(Long Thread Warning)NL-Only Roto Fantasy Baseball Team - Please Grade My Work So Far

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Anibal has the following a young team With a never quit attitude, and one hell of a cavern for a ballpark in that SunLife Stadium...it's 350 down the lines and 385 in the gaps...410ish to CF....talk about a pitchers park

he's currently a 4 @ 3y contract...meaning 7 next year and 10 in 2013. CHEAP

Jaime is 10 @ 3y right now, meaning 13 next year, and 16 in 2013...

Is Jaime worth 6 more bucks over Ani? Maybe. But I'm not going to wait around. Whoever accepts first gets Garza and J. Sanchez.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I'm going to make sure I absolutely FLEECE all these guys next year when they are stuck rebuilding because they mortgaged their future to try to win this year.

I just offered the rest of David Wright's 2011 season + Brett Wallace (through 2014) for Michael Morse through the end of 2012...and was rejected...

The guy has Daniel Descalso playing his 3B spot, and Wright returns in 2 weeks. Plus Wallace costs a buck...

When these guys have meager players on their rosters next year and 3 trade chips to play with (like I do)...I'm making sure I get my reward for dealing with them this year. I mean...

No way should I have to trade Cliff Lee AND David Wright for Castro...Or Cliff Lee and Shelby Miller for Bryce Harper...Or a young stud + half a year of a perennial all-star for 1 year of michael morse...

No way I should have to trade David Wright + Jameson Taillon for Colby Rasmus.

No way should Brandon Beachy cost me Garza and Sanchez, when I would do those two for Jaime (same owner).

Last edited:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Trade 6
I send: Jonathan Sanchez ($7 @ 2y)
I get: Martin Prado ($7 @ 2y) and Jon Jay ($1 @ x)

Prospective 2012 Lineup (Pre-Auction)
C-
C-
1B- Brett Wallace ($4 @ 3y)
2B- Dan Uggla ($10 @ 1y)
3B-
SS-
CI-
MI- Martin Prado ($10 @ 1y)
OF- Chris Young ($10 @ 1y)
OF- Domonic Brown ($4 @ 2y)
OF- Logan Morrison ($4 @ 2y)
OF- Jon Jay ($4 @ 3y) - I will tender him 3 years, he's gonna be a stud
OF-
U-

SP- Adam Wainwright ($4 @ 3y)
SP- Stephen Strasberg ($4 @ 2y)
SP- Tommy Hanson ($10 @ 1y)
SP- Matt Garza ($19 @ 1y)
SP- Edinson Volquez ($7 @ 2y)
SP- Shelby Miller ($0 @ m)
SP-
RP- Fernando Salas ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on if he keeps closer role in STL)
RP- Anthony Bastardo ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on if he steals the closer role in PHI, he has it right now...and Madson took it and ran, til he got hurt, too.)

Minors: Jameson Taillon (will probably be a top 5 MLB prospect, he's drawn comparisons to Josh Beckett, and is only 20 years old)

Still have David Wright, Matt Garza, and Roger Bernadina to trade. Looking to move Garza and Wright for Beachy. Yes, I lose this trade (BIG)...but Beachy's $1 @ x and would fit into my rotation beautifully...Not planning on keeping Garza and can't keep Wright, anyways.

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love that trade..I love Prado. Not so high on Jay YET.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
yeah, im big on it too. jay's done nothing but hit .300 and swipe a few bags since he's played for St. Louis. He ought to be their starting RF next year, regardless of Pujols staying, or Berkman leaving.

My last trade has been in the works.

I'm offering David Wright (who's expiring) + Matt Garza for Brandon Beachy ($1 @ x). Yes, I know that's a lot...

If that falls through, I have a deal in the works to bring in Daniel Hudson ($4 @ 3), and move Matt Garza.

But...

