Official Offseason Thread - CUBS edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why don't you want Fielder? I think he, or at least some big name, is all but a lock. They definitely want to compete next year. If they didn't, I think they would have found a way to get rid of Ramirez. If we aren't competing, Ramirez is useless.

main.jpg

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why don't you want Fielder? I think he, or at least some big name, is all but a lock. They definitely want to compete next year. If they didn't, I think they would have found a way to get rid of Ramirez. If we aren't competing, Ramirez is useless.

fielder is a lock for the cubs? is that what you are saying?..

fielder is not a bad option to look at..but i feel that if we go after him there's a good chance we throw money at him and go all in and then lose out..

i think the biggest concern is the pitching

we have demp and garza in the front 2 but after that it becomes a little more of a crapshoot...not sure what to expect from wells, and lopez and cashner are barely even starters

not to mention i wouldnt say the bullpen is 100% solid

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't keep Ramirez. Wright isn't having a great year this year, but I'd take him over Ramirez.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the first that I have heard of me quitting CCS.... interesting though.

It wasnt me.

Anyone who does "search Query" "live lake" dewssox79 or "search Query" "business" dewssox79 is probably not leaving

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

I'm not saying I don't want Fielder... just that I think there might be better uses for the cash. Also, I fear Fielder is going to be looking for a minimum of 7 years... and we'll be looking at a situation by year 5 that's even worse than Soriano's now. If I had any inclination that Fielder wouldn't begin to break down physically around the same time his dad did (age 33-34) then I'd be all over it. We also don't have the DH option like Detroit did to help him continue on for a year or two than what he probably should have.

If you can get him for a similar kind of contract that the Red Sox gave AGon... but at 5 years with a 6th year option.... then I'd say go for it. I just don't want to end up paying a guy $150MM for 2 big years, 2 good years, and 3 terrible years... and end up in another Soriano situation (though Soriano has never really had a "big year" with the Cubs).

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have to start working again (teacher).

I'll still be here, but it would probably only be for an hour or two in the afternoon/evenings.

ahh nice! that is a sweet gig. props

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ahh nice! that is a sweet gig. props

Yeah I can't imagine doing anything else, but that doesn't mean there aren't days when it sucks too. Oh well, I am not ready for the school year, but it will be nice to get back to work. It will be nice to not be fulltime childcare of the little one.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I can't imagine doing anything else, but that doesn't mean there aren't days when it sucks too. Oh well, I am not ready for the school year, but it will be nice to get back to work. It will be nice to not be fulltime childcare of the little one.

what grade do u teach?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
what grade do u teach?

I've taught everything from 6th to 12th graders, but I work for a high school now. This year I will be teaching 9th graders and a 12th grade elective with some 11th/10th graders as well.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
fielder is a lock for the cubs? is that what you are saying?..

fielder is not a bad option to look at..but i feel that if we go after him there's a good chance we throw money at him and go all in and then lose out..

i think the biggest concern is the pitching

we have demp and garza in the front 2 but after that it becomes a little more of a crapshoot...not sure what to expect from wells, and lopez and cashner are barely even starters

not to mention i wouldnt say the bullpen is 100% solid

No, a big name is all but a lock.

If we do go after Fielder, you're right, we are going to have to go all in and throw a lot of money at him. But, if we get him at like 110/5 or so, that means he need to be about a 5 win player a year throughout the contract to live up to it. I completely believe he can do that. If there is a 6th year option, that could end up hurting us, but if we don't win the WS in the first 5 years, it won't matter anyway.

I wouldn't keep Ramirez. Wright isn't having a great year this year, but I'd take him over Ramirez.

How do you plan on getting Wright?
I'm not saying I don't want Fielder... just that I think there might be better uses for the cash. Also, I fear Fielder is going to be looking for a minimum of 7 years... and we'll be looking at a situation by year 5 that's even worse than Soriano's now. If I had any inclination that Fielder wouldn't begin to break down physically around the same time his dad did (age 33-34) then I'd be all over it. We also don't have the DH option like Detroit did to help him continue on for a year or two than what he probably should have.

I think that if we give him enough cash over a shorter period, he'll bite. Even if Prince does break down then, he is a far better player than his dad, so we'll still be getting a 3-4 win player, where as Cecil only had 1 season over 2 WAR after 30.

If you can get him for a similar kind of contract that the Red Sox gave AGon... but at 5 years with a 6th year option.... then I'd say go for it. I just don't want to end up paying a guy $150MM for 2 big years, 2 good years, and 3 terrible years... and end up in another Soriano situation (though Soriano has never really had a "big year" with the Cubs).

I like the idea of that contract. I think he will bite for a shorter deal with more money, tbh.

But uh, did you miss 2007? Soriano was a monster that year. He was a 7 win player. If that doesn't do it for you, he had a .380 wOBA. He was really really really good.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've taught everything from 6th to 12th graders, but I work for a high school now. This year I will be teaching 9th graders and a 12th grade elective with some 11th/10th graders as well.

What subject(s)?

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I think that if we give him enough cash over a shorter period, he'll bite. Even if Prince does break down then, he is a far better player than his dad, so we'll still be getting a 3-4 win player, where as Cecil only had 1 season over 2 WAR after 30.

I like the idea of that contract. I think he will bite for a shorter deal with more money, tbh.

But uh, did you miss 2007? Soriano was a monster that year. He was a 7 win player. If that doesn't do it for you, he had a .380 wOBA. He was really really really good.

I don't think there's a question that Prince is a lot better than Cecil ever was. However, unless you're name is George Herman Ruth or you spent 80% of your career as a DH (David Ortiz), the odds on you being in the same physical stature of either Fielder and lasting beyond the age of 33-35 is extremely unlikely. Prince is 27 right now. He'll be 28 by the time next season comes around. A 5-year contract will get him to 33, a 6th year option will get him to 34. Anything beyond that is extremely risky. Heck, that long of a contract is risky. I think you could probably get for that kind of length if you offer a $25MM annual average. Doing that will greatly hinder how you can make any other needed moves.

Oh, and while a .299 BA/.337 OBP 33 HR and 70 RBI is a good season... you better be doing more than that when you just signed a contract worth $138M. That should be your down year... not the best year of the contract. Especially when you are coming off of a season where you pulled a .351 OBP, and went 40/40 with 95 RBI and 119 runs while leading off for the worst offensive team in the majors.

Status
Not open for further replies.