CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Due to issues with my blackberry this is not a live blog. The following is my account of Lilly’s rehab start this evening against the Burlington Bees. I’m not Vin Scully and I’ve had a few drafts so please excuse any errors.

Lilly walks the first batter of the evening on four pitches. The runner steals second as the batter strikes out. On the first pitch to the Bees number three hitter Lilly gives up an RBI triple. The second out comes on a strikeout from a slow 12-6 curveball. Lilly strikes out the side on another slow curve. The curveball looks sharp in the first, but the fastball has been all over the place. I’ve decided to skip the Chiefs offense unless Lilly is involved. However I notice Chiefs ss Hak-Ju Lee has the body of a ten year old girl.
Lilly strikes out the first batter of the 2nd inning on a high heater. The 2nd batter singles on a play that should have been made by the third baseman. The second out is recorded on an 0-1 count, with a popup to the first baseman. Lilly picks the runner off first to end the inning. Liily starts the 3rd by getting the batter to fly out to short left. The Cubs lefty seems to be consistently in the zone now as he forces the batter to ground out to 2nd. Lilly gives up a sharp single to left on a fastball down the middle. The inning ends on a deep opposite field flyout to right.

Lilly makes his first plate appearance with two out in the bottom of the third. He lofts a single over the ss and is the Chiefs first baserunner. Lilly attempts a steal of second and is gunned down on a close play. The crowd goes wild (minor league wild that is).

The first batter in the 4th pops out to short cf. It’s a can of corn. After one pitch, a popout is caught by the first baseman for out number two. The Burlington rf hits a slow grounder to the 2nd baseman that is booted for an error. A deep line drive to center ends the top of the fourth. Lilly strikes out the first batter in the 5th on 3 pitches. On a 3-1 count the second batter hits a lazy fly to right for out number 2. The cf hits a sharp grounder to the ss and is out on a close play at first.

Lilly comes to bat in the bottom of the 5th with one out and a runner on 2nd. He draws a walk on four pitches. Ted looks pissed as Chiefs cf strikes out and he is left stranded at first. This could be the draft beer talking. After the first batter of the 6th strikes out, it seems Lilly’s velocity has slowed. My beer intake has increased! Lilly strikes out the 2nd batter of the inning on a nice curve. The side is retired on a curveball that buckles my knees. This is surely his last inning as the crowd stands and cheers. This is surely not my last beer.

The scoreboard begins to show clips of various Steve Martin movies. The guy next to me says, “Oh Yeah it is Steve Martin appreciation night.” You gotta love minor league baseball. Time for another beer. The Chiefs take the lead on a single, stolen base, and rbi single. Lilly is now in line for a win. Better get another beer to celebrate that. I’m shocked to see Lilly take the mound in the 7th. It seems to me he has thrown 100+ pitches by now. Time for a piss break. When I get back the guy next to me says, “Lilly struck the first guy out on a wicked hard curve.” This was in a stellar Boston accent. The 2nd batter pops to first on the first pitch he sees. A grounder to the ss ends the inning and Lilly’s night. It’s official – a pinch hitter comes to the plate in the bottom of the 7th. The Cubs pitcher leaves the game with a 2-1 lead. Great news…. this year beer sales continue throughout the game. No more leaving in the 7th inning. The Chiefs win as Ted Lilly moves to 2-0 in his Peoria Chief career.

Ted Lilly line: 88 pitches, 9 strike outs, 3 hits, one run. Nice outing!
Jeremy line: 3 hot dogs, one pretzel, 6 drafts, no runs, no hits, no errors. Nice outing!

As I turn my radio on I hear the Cubs are down 6-1 to the Mets. A nice night of minor league ball is ruined.

http://ivyenvy.com/?p=2502 good article from Ivyenvy on Lilly's rehab start.

Serious Late

Liked Posts:
Very nice write up. I always enjoy the games I attend at good ol O'Brien Stadium.

Let's hope Lilly gets back quickly, we could really use another arm in the rotation, if for no other reason than to get another arm in the bullpen.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
not bad.

We need Lilly back.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
^^we need lilly back and a closer
i still wish we had wood

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
meh...i thot he was good with us

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Yeah a closer isn't the problem, even the best blow saves. It's our middle relief that sucks ass right now.