(Long Thread Warning)NL-Only Roto Fantasy Baseball Team - Please Grade My Work So Far

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Okay guys. It's a 10-team auction/keeper league with a 260 cap before the season begins, and it ups to 325 once the season begins to allow teams to rebuild/make a run at the money.

Contract years are: m (minors), x (open-ended; meaning you can drop or tender them a 1-3 year contract), 1, 2, 3. Minor league 'm' contracts cost you nothing, and you get to tender them a 1 @ 1-3y contract after their rookie season.

Salaries increase 3 every year for a keeper. For instance, a keeper of "1 @ 3y" means that the player will cost "4 @ 2y" next year.

Categories:
BA, HR, RBI, R, SB
ERA, WHIP, K, W, S

You are given points for where you finish in each category of the standings. For instance, if your team has the most strikeouts (pitching) in the league, you get 10 points for 1st in the category. If you finish last in a category, you get 1 point.

This year has been a rebuilding year for me. I knew it going in. I'm the new guy in the league, and inherited a team from a guy who won the league and then quit the league (took the money and ran since all his players were expiring contacts and he knew he needed to rebuild).

To start the year, I knew I had 6 keepers, pre-draft. They were:

SP - Tommy Hanson (ATL): $7 @ 2y (meaning I get him for '11 and '12)
SP - Chad Billingsley (LAD): $27 @ 1y
SP - Cole Hamels (PHI): $28 @ 2y
RP - Brad Lidge (PHI): $25 @ 1y
2B/3B - Placido Polanco (PHI): $8 @ 1
3B - Scott Rolen (CIN): $8 @ 1y
3B - David Wright (NYM): $39 @ 1y

Well, I knew I was in rebuild mode, as there was no way I was competing with this roster of 5 (I'd have to pick up 18 players in the auction).

So, predraft, I made a couple trades.

Trade 1
I send: Brad Lidge, Placido Polanco
I get: Marlon Byrd ($10 @ 1y) & Domonic Brown ($1 @ 3y)

Trade 2
I send: Cole Hamels, Scott Rolen
I get: Jonathan Sanchez ($7 @ 2y), Chris Young ($7 @ 2y)

But I knew my trading didn't make me a contender. The rebuild was just getting started. I had about 200 to spend going into it. I knew I could buy 15+ players to win me the league with $200. So I planned on overspending on a few players so that I could trade them for cheap keepers later. All auctions won are open-ended contracts, meaning you can toss them back to free agency at the end of '11 for no cost, or keep them for 1-3 years with an increasing salary of +3 for every year.

Major Auction Buys (Summary)
SP - Adam Wainwright ($ 1 @ x) (Huge buy, as no one wanted him, because no one went into the auction with rebuild aspirations, and he had just gone under the knife)
1B - Brett Wallace ($1 @ x)
SP - Cliff Lee ($49 @ x)
SP - Matt Garza ($16 @ x) - lots of Cub fans in the league, and he went cheap due to bad Spring Training
SS - Stephen Drew ($19 @ x)
OF - Justin Upton ($44 @ x) - yeah, IDKY I spent 44 on him. Must have been drunk.
(all other position players were 1 dollar pickups I made after everyone else had filled their rosters...)

So after that, I've been basically biding time and trying to make moves to build my team for next year and the future. And I think I've done it.

Trades I've Made Since The Start Of The Season

Trade 1
I send: Marlon Byrd
I get: Shelby Miller 0 @ m (12th rated MLB prospect, SP-Cardinals)

Trade 2
I send: Justin Upton, Stephen Drew
I get: Dan Uggla ($7 @ 2), Jameson Taillon 0 @ m (15th rated MLB prospect, SP-Pirates)

Trade 3
I send: Chad Billingsley
I receive: Edinson Volquez ($4 @ 3y), Randall Delgado (2nd rated prospect in ATL organization, SP)

Trade 4

I send: Cliff Lee
I get: Stephen Strasburg ($1 @ 3y)

So those are all the trades I made. I'll go ahead and post my prospective lineup going into the auction next year, along with the open roster slots, and you tell me what you think...

I still have Matt Garza, David Wright (expiring), Ryan Ludwick (expiring) to trade.

