously, then I dare you, make a point.

Or at least fucking spell "sabre" correctly. The "R" comes before the "E". When you spell things incorrectly, you look even more like a dipshit then when you stomp around here ranting and raving without actually providing anything more than (what you consider) witty JPEG images.

Aww another PSD homer! Love It!

It is also stated that WHIP is a bad stat to use because the umpire is in control of WALKS which he has used in previous arguements, you cannot turn around and than use K/9 being high and not considering the umpires on that.

you can use BABIP which is a fine stat.

But dont tell me that xFIP/FIP are not flawed along with WAR and other stats.

Yes he is cherry picking his stats, you tool.

To state that he is the best pitcher in baseball is flat out Special person, and if you believe that he is the best pitcher in baseball you are Special person as well and should trot back over to PSD with the rest of you kool aid drinking retards.

hey CO- Cant fight your own battles? need the rest of your kool aid drinking apologist friends to back you up. idiot.

Also xFIP and FIP is still considered an experimental stat. If you want links on that I would be happy to provide that for you.

So lets use experimental stats to evaluate players. sounds awesome.

keep up the good work at PSD.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Who knew Phil Rogers Jr posted here.

1908_Cubs

Liked Posts:

It is also stated that WHIP is a bad stat to use because the umpire is in control of WALKS which he has used in previous arguements, you cannot turn around and than use K/9 being high and not considering the umpires on that.

To state that he is the best pitcher in baseball is flat out Special person, and if you believe that he is the best pitcher in baseball you are Special person as well and should trot back over to PSD with the rest of you kool aid drinking retards.

hey CO- Cant fight your own battles? need the rest of your kool aid drinking apologist friends to back you up. idiot.

Also xFIP and FIP is still considered an experimental stat. If you want links on that I would be happy to provide that for you.

Every statistic if flawed. Welcome to real life where you can't just take one thing and say "Done!". There is no magic bullet.

The problem here, Dewsox, is that while FIP,xFIP, WAR, and all the rest are in fact flawed statistics, they're not that flawed. They're not so flawed that they become useless. And coupled together, in fact, they become a very strong foundation for an argument. Then you add in K/9. Then you add in BB/9. Then you add in BABIP, LD%, GB% and FB%....and you have a very strong house. To which you continue to only offer arguments of "Pshaw? That doesn't count cause I say so.".

WHIP is not a bad statistic because walks are controlled by umpires. It's a bad statistic because it makes no distinction between types of hits and defense can factor in heavily. Which is uncontrollable for the pitcher.

Now I'm not here stating that Garza is the best pitcher in baseball. In fact, Captain Obvious didn't even state that. It appears you suffer from the same reading comprehension problem that our friend FirstTimer suffers from. What Obvious stated, was that Garza, to this point, had pitched like one of, if not the best, pitchers in baseball. And...in many regards he's correct. He is leading in K's, he's leading in FIP. He's very high up on WAR. He's getting unlucky on hits. Do I think he's the best SP in baseball? Shit no. I'd bet my life that Captain doesn't think that either. What's being said, however, is that to this point Garza's been one of the best. Which is very much true. And if you do not believe it to be so, please, inform me why. Using a statistical basis for your argument. You have yet to do that.

Not to mention, using the word "Special person" when retorting to someone, makes you look like a moron. This isn't me getting uppity about the word, it's me telling you that it's impossible to take you serious when you argue like you're a high school student.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Okay, let's say that I am cherry picking stats. Let's just say that I am... what have you used against me?

As for "fighting my own battles." This is a forum. On the internet. People can read what we say. People can even bring their input into the conversation. Now that we've covered the basics, I apologize that I was unable to reply to you in a timely manner that fits your schedule. If you can please give me 24 hours notice next time, I will make sure that I get to it within a time period that suits you.

As for "experimental" stats, just because FIP is always being changed, because league averages change since ya know... we keep playing baseball, does not mean that it isn't a creditable stat.

So, all these saber stats are not good enough for you. Let's use ERA. But wait! It's just as flawed as the other stats. In fact, it's more flawed than most of the stats we're using. Earned Runs are defensive dependent. Therefore, it is dependent on the defense. See where this is going? The pitcher is the pitcher. He is not the 2B, RF, or 3B. He's the pitcher. He doesn't have control over all of that fun stuff.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
1908 posts over at PSD? Makes sense I gues.

That forum is god awful. I lurk it for minor league stats and updates but the posters there suck. Want some laughs? Go in and read the free agent/trade idea thread.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That forum is god awful. I lurk it for minor league stats and updates but the posters there suck. Want some laughs? Go in and read the free agent/trade idea thread.

The forum sucks, therefore all the posters must suck. Makes sense.

The posters suck a whole, therefore all of them suck. The Cubs suck this year. I guess that means Castro sucks too. Now that sucks.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PSD sucks because of how its ran and what they limit their posters on..

Which is pretty much anything.

Lots of us have jumped ship.

1908_Cubs

Liked Posts:

No shit that thread sucks. I run far and away from that thread.

PSD largely sucks because of the mods.