Donator
Liked Posts:
Dz8Jmy4.png

First major haul of the season.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
My first time trying pumpkins. I learned a lot. Can't wait to double the size and # next year.

DSCN0632.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
DSCN0626.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0624.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0623.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AussieBear

never saw this thread...

wish i took pictures...

had heaps of different shit in small quantities this year... just testing what i could grown in this climate... im sure next yr the weather will fuck up my future plans..

greenhouse came in handy.. a few varieties of capsicums (bell peppers) - yellow, red, purple.. several varieties of tomatoes.. yellow pears being my fav.. will load up on those next year.. red peppers actually grew, banana peppers did well...

outdoors... mustard greens and salad leafs did well.. two varieties of climbing green beans... the purples grew like grass.. herbs galore... kale (red and blue) grew amazing.. bugs though.. sneaky white moths or whatever they were laying tons of eggs..

silver beet struggled.. grew but under preformed for sure.. ph might of been off.. grew gold and red varieties.. spring spinach was meh too.. hopefully the fall harvest will be better..

etc tec.. maybe ill take some pics next yr if i remember and care.. good thread looking back through it though

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Just an FYI. I use only on fertilizer for all my veggies. Osmicote. My tomoatoes are usually 7-8 ft tall at the end of the yr. With 9 tomato plant last yr, I was around 400 pounds harvested. 3 of the plants were grape, a few romas (shorter plant), early girls, better boys and beefsteaks. The grapes, early girls and better boys the tallest every yr.

I like to not have to weed, so after tilling I always use landscapers cloth and cut holes where I am planting. I also cage everything.

Cukes, grow on a fence (150 +pounds usual in a season from 3 plants)

Peppers I have the worst harvest, but still enough. Green peppers, 50 lbs from 3 plants, tobasco peppers, 10 pounds from 2 plants.

Egglant (haven't grown in awhile) about 10 from each plant.

Brocolli, 5 lbs per plant.

Before the plantings get too big, I will squeeze shorting growing time plants here and there like radishes and such.

One of my favorite parts of my garden is the snack garden. Sugar snaps, yum ( I have these right by the patio on a trellis)

Bush beans, 6 plants, 70-100 pounds (a lot of effort picking these everyday)

Osmicote is the best fertilizer I have ever used. A little in the hole, a little in the surface after planting. All I do all yr.

I do buy my plants every yr. I don't have time to raise from seeds, plus I have found growing from seed (for me) I have less production. I spend about $80-100 for plants each yr.

I never use pesticides.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Soiled is tilled and mended. Redoing my strawberries and doing tomatoes and pumpkins again. I fucking love May/June.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
My garden is popping Cali-style! For my veggies i used the following blend:

Base Soil Mixture:
1 yard + 5 buckets Diestel compost
7 buckets lpm
3 wheelbarrow loads Nicasio Blend organic compost
3 yds + 5 buckets Lyngso Potting Mix

Soil supplements:
30 c Alfalfa meal,
15 c Feather meal,
11.5 c Fish bone meal,
0.5 c Greensand,
16 c Oyster shell flour,
11.5 c Kelp meal,
16 c Gypsum,
3 c Elemental Sulfur

Topicals:
1.5 yards + 6 buckets wheelbarrow loads redwood sawdust mulch
40% of a bale of peat moss
1.5 buckets small fir bark

AussieBear

lucky yall.. we be going into fall/winter here.

the UV is high as fuck in the mountains here and its eaten away at me cheap chinese greenhouse, basically making it flawed and inoperable. I could try to save some bits and reuse it, but that will take some modification and time. Better saved for a late winter project so i can have it up before next spring and hopefully 100% come next fall/winter.

i really only used a seaweed liquid fertilizer this year and had some success. next year all im going to use is cow manure. the father-in-law swears by it and his production is hard to argue with. he does feed his tomatoes with salts though, but other than dat, its just manure worked into the soil and then given a few weeks to rest and shat before planting...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Resized_20160728_072054.jpg

This is a picture of my tomatoes from last summer. A bit of my own compost in the hole before planting and that's it.

Sorry for the small pic, I didn't know how to enlarge the download after the site re-sized it

Reactions: DC

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For those of you that garden and live in colder climates: How long does it take for the vegetables to start growing in the spring/summer?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tomatoes around the end of July give or take a week. Same with peppers. Radishes and leaf lettuce are coming right now.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Just got the garden in

Tomatoes Early girls, Celebritys, Beef masters and Grape 12 plants total
Pepper, Red Bells, Marconis, Fresnos, 8 plants total
Cucumbers 3 plants
Egg Plant. 2 plants

A little late this yr, but it's in.

Still need to get the snack garden going, very late this yr. I have a trellis on one side of the patio, where I put Sugar Snap peas. These are great to just pick off and eat raw when sitting outside relaxing.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For those of you that garden and live in colder climates: How long does it take for the vegetables to start growing in the spring/summer?

I just planted today, 3rd week in July I will be picking Early girl tomatoes, and cucumbers (might be even 2nd week on these). Peppers take longer, 2nd week of August considering when I planted this yr. Late this yr because of time constraints.

When buying plants, they will all say how many days to harvest. You will know how long the different plants will take.

I live an hr north of Chicago.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Update,

Picking a few peppers already, and a few grape tomatoes, I expect Early Girls will be turning in the next 10-15 days. Can't wait....

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Tomatoes are popping, about 12 varietals and heavy on heirlooms. Will need to start canning next week.
Cucumbers and melons are meh.
Great eggplant season.
Bushels of hatch chilies.
Several types of Mexican peppers for sauces/canning.
Padron and shishito peppers for flash-fried appies.
I lost my spinach crop, and most of my lettuce plants bolted, fuckers. I am in the process of re-planting those.
Still waiting on my carrots and beans.

This gardening nonsense is seriously eating into my weekend and it's hot AF outside, but I enjoy it - especially in the evening with a cold beer and music in the yard.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Starting to plan the garden for this year. I am going to build out a couple of raised boxes. Anyone done this? I was thinking 4x8 feet by 16 inches tall. Going to make two exactly the same and will probably have a few pots as well. Anyone made raised boxes have any input?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Starting to plan the garden for this year. I am going to build out a couple of raised boxes. Anyone done this? I was thinking 4x8 feet by 16 inches tall. Going to make two exactly the same and will probably have a few pots as well. Anyone made raised boxes have any input?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I did 4 4x8x8" two years ago. Brought in a mushroom compost and top soil. Wish I had mixed in preen (will be doing it this year). We are making our last attempt V-Day Weekend to do seeds from scratch

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I did 4 4x8x8" two years ago. Brought in a mushroom compost and top soil. Wish I had mixed in preen (will be doing it this year). We are making our last attempt V-Day Weekend to do seeds from scratch

What type of seeds?

I have had zero problems with seeds. Well, I say that, I have learned a few lessons with seeds and things have gone much better since.