I still have Ty Wigginton, Orlando Hudson, Alex Gonzalez, Roger Bernadina, and Justin Turner as 1 @ x contracts that I could keep/trade next year.

Prospective 2012 Lineup (Pre-Auction)
C-
C-
1B- Brett Wallace ($4 @ 3y)
2B- Dan Uggla ($10 @ 1y)
3B-
SS-
CI-
MI-
OF- Chris Young ($10 @ 1y)
OF- Domonic Brown ($4 @ 2y)
OF-
OF-
OF-
U-

SP- Adam Wainwright ($4 @ 3y)
SP- Stephen Strasberg ($4 @ 2y)
SP- Tommy Hanson ($10 @ 1y)
SP- Jonathan Sanchez ($10 @ 1y)
SP- Edinson Volquez ($7 @ 2y)
SP- Shelby Miller ($0 @ m)
SP-
RP- Fernando Salas ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on if he keeps closer role in STL)
RP-
Minors: Jameson Taillon (will probably be a top 5 MLB prospect, he's drawn comparisons to Josh Beckett, and is only 20 years old)

Right now, I have a prospective trade that could fill that last SP spot where I'd send Matt Garza and Fernando Salas for Daniel Hudson ($4 @ 3y) and Bronson Arroyo. I'd be trading Arroyo, because he has no spot in that.

But I also am prodding at the guy in our league who lost Albert Pujols to see if he'd trade me Ian Desmond ($6 @ 3y) and Bryce Harper (0 @ m) for David Wright, Ryan Ludwick, and Matt Garza. He's been reluctant to trade Harper so far. Maybe Pujols snapped wrist is incentive enough to take a risk in David Wright and gamble his trade chip in Harper away.

Could ya'll please grade my trades, and what I'm looking like going into next year, as well. Provide any moves you might consider making, or insight. This league pays out $400 a season, and I feel like I'm going into 12 with a very very cheap and very very good roster. Let me know with your grades!

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know the specific rules, maybe you posted them but Im just not in the mood to read a lot, but if you are talking about trades, the one that sticks out to me as bad is indeed trade #4 IMO

Reactions: ZAN

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Trade number four isn't so great because all you get is a possibility and Steven is not a guarantee you should have gotten a lot more for lee you are rolling the dice but you still should've gotten a lot more for especially in fantasy

Overall not so bad

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well assuming that you are basically throwing in the towel on this year I think you made some good moves. Obviously you weren't going to keep Cliff Lee at $52 but Strasburg at $4 is a steal. As is Wainwright.

I think you have done a pretty good job and should have plenty of money to spend next season on some good players.

I don't know how Dan Uggla was so cheap though. I think you have made some very good moves, and should be in good shape for next year.

Reactions: ZAN

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I dont know the specific rules, maybe you posted them but Im just not in the mood to read a lot, but if you are talking about trades, the one that sticks out to me as bad is indeed trade #4 IMO

See that's the thing...Cliff was bought for 49 @ x by me in the auction.

It's open ended and the guy I traded him to COULD keep him for 52 next season. That would be asinine, though. Ask the guy that shelled out 59 for Pujols how that works.

On the Cliff Lee trade market. You wouldn't believe how low the market was for him. I made offers of Cliff Lee for. The guy who traded me Strasberg from him refused to toss in Brandon Beachy, and also refused to make it a 2-for-2 of Lee/D. Wright for Strasberg/Utley(10@x):

Starlin Castro (1 @ 3y)
declined. he wanted david wright and lee for him.
and

Bryce Harper (m) & Ian Desmond (6 @ 3y)
declined. didn't want to trade harper (and the guy is one SP away from winning the league running away)

So yeah, I would have liked to have gotten more for him. But the Pujols injury scared me into selling Lee a little low. I still have Wright coming back, Ludwick (who's cheap/expiring/tearing the cover off the ball), Garza left to trade.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boy Bryce would have been good to have.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I currently have a trade in the works of:

Matt Garza & Fernando Salas

for

Daniel Hudson ($4 @ 3y) and Bronson Arroyo ($5 @ x).

