Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/resident_evil_operation_raccoon_city/b/ps3/archive/2011/06/13/everything-must-die.aspx

When I first heard word of Capcom’s plans to inject tactical shooter elements into Resident Evil, I was worried. With Slant Six behind the project, what I envisioned was simply a SOCOM game with zombies thrown in. In reality, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is shaping up to be a tight shooter with engaging class-based mechanics, cool enemies, and visceral melee combat.

The E3 2011 demo I played took place immediately after Clair and Leon S. Kennedy are separated by an exploding gas tanker on the infected streets of Raccoon City. The Umbrella Security Service is tasked with cleaning up the nasty undead outbreak, and that begins with the pesky survivors. Leon is the primary target, but the U.S.S. will inevitably take down many zombies, bio-organic weapons, and members of the opposing United States Special Operations task force.

I chose to play as Vector, a deadly agent mentored by the infamous Hunk. Weapon loadouts are customizable, as are certain skill sets. I decided to go with Vector’s cloaking ability and suppressed rifle in order to keep a low profile. The game’s tight third-person gunplay surprised me. Shooting from the hip and zooming in for precise shots felt great, resulting in plenty of decapitated undead. Holding down a shoulder button immediately draws a sidearm, pulls the camera back, and automatically locks on to close enemies. This move is crucial when reloading in the heat of battle is not an option. I felt comfortable with the controls after just a few moments of gameplay.

A good way to save your skin when the undead begin closing in is to mash on the melee button. Each soldier is trained in highly effective close-quarters combat, unleashing a flurry of kicks and knife slashes that quickly take down zombies. The U.S.S. operatives make the S.T.A.R.S. look like geriatrics by comparison. I had an amazing time using melee to control crowds, and actually found myself relying on CQC more than the firearms in certain moments. Tapping the melee button and steering your character in the direction of the next zombie threat was very simple. Switching between gunplay and melee is a fast process, making it even more appealing.

Hand to hand combat isn’t an option when confronted with the game’s larger B.O.W. threats. Lickers crawl from the vents of a claustrophobic garage, a scene reminiscent of James Cameron’s Aliens. These clawed abominations will literally tongue-tie you, leaving you incapacitated and vulnerable to enemy fire or zombie attacks. A few wiggles of the analog stick or a helpful partner can set you free. A more devastating challenge is found in the Hunters, bipedal reptile creatures with a wicked vertical leap and razor sharp claws. I poured dozens of rounds into these beasts, and many of my teammates didn’t survive the encounter.

Vector’s invisibility skill came in handy during these intense encounters. Cloaking not only helps dispatch nasty B.O.W.s, but I also used it to my advantage against the human opposition. In a move that would make Solid Snake envious, I cloaked, grabbed a zombie to use as a meat shield, then safely took pot shots at an enemy sniper. Being able to execute entertaining feats such as this all within the Resident Evil universe made me giddy. I can’t wait to get my hands on it again so I can try out the other U.S.S. agents such as demolition man Beltway, or medic Bertha. Unfortunately the demo I played only pitted two human players against A.I., so I’ll have to wait to get a better sense of the tactical teamwork.

As for Leon S. Kennedy, he made it away unscathed during this playthrough. I’m enamored with the idea of rerouting Resident Evil’s history, so I’ll be sure to take down the Raccoon City survivor the next time I get to play the game, which I hope is soon.
raccooncity14.jpg