The Lead-Off Spot

Lefty

Liked Posts:
For now, I think it would be best for the Sox to move Pierre down to the bottom of the lineup and go with someone else at the lead-off spot for awhile. Through 52 AB's, Pierre has a batting line of .192/.263/.192.

Obviously, I don't expect him to put a line up like that across the entire season, and it is also true that Pierre is making solid contact, but I would rather he wait for luck to re-unite with him at the bottom of the order, where he won't get as many PA's should luck remain aloof.

Also, it would be beneficial to get someone with a high OBP at the top of the lineup to get on base in front of the guys that are actually swinging the bat well in the lineup. Alex Rios and Gordon Beckham haven't exactly been setting anyone's pants ablaze with their ability to get on-base, but their .333 and .316 marks in OBP would assuredly be welcome over Pierre's atrocious .263. Mark Teahen has a .400 OBP thus far, and leads the team in walks in only 33 AB's, so other choices for lead-off man DO exist in the current lineup.

My point is this: the Sox can't afford to keep giving high-leverage PA's and a significant percentage of their AB's (Pierre has 12%) to players that are struggling to figure things out at the dish. Hopefully Mark Kotsay has seen his last days as a regular starter or platoon-man, and now it's time to move on to other anemic spots in the lineup.

EdRad

Liked Posts:
Lefty ... I do agree. I tired of seeing Pierre NOT get on base. Beckham would be my choice right now to fill the spot and see how it goes.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
I want Becks batting 1st and AJ batting 2nd.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eek no. Not with his OBP.

Becks 1st and Rios second is sadly probably our best option as of now. This team is OBP starved.

100% agreed and welcome here bro.......im dewssox79 from psd. this place is grrreat