Obviously I have no need for Arroyo, but Hudson is going to be gooooood. He already is. I bet Salas loses the job within 2 weeks, which is why I'm selling him. I have Mitchell Boggs on my team currently, who is ready to get next crack in STL as closer if Salas botches it up too. Plus, anyone who know fantasy baseball knows that despite a high ERA, Arroyo is fantasy gold. He has averaged 15-16 wins a year over the last 3 years, and is in position to do it again on a solid Reds club.

The other trade I have in the works is a trade of:

Brandon Allen (beast hitter for ARI AAA club), Randall Delgado (Braves Prospect), Vance Worley (spot starter prospect that PHI has used 4 times this year)

for

Martin Prado ($7 @ 2)

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Boy Bryce would have been good to have.

ultimately, i may have been able to get him in a month or so...but i thought about it...a healthy strasberg/wainwright combo for the next 3 years (which is a pipedream for now) could easily pitch me to dynasty...

bryce harper might not be up til late next year at soonest, and wouldnt help me win next year...but would be a beast in 2013-2016.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Plus I have a second tier of young minor league pitching.

Shelby Miller is supposed to be BETTER than Jaime Garcia. The Cardinals think he is Wainwright ('10)/Carpenter ('09) good.

Jameson Taillon is already drawing Josh Beckett (in his prime) comparisons. He throws a heavy sinking fastball at 97 mph, which is unreal...He has a nice breaking ball and slider to boot.

Both are 20 years old.

Last edited:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Poodski,

Dan Uggla went cheap because the owner was/in the hunt for the money at the end of the season, Uggla couldn't hit water if it hit him, and he couldn't afford to wait. Plus he is tops in the league in HR, and could afford to lose Uggla's HRs and still finish at the top of the category. He needed BA, RBI, and SBs...and Upton/Drew could do that for him. I'm surprised he GAVE me Jameson Taillon as a 2-for-2 trade balancer, though. What a gentleman! :D

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Trade 5
I send: Ryan Ludwick (10 @ 1 - expiring) & Ty Wigginton (1 @ x)
I get: Logan Morrison (1 @ 3y)

I'm going to be honest. Right now, I feel like I got raped on this deal. Wigginton has like 5 HR in the past week and is appearing immortal in his new Rockies uniform, and Logan Morrison is mired in the first slump on his career, but appears to be a very good corner outfielder with emerging power this season.

Wigginton and Ludwick are BOTH outperforming Lo-Mo as of right now. Ludwick is expiring, so I had to move him. Period. Wigginton is 33 and Lo-Mo is 24. That plays a huge role in why I accepted this trade. Wigginton is swinging it like Pujols over the past week. So I sold high on him. It wouldn't surprise me at all, though if he finishes with 25 HR and 80 RBI.

Prospective 2012 Lineup (Pre-Auction)
C-
C-
1B- Brett Wallace ($4 @ 3y)
2B- Dan Uggla ($10 @ 1y)
3B-
SS-
CI-
MI-
OF- Chris Young ($10 @ 1y)
OF- Domonic Brown ($4 @ 2y)
OF- Logan Morrison ($4 @ 2y)
OF-
OF-
U-

SP- Adam Wainwright ($4 @ 3y)
SP- Stephen Strasberg ($4 @ 2y)
SP- Tommy Hanson ($10 @ 1y)
SP- Jonathan Sanchez ($10 @ 1y)
SP- Edinson Volquez ($7 @ 2y)
SP- Shelby Miller ($0 @ m)
SP-
RP- Fernando Salas ($4 @ 1-3y, depends on if he keeps closer role in STL)
RP-
Minors: Jameson Taillon (will probably be a top 5 MLB prospect, he's drawn comparisons to Josh Beckett, and is only 20 years old)

Still have David Wright, Matt Garza, and Roger Bernadina to trade.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
With Jonathan Sanchez looking like he can't pitch for anything, and Matt Garza not on my radar for next year, I'm thinking I might trade BOTH before the deadline to get one solid SP (one that won't have a WHIP over 1.2) and get a decent keeper hitter.

EDIT:

Again, biting the bullet here. Would YOU trade Matt Garza (16 @ x) and Jonathan Sanchez (7 @ 2) for Jaime Garcia (10 @ 3) and Mike Leake (1 @ x) ?