Wainwright - $4
Strasburg - $4
Hanson - $10
Beachy/Hudson - $4/$7
Volquez - $7
S. Miller - $0
Empty
Salas (closer) - $4
Bastardo (closer) -$4

You won't find a more efficient pitching staff for that price. Hell, it might be the best pitching staff you'll be able to find in an NL-only league. I'll have about 190 bucks to spend on 9 spots, meaning I could EASILY go get Tim Lincecum for 40+ next year to fill that empty spot (and trade him mid season for a bat, if I need one).

My offense looks immensely better with every coming day. Domonic Brown should flashes of BRILLIANCE by rocking Josh Beckett the other day, and Dan Uggla continues to find his stroke making my deal of Upton (who I wasn't keeping at 47 next year) look GENIUS. Lo-Mo should be a stud. Prado provides me with .300 and 15 HR next year. I'll have more than enough to go get a Pujols, Tulowitzki, and probably grab Hanley Ramirez (Prado is eligible at 2, 3, and OF, so I can get a Hanley if I want) while I'm at it (Hanley'll be cheapER, the way he's playing)

Last edited:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Trade 7
I send: Matt Garza ($16 @ x), Fernando Salas ($1 @ x), Roger Bernadina ($1 @ x)
I get: Daniel Hudson ($4 @ 3y), Kosuke Fukudome ($1 @ x), Tom Gorzelanny ($1 @ x), Matthew Szczur (0 @ m)

C-
C-
1B- Brett Wallace ($4 @ 3y)
2B- Dan Uggla ($10 @ 1y)
3B-
SS-
CI-
OF- Domonic Brown ($4 @ 2y)
OF- Logan Morrison ($4 @ 2y)
OF-
U-

SP- Daniel Hudson ($7 @ 2y)
SP- Edinson Volquez ($7 @ 2y)
SP- Shelby Miller ($0 @ m)
SP-
RP- Bobby Parnell/Jason Isringhausen ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on who keeps job)
RP- Anthony Bastardo ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on if he steals the closer role in PHI, he has it right now...and Madson took it and ran, til he got hurt, too. He's closed 1 game since Madson's return)

Minors: Jameson Taillon (will probably be a top 5 MLB prospect, he's drawn comparisons to Josh Beckett, and is only 20 years old)

This trade is essentially a load up for a contender. The guy I traded with had Hudson, and needed stolen bags and saves. I gave up Salas (who I don't think the Cards will stick with next year, or this year for that matter). Garza and Hudson are a wash, in my opinion. Hudson's contract is much better; and like I said, I wanna get cheap, effective pitching to allow me to build a super lineup next year.

I picked up BOTH Parnell and Isringhausen from NYM. Parnell looks to be their closer of the future, and I picked him up a week prior to the K-Rod trade. Super scouting by me. The Izzy pick-up is to handcuff that closer spot (I can afford him taking a slot, since I'm not competing this year, anyways).

I'm shaping up to have about 187 bucks to spend on 2 catchers, a 1B, SS, MI, CI, and OF (Prado is eligible just about everywhere). I could EASILY snag Pujols, Tulo, and Hanley/Braun for about 150-160 and have about 30-40 bucks to spend on the 2 catchers (probably Yadi and Montero), and a OF/MI....

I'm loooking gooooood for the next few years, in my opinion. I have Brandon Allen (just called up, could be a monster in ARI), Jon Jay, Ryan Theriot all at a buck and keeper-worthy. But with all this money to spend next year, it'll be sad to cut them with them only costing me so little.

Aaron Harang is also on my roster and if he keeps it up, will EASILY be kept for 4 bucks next year...especially in that monster park of PETCO (since he's a sinkerballer).

