Official Offseason Thread - CUBS edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Mark Reynolds to see if the Orioles would be interested in parting with him, but Reynolds would make Ramirez look like a gold glover at 3B.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, because who exactly gives us a better shot to win at 3B? Mark DeRosa? lol

Ramirez can't handle the pressure of contending. He shits his pants in the spotlight. Since the Cubs tanked, he's started to hit homers. He's irrelevant.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Yeah, because who exactly gives us a better shot to win at 3B? Mark DeRosa? lol

No one that will be on the FA market. However, Wright is believed to be a trade candidate this offseason. I would have thought Young might be available, but the Rangers traded the one guy that might have created that possibility.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ramirez can't handle the pressure of contending. He shits his pants in the spotlight. Since the Cubs tanked, he's started to hit homers. He's irrelevant.

My god why do we have to spout this nonsense again and again. Did he suddenly forgot how to hit when it mattered just because a couple years in a row when the Cubs were terrible he got off to a slow start?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My god why do we have to spout this nonsense again and again. Did he suddenly forgot how to hit when it mattered just because a couple years in a row when the Cubs were terrible he got off to a slow start?

you have to admit he does play well when the games dont matter. cmon now.

and 16 million for him....please

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
you have to admit he does play well when the games dont matter. cmon now.

and 16 million for him....please

And you have to admit that he has played well when the games do mean matter...

I am not commenting one way or the other about bringing Ramirez back. I just get tired of how the story changes on Aramis to match whatever has happened in the most recent seasons.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:

That's the thing. He's consistent. Consistent at getting off to a bad start and playing well down the stretch when there's no pressure. IMO he has no business being on a contender. He's a choke artist.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He can't handle the pressure of contending? Did you miss 07 & 08 when Ramirez was a top 3B in all of baseball?

He is flat out one of the best 3B in the game right now. While it is sad that 3B is that bad, why get rid of him when there are no better options out there?

Oh and since you think Ramirez can't handle pressure, take a look at WPA, it will show you that Ramirez's only below average year in terms of coming through, clutch, helping the team to win, was last year.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He can't handle the pressure of contending? Did you miss 07 & 08 when Ramirez was a top 3B in all of baseball?

He is flat out one of the best 3B in the game right now. While it is sad that 3B is that bad, why get rid of him when there are no better options out there?

Oh and since you think Ramirez can't handle pressure, take a look at WPA, it will show you that Ramirez's only below average year in terms of coming through, clutch, helping the team to win, was last year.

Lol here we go. :obama:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's the thing. He's consistent. Consistent at getting off to a bad start and playing well down the stretch when there's no pressure. IMO he has no business being on a contender. He's a choke artist.

That is just factually wrong. It has happened the past two seasons. In 2009 he was hitting .333/.375/.500 before he got hurt. He was huge for the team in 2007 down the stretch when the club was fighting and clawing for a playoff spot. Two years in a row this has happened, but to act like this has been his career pattern is wrong.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He is a choke artist? Oh my god... You have no idea what you're talking about. How does he "choke" at all?

Bad start? Yeah, his sOPS of 114 this April was sooooo bad. God damn him for being above average! Damn him to hell!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Fuck, can't this shit wait until the off-season?

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is just factually wrong. It has happened the past two seasons. In 2009 he was hitting .333/.375/.500 before he got hurt. He was huge for the team in 2007 down the stretch when the club was fighting and clawing for a playoff spot. Two years in a row this has happened, but to act like this has been his career pattern is wrong.

What did he do in the playoffs? :thinking:

That's right. 2-23 in 6 games over the span of 2007-2008.

:lmao:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Alex Rodriguez and David Wright say hi.

To save the Cubs $16M they don't have

Let's look at 07-08, when the Cubs needed Rammy the most. .080 batting average. Cubs lose 6 games. Those are the best 2 stats I need to prove Ramirez isn't clutch.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is a choke artist? Oh my god... You have no idea what you're talking about. How does he "choke" at all?

Bad start? Yeah, his sOPS of 114 this April was sooooo bad. God damn him for being above average! Damn him to hell!

2-23 in the playoffs. Chew on that, you little shit.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What did he do in the playoffs? :thinking:

That's right. 2-23 in 6 games over the span of 2007-2008.

:lmao:

This is a pointless argument because you are clearly ignoring sample size and picking at most a 100 ABs of a guys career to determine how they perform in pressure situations. There is no point in continuing this because you ignore all evidence that is contrary.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Alex Rodriguez and David Wright say hi.

To save the Cubs $16M they don't have

Let's look at 07-08, when the Cubs needed Rammy the most. .080 batting average. Cubs lose 6 games. Those are the best 2 stats I need to prove Ramirez isn't clutch.

But but but his OBP was .068 points higher than his AVG in the 08 Post-season! The guy can draw a walk! :smug:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a pointless argument because you are clearly ignoring sample size and picking at most a 100 ABs of a guys career to determine how they perform in pressure situations. There is no point in continuing this because you ignore all evidence that is contrary.

Yeah, because the playoffs don't mean anything.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
OK he had a great 07, 08, 09. But when the Cubs needed him most, he faltered plain and simple. They needed him the most in the playoffs, and Ramirez disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.