Garza is on a team that doesn't get him wins. His WHIP and ERA are high. He's good for Ks. Sanchez has a high WHIP. Leake is purely to balance the deal. In order to win in fantasy ball, you need solid pitchers from good teams. Teams where the hitters will get your SPs wins on days where they allow 4 or 5 runs. Garza is solid, but the Cubs offense won't earn him any wins on days where he's average. At 19 next year, I'd most likely throw back Garza. Garcia at 13 is cheap for his ability.

This would make my rotation next year:

T. Hanson (10 bucks)
J. Garcia (13 bucks)
A. Wainwright (4 bucks)
S. Strasberg (4 bucks)
S. Miller (0 bucks)
E. Volquez (7 bucks)
SP - Empty
F. Salas - closer - 4 bucks
RP - Empty

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would do that trade, right above. I don't think it hurts and betters your team.

Also, that trade For Logan is not too bad....it's better than you think and other people too. You'll see, def when your getting younger. Their getting up in age and you won't contend for bit. So you'll be good.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I'm starting to feel a lot better on the Lo-Mo deal as well.

Here's the good thing. If I'm borderline contending next year, and a Lo-Mo or Domonic Brown is scuffling, they will still have worldly potential in '13...guys with cheap contracts and lots of potential go REALLY high in our league.

For instance, see how I was unable to get Bryce Harper or Starlin Castro as a centerpiece for Cliff Lee. So a Lo-Mo can get me a Tulowitzki or a Braun at the deadline next year if I need it.

The best part is that I feel that the base that I have is young, LOCKED in ON THE CHEAP, and gives me a ton of room to go buy Pujols, Tulowitzki, and Braun, and a stud closer next year and still have like 70 bucks to spend on my other positions.

The offer of Garza + Sanchez for Jaime is on the table. The guy I'm dealing with is super fickle, though, and will probably want Salas. If that's the case, he can f*ck himself. I've already bent over once to trade him Cliff Lee for Strasberg.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
See that's the thing...Cliff was bought for 49 @ x by me in the auction.

It's open ended and the guy I traded him to COULD keep him for 52 next season. That would be asinine, though. Ask the guy that shelled out 59 for Pujols how that works.

On the Cliff Lee trade market. You wouldn't believe how low the market was for him. I made offers of Cliff Lee for. The guy who traded me Strasberg from him refused to toss in Brandon Beachy, and also refused to make it a 2-for-2 of Lee/D. Wright for Strasberg/Utley(10@x):

Starlin Castro (1 @ 3y)
declined. he wanted david wright and lee for him.
and

Bryce Harper (m) & Ian Desmond (6 @ 3y)
declined. didn't want to trade harper (and the guy is one SP away from winning the league running away)

So yeah, I would have liked to have gotten more for him. But the Pujols injury scared me into selling Lee a little low. I still have Wright coming back, Ludwick (who's cheap/expiring/tearing the cover off the ball), Garza left to trade.

now I get it! damn, you are really getting into this thing. how time consuming are leagues like these?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing Dewy...it sounds fun and all but also sounds like it takes too much time.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
It's a very time consuming league. We are all people who know eachother, and get together every year at a Bar & Grill for a live auction and 4-round minor league draft.

The payout is worth it. I do most of my fantasy moves and trades at work, so it pays...literally :)

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Two offers on the table right now.

Garza/Sanchez for J. Garcia

and

Garza/Sanchez for A. Sanchez (FLA)

Yes, I know I lose these deals. But I'm not keeping Garza at 19 bucks next year, and I'm tied to J. Sanchez at 10 for next year. Jaime or Anibal are both HUGE upgrades over J. Sanchez.

The 19 to keep Garza could help me get a Brandon Phillips over a Ryan Theriot...or a Michael Bourn over a Roger Bernadina....for instance.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Then it makes more sense on how you have time for this league.

That's a tough decision on the trade but I have to go with Garcia because...

1) Younger
2) Plays for a team that will win more
3) Worse decision
4) More pieces behind him

But that's just me, at the end it's all your choice.