Donator
Liked Posts:
ESPNChiBears Dickerson and Wright
Filed to ESPNChicago.com: Bears QB Caleb Hanie signs 1 year RFA tender. JD

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither great nor terrible, came away from the NFC Championship pretty impressed with the guy as a backup. The new rules about the 3rd strign quarterback though make me a little nervous having just Hanie available on gameday with our line.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well our 3rd QB is a rookie. Still Hanie impressed given the circumstances in the NFC Championship Game, I just wish he was already the 2nd string so we didnt waste the entire 3rd quarter with Todd Collins.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well our 3rd QB is a rookie. Still Hanie impressed given the circumstances in the NFC Championship Game, I just wish he was already the 2nd string so we didnt waste the entire 3rd quarter with Todd Collins.

How Todd Collins mysteriously worked his way back up the depth chart in the middle of the season after that terrible Carolina start is one of those mysteries that will never answered.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He won't be back next year. Martz hates him

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How Todd Collins mysteriously worked his way back up the depth chart in the middle of the season after that terrible Carolina start is one of those mysteries that will never answered.

Mike Martz I'm sure.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He played in an offense similiar to Martz's... in the '90s...

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As much as people like to blame Martz, Collins wasn't exactly a Martz guy. I mean he had no prior connection with Martz.

He played in an offense similiar to Martz's... in the '90s...

Yes, that is why they brought in Todd Collins in the first place, thats why I assume Martz always wanted him as No. 2 because for whatever reason he had more trust in Collins. Lovie overrode Martz I'm sure in the NFC Championship after Collins was god awful pathetic and demanded Hanie be put it. I dont know that for sure, but it wouldnt surprise me.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I will concede the point on Collins then. I suppose the early 2000s Chiefs under Vermeil were similar to what Martz was doing and also where Shea comes from. And therefore is a veteran guy and I guess Martz is to blame for that one.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I like Hanie. A LOT for a backup, and he's above average for a Bears QB in general.

I'd like to see him get a chance to start somewhere, and see what he can do with a pigskin, and not a clipboard. Maybe we can up his trade value, and make use of him somewhere.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hanie > Collins. /Thread.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm glad to have Hanie back as a backup. I don't think he will ever be a starter, but the other QBs on the roster are Matt Guttierez and Trevor Vittatoe! Hopefully our "new and improved" O line can protect Cutler and he won't see the field except in 4th quarter blowouts.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither great nor terrible, came away from the NFC Championship pretty impressed with the guy as a backup. The new rules about the 3rd strign quarterback though make me a little nervous having just Hanie available on gameday with our line.

I must have missed this. What are the new rules concerning third-string QB's?

J

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought Bulger would have been a good backup for Cutler..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
3rd string quarterbacks have to be carried on the active roster. They got rid of the rule that your 3rd string doesn't count against the active roster but can bring him in for injuries. However, I didn't look closely enough at it before and saw that they also increased the active gameday roster by one. Really doesn't result in any changes and now a team can bring in their 3rd string quarterback whenever.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
OT: I forget, did they get rid of Collins yet?