Last edited:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Next goal:

1. Trade David Wright + Ryan Theriot/Jon Jay as a package for a solid keeper MI

2. Find someone willing to take on Edinson Volquez. This bitch is TERRIBLE. I'd trade him for a bag of chips right now. I can't outright release him unless I wanna pay the 4 bucks for this year, 7 for next year, and 10 for 2013 out of pocket. That was a terrible trade for Billingsley. But with his high K numbers, I figured he was worth the risk.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Okay, so I just got shut down on a more than fair offer of

David Wright (through the end of this season) + Brett Wallace (through 2014, he will be a beast by then)

for

Michael Morse (2012)

so I downgraded with the guy to a

David Wright (39 @ 1yr)

for

Colby Rasmus (7$ through 2012)

-Remember that this is NL-only and that Rasmus is reportedly close to being a Chicago White Sock (although when you lose a player to the AL, you get the players that went for Rasmus as compensations, meaning Edwin Jackson AND Matt Thornton if that deal were to go down.

I sent a memo to the whole league that next year when I'm near the top and the guys competing now have to break their teams down (Blackhawks style) to rebuild that anyone wanting Domonic Brown or Logan Morrison or Shelby Miller, or Jameson Taillon better be bringing me Albert Pujols AND a above replacement value keeper for them because I'm not getting anything less than that the way I've been bartered with.

I also said for them to send me their BEST David Wright offers by the trading deadline and that if I don't see anything REALISTIC for me to rebuild with (I seriously got offered an injured Clayton Richard with the pitching staff I already had) that I'll keep David Wright on principle alone and get NOTHING out of him and that next year my prospects (even shitty ones) are going for top dollar.

Another guy in our league offered Ubaldo Jimenez and Broxton to a guy (who's trying to win the league) for Bryce Harper alone, and got declined. Just putting the league in perspective. It's like the have's and have nots out here. It's a miracle I've taken what I started with back on page one to what I have now.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Wright and Isringhausen for McCutcheon is on the horizon... (waiting to see the MLB trade deadline approach before it's official)

I have David Hernandez (who's been filthy) out in Arizona. I have Antonio Bastardo (who's been perfect as the closer) in Philly in the mosh pit of Madson/Bastardo/Lidge. I have Isringhausen (who is the current closer in NYM), and Bobby Parnell (who has filthy stuff and a 100 MPH fastball) as the setup to Izzy in NYM. I'm hoping 1 or 2 of these guys is a closer going into opening day 2012. I have a good feeling about Bastardo being the man in Philly. Izzy is 38 and his stock is as high as I can see it going. I don't think the Mets go into 2012 with a 39 year old closer. Parnell is the heir apparent, in my opinion. David Hernandez is CLEARLY better the J.J. Putz, and is just another injury to Putz away from taking the job and possibly keeping it. He was perfect in save opportunities in June/July.

Just stockpiling closer-type guys and hoping I hit on one or two of them so I don't have to spend 30 bucks next auction on a closer. I have my SP's lined up with T. Hanson, D. Hudson, A. Wainwright, S. Strasburg, S. Miller, V. Worley, and E. Volquez (god I hope he rebounds, but if he doesn't his K's will still help and my ERA/WHIP guys in Hanson/Wainwright will balance him out).

So throwing in Izzy is no big deal to me to get McCutcheon next year for 7 bucks to go in my outfield with Domonic Brown, Logan Morrison, Chris Young, and MAYBE Jon Jay in 2012.

Last edited:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Ok, guys I have officially offered:

Domonic Brown ($1 @ 3y)
Brett Wallace ($1 @ x years)

for

Carlos Gonzalez ($9 @ 2y)

The guy I'm offering to is also in rebuild mode. A couple things come to mind.

- Domonic Brown is going to be a stud. But I need to win NEXT YEAR. I also have Logan Morrison locked up for 3 years. Brown's stock is still ultra high. The Phillies are also in play for another OF, namely Carlos Quentin. If the Phillies trade Brown to the White Sox, I get Quentin back with Brown's contract of $1 @ 3y...which would be amazing. Brown's name is also being thrown around in trade rumors with Houston for Hunter Pence, whom I would NOT get, as someone already owns Pence in our league, and Brown would be staying in the NL. Plus the Astros are terrible.

