Guillen, Williams almost come to blows during shouting match

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
It became obvious Thursday that there won't be a pretty ending.

After the White Sox' 3-0 victory over the Detroit Tigers, the Sun-Times was told by a team source that general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen ''almost came to blows in a heated shouting match'' on Tuesday evening because of the draft fallout of Guillen's youngest son, Ozney.

On Feb. 20, the Sun-Times reported that Ozzie Guillen, Ken Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf would appear on an MLB Network reality show. Williams expressed his lack of enthusiasm.

In a wide-ranging interview in the Feb. 23 Sun-Times, Guillen admitted his relationship with Williams had grown tense at the end of a disappointing 2009 season.

On Feb. 25, Williams confessed to the Sun-Times' Joe Cowley that Guillen was using Twitter. Guillen said he "didn't do anything wrong."

On March 12, the Sun-Times reported that Guillen had plans to launch his own website until that idea was shot down by members of the front office. Williams expressed annoyance with the chain of events.

On March 20, the Sun-Times reported that Guillen's son Oney resigned after being told by Williams to tone it down on Twitter. Ozzie Guillen tweeted that the situation "hurts me."

In today's paper, the Sun-Times reports that Guillen and Williams almost come to blows during a shouting match after the draft fallout of Guillen's youngest son, Ozney.

If the relationship was on life support entering the week, it has now flat-lined.

There's no confirmation of the role Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf has played in damage control the last two days, but Williams -- talking on the team's website -- sounded as if he had come to the realization that if there is a power struggle with Guillen, he's coming out on the bottom.

''We are both very competitive men, strong-willed men,'' Williams told the site. ''I believe in self-assessment, and I think you have to assess all parts of our operation from top to bottom to determine if it's, in fact, still a productive working relationship.

''Whether or not the maintenance of that relationship is such that we still have the drive to get through some things and still have the drive to get through some differences ... I'm still in that assessment mode for myself, in particular.

''That should not lead to the assumption that I mean that [Guillen] is the one [who may benefit from a change of scenery]. If I determine that I am the one that is the cog in the machine, then I am the one who will stand in front of Jerry Reinsdorf and tell him so and step aside. ... I will not deny that I am growing weary of the soap opera.''

But Williams played a big part in producing the soap opera. The Sun-Times reported in January, after SoxFest, that egos and jealousy were growing concerns in the Williams-Guillen relationship.

And by the time family got involved during spring training with Guillen's middle son, Oney, resigning in the wake of his tweets about the team and the way he was being treated as an employee in the video department, it was obvious the situation was worsening.

One source indicated that Williams was instructed by Reinsdorf not to travel on road trips -- which he hasn't -- to avoid any confrontation with Guillen. But a confrontation couldn't be avoided Tuesday. Guillen watched Ozney slip to the 22nd round in the draft before the Sox selected him. Guillen then commented, ''I give my kid 50 grand just to go to school [at the University of South Florida rather than sign with the Sox]. I got 50 grand in my pocket to send my kid to go to Niketown or buy something.''

According to the source, that comment led to Williams questioning Guillen to his face, and the situation got heated.

If there wasn't enough drama, pitcher Jake Peavy was informed Thursday that Williams had demanded a day earlier that ''some changes need to take place.''

Peavy offered up a bit of news of his own, letting it be known that while change is to be expected, if it's a full rebuilding mode the Sox are looking for, count him out.

''I just want a chance to win,'' Peavy said. "I believe it can happen here. I'm excited to be in the situation. Nothing's changed just because we haven't played well. I'm excited to be in a situation where it's not going to be a rebuilding process. If that were the case, I would certainly try to be moved, but that's the least of my worries.

''It's just unfortunate, the situation we're in. I'm very happy to be here, but it is a nice feeling at the end of the day to understand when you can control your destiny and have a say-so.''

That ''say-so'' Peavy has is his full no-trade clause for 2010, and he may block trades to 14 teams in 2011 and eight teams in 2012, when he also earns 10-and-five rights.

His $15 million salary this season -- as well as $16 million next year and $17 million in 2012 -- makes him tough to move.

Ozzie, Ken in spite club :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: White Sox

Wow, anyone still wanna take bets on Guillen being fired this year?

MattAbbatacola12

Liked Posts:
this is a joke. i love the guillens as friends but this is getting effing ridiculous. im so sick of our front office and manager acting like a bunch of spoiled school yard children. grow the fuck up guys and run a friggin ballclub.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
What an absolute joke of an organization. They are just pathetic.

Only the Sox could and would turn an act of simple baseball nepotism into complete clown college.

MattAbbatacola12

Liked Posts:
its awful. Ozzie's pissy about his kids- who are way to effing involved in the Sox organization as it is and ignoring how awful the ballclub is, Kenny doesn't have the balls to stand up for himself or the integrity of the organization in general, Peavy's being a whiny little bitch.... and JR is sitting back smoking a cigar emptying his pockets watching a team succeed in being almost 10 games back while MLB network follows them around with cameras so the entire world can make fun of us later this summer. Friggin fabulous. puke.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
But really, Kenny can't stand up for himself, at least not to Ozzie. The reports have been that JR has said Ozzie being the manager is his decision, not Kenny's.

