United States vs. Mexico (August 10)

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
The U.S. Men’s National Team will continue their long-running rivalry against Mexico when they face off Aug. 10 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. Kickoff for the teams’ first meeting in a friendly since 2008 is set for 9 p.m. ET, and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2, ESPN3.com and Univision. In addition, Univision will air a live pre-game show beginning at 8:30 p.m. ET. Fans can also follow the match live on ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker and Twitter @ussoccer.

The regional rivals are coming off a meeting in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup final where Mexico scored four unanswered goals to defeat the U.S. 4-2 in front of more than 93,000 fans at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif.

Should be interesting to see who Klinsmann brings in. On Mexicos side, would be surprised if Chicharito played :(

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I hope America rebounds from their last meeting with Mexico and pulls this one off.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
<<<<< This guys is the difference. And hes only gonna get better. I think the era of US beating Mexico has ended, and the MexicanNT Chicharito era has begun. USA doesnt have anyone that comes close to Chicharito. Dos Santos, to me looks like a poor mans Christiano Ronaldo, although not there yet. Barrera plays in Europe, Guardado plays in Europe, a couple of Defenders, Maza and Salcido, play in Europe. And they are all relatively young. I dont expect all these guys to play in the Philly game, just saying, the US has a lot of work to catch up to Mexico. Still have to see the roster of both sides before I make a prediction.

Last edited:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
who cares?

community shield today!

Man U vs. Man City!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
US will win because even the Cubs are winning today.... :cubstroll:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
No Chicharito, confirmed. USA might have a chance.

:cubs: lost, so my theory is ruined anyway... the Fire will just have to win now... :shifty:

y2chae

Liked Posts:
<<<<< This guys is the difference. And hes only gonna get better. I think the era of US beating Mexico has ended, and the MexicanNT Chicharito era has begun. USA doesnt have anyone that comes close to Chicharito. Dos Santos, to me looks like a poor mans Christiano Ronaldo, although not there yet. Barrera plays in Europe, Guardado plays in Europe, a couple of Defenders, Maza and Salcido, play in Europe. And they are all relatively young. I dont expect all these guys to play in the Philly game, just saying, the US has a lot of work to catch up to Mexico. Still have to see the roster of both sides before I make a prediction.

Do you realize at the 2010 World Cup, USA had more European based players on their roster than Mexico? Obviously the best leagues are in Europe but it's more than that. The Mexican league is clearly better than MLS so if around half the Mexican team are players from the Mexican league, they still have some solid players, where you can't automatically say that about MLS. The problem with USA is exactly what Klinsmann is against- too much structured and non technical play. This was backed up by him saying USA needs to bring in more of their Latino influence into the team. Basically he agrees USA needs to play more like Mexico or a South American team instead of booting long balls up the field and hoping for a counter attack.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you realize at the 2010 World Cup, USA had more European based players on their roster than Mexico? Obviously the best leagues are in Europe but it's more than that. The Mexican league is clearly better than MLS so if around half the Mexican team are players from the Mexican league, they still have some solid players, where you can't automatically say that about MLS. The problem with USA is exactly what Klinsmann is against- too much structured and non technical play. This was backed up by him saying USA needs to bring in more of their Latino influence into the team. Basically he agrees USA needs to play more like Mexico or a South American team instead of booting long balls up the field and hoping for a counter attack.

Chicharito wasnt w/Manchester United pre World cup, so youre probably right.

I like this for USA.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Almost game time.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
fuck yeah, im ready for this.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
two diff games each half. Mexico won the first half, USA won the second. Really liked what Shea did for USA. That last yellow card for Mexico should have been a red card though, lol. Torrado did the right thing though. Hes old and would have gotten smoked.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems like it should be an automatic penalty kick when you get dragged down on a good scoring chance even if it's not in the box. Same thing happened in the women's game vs China and there's a decent chance it costed them the game. Getting red carded at that point in the game is meaningless. Free kicks are also meaningless 99% of the time. It's like being able to block a free throw.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems like it should be an automatic penalty kick when you get dragged down on a good scoring chance even if it's not in the box. Same thing happened in the women's game vs China and there's a decent chance it costed them the game. Getting red carded at that point in the game is meaningless. Free kicks are also meaningless 99% of the time. It's like being able to block a free throw.

yeah, that should have been a red card. IDK what the ref was thinking. Must say that it was a smart move though, to pull him down. Saved a goal.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I think the tie is a good thing for the US. I'm not sure Bob Bradley even gets a tie...and this was the new coach's first game. Things be lookin' up, imo.

y2chae

Liked Posts:
Chicharito wasnt w/Manchester United pre World cup, so youre probably right.

I like this for USA.

I counted Chicharito as a European player even though he hadn't played a game for Man U yet. The numbers aren't even close USA had like 17 European players and Mexico had like 12 (these are top of my head guesses I'm too lazy to redo the research from when I made my initial post), but like I said it doesn't really matter because the Mexican league is a better league than MLS.

As for the game itself, Shea changed the game when he came in. He was a terror on that left flank and USA finally created some chances since they had a player who could do something with the ball when running at defenders. Hopefully he's in Europe in 2-3 years and becomes a real impact player. USA got hard done at the end, but a draw was a fair result overall. I think Buddle and Castillo played themselves out of ever getting called up again unless it's an emergency.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
I counted Chicharito as a European player even though he hadn't played a game for Man U yet. The numbers aren't even close USA had like 17 European players and Mexico had like 12 (these are top of my head guesses I'm too lazy to redo the research from when I made my initial post), but like I said it doesn't really matter because the Mexican league is a better league than MLS.

As for the game itself, Shea changed the game when he came in. He was a terror on that left flank and USA finally created some chances since they had a player who could do something with the ball when running at defenders. Hopefully he's in Europe in 2-3 years and becomes a real impact player. USA got hard done at the end, but a draw was a fair result overall. I think Buddle and Castillo played themselves out of ever getting called up again unless it's an emergency.

that makes 2 of us. Yeah, the substitution Klinsman made won them the second half. I like Shea's game, but i dont think MLS is in a hurry to be selling players, which is bad for their national team.

Never heard of him before.

giaco

Liked Posts:
Brek Shea is a punk. But the kid can ball.