-Brett Wallace...did I mention the Astros are terrible? Brett also has a dirt cheap contract through 2014 on my team, and is surely to blossom within the next 3 years. It's just that I'm looking to have about 175 bucks to spend on 4 positions. Brett Wallace, being a 1st basemen, I think I'd be better off spending money on Pujols than keeping a hold of Wallace.

What do you all think?

ZAN

Liked Posts:
and a little negotiating...

Trade 8
I send: Logan Morrison ($4 @ 3y), Edinson Volquez ($4 @ 3y), Jameson Taillon (0 @ m)
I get: Carlos Gonzalez ($9 @ 2y), Billy Hamilton (0 @ m)
*(check out the steals numbers on Hamilton in the minors Billy Hamilton Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

C-
C-
1B-
2B- Dan Uggla ($10 @ 1y)
3B-
SS-
CI-
OF- Carlos Gonzalez ($12 @ 1y)
OF-
OF-
U- Brett Wallace ($4 @ 3y)

SP- Daniel Hudson ($7 @ 2y)
SP- Vance Worley ($4 @ 3y)
SP-
SP-
RP- Bobby Parnell/Jason Isringhausen ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on who keeps job)
RP- Anthony Bastardo ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on if he steals the closer role in PHI, he has it right now...and Madson took it and ran, til he got hurt, too. He's closed 1 game since Madson's return)

Minors: Shelby Miller (0 @ m), Domonic Brown ($4 @ 2y), Billy Hamilton (0 @ m)

Sad to see a top 5 ML prospect go in Jameson Taillon. But they are prospects for a reason. Taillon is going to be an ace in the coming years, but Carlos Gonzalez gives me a really cheap reason to win next year. With Domonic Brown's demotion to the minor leagues; coinciding with the Hunter Pence to the Phillies acquisation...I had to make a move. Also, Vance Worley for Philadelphia is proving quickly that he may stick around for quite some time, which made trading Taillon easier. I also get rid of the Volquez contract. He may come back and dominate; he may not. I got a little insurance in the next great leadoff hitter of our generation in Billy Hamilton, though. He's got 75...yes SEVENTY FIVE steals at the midway point of his 2nd season in the minors. The Reds have him on the fast track, and he looks to get the next shot as a starting SS with the Reds.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
So...updating this for the Spring Training Hot Stove.

I finished at the bottom of our league, as expected. I actually finished 7th out of 10. But my team is rebuilt to compete in 2012.

Remember it's an auction-style NL-only Roto-Keeper League. I've wheeled and dealed for the past month to go into this season with a stacked roster. Part of rebuilding is getting the young, promising guys dealt before they fall off.

So I've made a series of 3 trades this offseason. Guys had huge contracts that prevented a rebuild. So it was time for me to swoop in, with all my cap space, and trade my youngsters for the overpriced contracts.

Trade 1:

I trade:
Brett Wallace ($4 in 2012)
Jose Altuve ($4 in 2012)
Jesus Guzman ($4 in 2012)

I receive:
Troy Tulowitzki ($43 in 2012)

Trade 2:

I trade:
Shelby Miller (number 1 pitching prospect in MLB) ($0 in 2012)
Domonic Brown ($4 in 2012, still dwindling in Phillies AAA, despite all the up-side)
Vance Worley ($4 in 2012)

I receive:
Joel Hanrahan ($7 in 2012)
Tony Campana ($4 in 2012)

Trade 3:

I trade:
Brandon Beachy ($4 in 2012)
Billy Hamilton ($0 in 2012, stole 103 bases in Cincy A-ball)

I receive:
Jason Motte ($4 in 2012)

Trade 4:

I trade:
Randal Delgado ($0 in 2012, Braves #2 SP-prospect, highly touted)
Tony Campana ($4 in 2012)

I receive:
Ryan Braun ($55 in 2012)

ZAN

Liked Posts:
So after the wheeling and dealing in 2011, I enter 2012 with this lineup. Salary Cap in $260.

