MLB All-Time Draft?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey fisch I wish it wasn't the case, but look it has been over 24 hours and we have 7 people at most interested. That isn't enough. I just hope the activity picks up in the baseball or hockey side of this forum.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
have you tried sending an invite via PM to the top Cubs/Sox posters?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
No I didn't actively recruit people. I suppose I could have, but this was posted (thanks to fisch) in both the Cubs and Sox forum. I think most people saw it, and the interest just isn't there as far as I can tell. If you have suggestions about getting more people I wouldn't mind hearing it because like I said I would like to be involved in a sports redraft that I actually know something about.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'll bump the threads for the weekend dabs, and you can make the call then :)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'll draft up to three teams. I love baseball

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well if everyone who posted in here is still game that means we have 8. That isn't great, but it is enough I think to do this. I guess I will pose a series of questions here and everyone who is interested can post their opinions on the topic, and we can go from there about getting this started in the next day or two:

1. How many rounds should we do?
I think a minimum number is 9. I think the maximum number is 25. I think we have to pick 8 position players and at least a few pitchers (starters and relievers). I think having a DH would be a good idea (not required to be a DH in real life).

2. How should we determine the winner?
There are two basic methods that I can think of. 1 is how other redrafts have worked with teams being placed in matchups and voted on. We could split into divisions and play a round robin with the top two teams advancing in each division for a playoff. The other method would be to enter the teams into a computer game like Baseball Mogul and have it sim a number of seasons to determine the best team.

3. What criteria should be used in determing the value of the player?
Should we be looking at player's career numbers or their peak to determine the value of a player. This is an age old debate I guess, but is important to consider. I mean there are guys like Fenando Valenzuela and Doc Gooden who put up some of the best single season performances in history but through overuse blew their arms out and don't have great career numbers. How should people vote or what numbers should be put into the computer program to determine their value?

4. What are the limits to players being picked?
Do players have to have played in the Major Leagues? What do you do with guys like Stachel Paige who entered the Majors in his 40s well past his prime and was still decent. Clearly he could have been a very good, if not great, starting pitcher had he been allowed to play in the Majors earlier. I would say that we at least keep it to the 20th century and beyond (1901 or 1903), but I could see arguments for limiting it more to the second half or something else like.

5. Do we want to draft more than one team?
As a way to make up for the fact that we only have 8 players would you guys be interested in drafting more than one team? We could do this like basbeall for the first sixty years and have two leagues with each of us having a team in both leagues. I am not sure how much I like this idea myself, but it is a way to make things a little more difficult. Obviously players wouldn't be allowed to trade players between their own teams to create one stacked team if we did this.

I think those are the biggest issues. The draft order would be determined by random draw and snake. Biggest thing would be to make sure that people let the person after them know they are up in the draft so we don't get bogged down. Honor system to keep the draft going with a rough day rule per pick but hopefully moves a lot faster. Anything else let me know, and hopefully a few more people get interested in this because more people makes it more fun.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
:clap: sounds great dabs. I probably won't have the time to use baseball mogul, but I can do my best to make sure matchups are posted and the draft keeps moving.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I only suggested using Baseball Mogul as a way of determining the outcome. I really will leave the decision in those questions up to the majority. That way I know if people are still interested and we all agree on the method of doing this redraft.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1. 25
2. I like a sim but don't gave one
3. I like a cap which means we need to assign some salaried or do a traditional bid auction, not like the NFL one
4. Tottally open but vote MLB only. Too hard to project Negro Asian leagues
5. I can take up to three teams and agree no trading between them

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I also say two days a pick with exemption on sat and sun. No reason to rush it

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also say two days a pick with exemption on sat and sun. No reason to rush it

25 rounds with 10 teams picking, hypothetically speaking, with 2 days per pick would mean that this draft would be done after 500 days. I agree about not enforcing a strict time limit per se, but if things drag out to much this will die out too.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Maybe. But I'm committed either way. I'm a baseball fan first and foremost. We are different breeds then other fans

We could also set say an hour in a chartroom to knock some picks out

I wonder if Ruth will be first

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been in drafts where we draft 25 people for 30 teams. 10 teams should be cake city.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I put the number of rounds out for discussion because I figured it was more likely people would commit to it if they helped decide. Speaking of which, if you are interested in being involved, post your answers to the five questions I put forward.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Let's get this going again. It's been a good month since I cared about baseball given how bad the White Sox are. I'm ready for a draft!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can throw it out there again but I'm going to guess we are going to get a skimilar level of interest.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We can throw it out there again but I'm going to guess we are going to get a skimilar level of interest.
We could wait til Spring training or so :dunno:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Come on. Lets do this. I take babe ruth