MattAbbatacola12

Liked Posts:
Well then Kenny needs to tell JR to either shove it or he's stepping down. Kenny plays into every little BS idea that Ozzie has and its getting ridiculous. It's not even nec that Ozzie needs to get fired right now- but Kenny needs to grow a pair and say "No ozzie, the rotating DH is NOT a good idea" etc. JR has made sure we have one of the top payrolls in the major leagues and we have a GM that can't manage the money properaly and a manager who is running the show like a puppet master and can't even play the pieces he has well enough to win.

Its just so friggin frustrating. Im getting tired of seeing the "ozzie/kenny" drama every day.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Anyone else wanna join me being a Nats fan as your 2nd fav team? Strasburg, Harper, Norris, Storen, Desmond, Espinosa, Zimmerman, Willingham, Dunn, and Olsen, they got a nice future ahead of them.

MattAbbatacola12

Liked Posts:
Anyone else wanna join me being a Nats fan as your 2nd fav team? Strasburg, Harper, Norris, Storen, Desmond, Espinosa, Zimmerman, Willingham, Dunn, and Olsen, they got a nice future ahead of them.

psh you read my mind- ive been on the nats bandwagon since spring training. I have to say- I'm all for it specifically because of drew storen. he might possibly be one of the coolest people ive ever met. plus ive always loved tyler clippard- ive known him since i was 18. im SO all over the nats!

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
haha ill always be a cubs fan but if the cubs disappear

HELLO YANKEES

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
psh you read my mind- ive been on the nats bandwagon since spring training. I have to say- I'm all for it specifically because of drew storen. he might possibly be one of the coolest people ive ever met. plus ive always loved tyler clippard- ive known him since i was 18. im SO all over the nats!

I can't wait to see Strasburg face us!

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Well then Kenny needs to tell JR to either shove it or he's stepping down. Kenny plays into every little BS idea that Ozzie has and its getting ridiculous. It's not even nec that Ozzie needs to get fired right now- but Kenny needs to grow a pair and say "No ozzie, the rotating DH is NOT a good idea" etc. JR has made sure we have one of the top payrolls in the major leagues and we have a GM that can't manage the money properaly and a manager who is running the show like a puppet master and can't even play the pieces he has well enough to win.

Its just so friggin frustrating. Im getting tired of seeing the "ozzie/kenny" drama every day.

The word is that Kenny wasn't on board with the rotating DH from the get-go, but word came down from the chairman to give Ozzie what he wants and let him actually "manage". It seems as though Kenny was just feeding Ozzie enough rope to hang himself with from the start.

And Ozzie really does need to be fired. He's a horrible manager. His use of 1-run strategies is deplorable to say the least, and he has consistently demonstrated that "his" guys will get playing time, their abilities and production be damned. Juan Pierre, Omar Vizquel, Mark Kotsay and Alexei are guys that Ozzie has been determined to play or insert in the lineup wherever and whenever he can, and that's just this year; his entire tenure with the Sox has been filled with crap like this (Darin Erstad, Rob Mackowiak, DeWayne Wise, Jerry Owens, Jose Contreras, Octavio Dotel, Bartolo Colon and Juan Uribe also fit the bill of "they suck but get a tremendous amount of playing time because Ozzie likes them")

MattAbbatacola12

Liked Posts:
furthermore, the drama with the managment needs to filter down to the players as well. the players shouldnt be causing internet drama either.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
The fact that the White Sox continue to draft the kids of their employees is a joke.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
The fact that the White Sox continue to draft the kids of their employees is a joke.

Eh, nepotism is prominent in baseball, the Sox aren't the only team that does this, and I doubt it will ever truly go away. The best you can hope for is the relative of the kid you are drafting will be happy that the kid gets drafted at all, and won't go on some Special person rant about "respect" and shit.

MattAbbatacola12

Liked Posts:
Eh, nepotism is prominent in baseball, the Sox aren't the only team that does this, and I doubt it will ever truly go away. The best you can hope for is the relative of the kid you are drafting will be happy that the kid gets drafted at all, and won't go on some Special person rant about "respect" and shit.

I can see where Ozzie would think it was a little bogus, but it doesn't make it right. The drama surrounding it is ridiculous-- and the Guillen boys just keep making it worse by ripping into KW and the organization on Twitter.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I can see where Ozzie would think it was a little bogus, but it doesn't make it right. The drama surrounding it is ridiculous-- and the Guillen boys just keep making it worse by ripping into KW and the organization on Twitter.

Well, KWjr was actually a good prospect at one time, and while taking him in the 6th was a stretch, it wasn't like they took a would-be non-roster invitee and made him a top-10 round pick. On the other hand, the only reason people were projecting Ozney to go in rounds 5-10 was because the Sox org came out and said as much, otherwise there was little to no buzz about Ozney getting drafted anywhere other than the late rounds as a rookie ball filler.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
St+Louis+Cardinals+Photo+Day+6DAX30t2LSGl.jpg