C -
C -
1 -
2 - Dan Uggla - ATL ($10, final year of contract)
3 -
SS - Troy Tulowitzki - COL ($43, tendered 2 years)
MI - Zack Cozart - CIN ($4, tendered 1 year)
CI - Martin Prado - ATL ($10, final year of contract)
OF - Ryan Braun - MIL ($55, tendered 1 year)
OF - Carlos Gonzalez - COL ($12, final year of contract)
OF - Chris Young - ARZ ($10, final year of contract)
OF - Jon Jay - STL ($4, tendered 3 years)
OF -
Util - Ryan Theriot - SF ($4, tendered 1 year)

SP - Tommy Hanson - ATL ($10, final year of contract)
SP - Daniel Hudson - ARZ ($7, 2 years remaining)
SP - Adam Wainwright - STL ($4, tendered 3 years)
SP - Stephen Strasburg - WAS ($4, 2 years remaining)
SP -
SP -
SP/RP -
RP - Jason Motte - STL ($4, tendered 3 years) [stock with closers...always tender the max, and buy out contract if they fail...they are hard to come by]
RP - Joel Hanrahan - PIT ($7, 2 years remaining)

Total Team Cost: $188
Cap Space Available: $72
Spots Needed: C(2), 1B, 3B, OF, SP(3)

On the fence about keeping: Francisco Rodriguez ($4).
-He took $9 million arbitration with Milwaukee. So, he's their setup man, for now. I could keep him as a potential mid-season trade would put him in the closers role. If nothing else, I could tender him a 3-year contract, as he'd be a free agent in 2013 to sign as a closer elsewhere. If he goes to the AL, I'm not required to pay the contract off. If he's traded to the AL, I get the player he's traded for at his contract price.

Overall, my team currently costs $188 of the $260 cap. That leaves me to spend 72 bucks on 8 players. My strategy is to buy two $1 backup catchers who hit around .300 (last year, I had David Ross and Ronny Paulino) which allows me to spend 70 on 6 players.

What do you guys think?

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Offseason Trade #5

I send:
Zack Cozart (CIN) - SS ($4)
K-Rod (MIL) - RP ($4)
Matt Szczur (CHC) - OF ($0)

I receive:
Jair Jurjjens (ATL) - SP ($13)

I feel like I just added to my list of injury prone pitching. But when Jurjjens pitches, he's good...I feel like Cozart is going to be an animal...but you take cheap pitching when you can get it. I wasn't keeping K-Rod or Szczur; so that was filler in the deal.

This brings my team to:

C-
C-
1B-
2B- Dan Uggla ($10)
3B-
SS- Troy Tulowitzki ($43)
MI- Ryan Theriot ($4)
CI- Martin Prado ($10)
OF- Carlos Gonzalez ($12)
OF- Ryan Braun ($55)
OF- Chris Young ($10)
OF- Jon Jay ($4)
OF-
U-

SP- Tommy Hanson ($10)
SP- Daniel Hudson ($7)
SP- Stephen Strasburg ($4)
SP- Adam Wainwright ($4)
SP- Jair Jurjjens ($13)
SP-
SP-
RP- Joel Hanrahan ($7)
RP- Jason Motte ($4)

$57 cap space to spend on C(2), 1B, 3B, OF, U, SP(2).

By the way. I'm going to have the first pick in the minors draft, because the two guys ahead of me forfeit their first pick to keep Devin Mesoraco and Jameson Taillon. This means either Trevor Bauer (if he doesn't make the Dbacks out of ST), Garrett Cole, or Anthony Rendon will be my first pick. I'm hoping for Bauer, as he'd cost me $0 and would soon fill one of those empty SP spots, allowing me to bid more on other players at the auction.

Any constructive criticism?