CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can hear a case for the Scottie led Bulls after the first three-peat

lolwut?

for me its probably 86 celtics and 96 bulls

though i think its close between the bulls and celts

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
What's woth this fascination with the celtics? The lakers smashed them two out of the three time they played.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
96 Bulls

That season, the Bulls played like they had a chip on their shoulder. Jordan wanted it bad, Rodman wanted it bad, Toni was comfortable in the league, Haley kept Dennis calm(er), the garbage minute guys were trying to raise their stock, Phil was still on talking terms with Krause, and Pippen took ownership of the team. 97-98 were NOT the same. Maybe if you look on paper, but the feel, the energy, the chemistry, the health, the relationships... 96 was the best team ever.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's woth this fascination with the celtics? The lakers smashed them two out of the three time they played.

The Lakers and Celtics were both amazing teams. I wouldn't hold it against anybody who said that they were better than the Bulls. I wouldn't agree but I know where they are coming from.

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
The Lakers and Celtics were both amazing teams. I wouldn't hold it against anybody who said that they were better than the Bulls. I wouldn't agree but I know where they are coming from.

They were amazing. I guess its the simplistic reasoning. Like heff saying the the 86 celtics have a case cuz they win 4/5 "matchups" vs the bulls. They also had the same advantage vs the lakers. Even greater.

Magic vs Ainge? Lakers
Scott vs Johnson? Celtics
Worthy vs Bird? Celtics
Green vs Mchale? Celtics
An older Jabaar vs Parrish? Celtics

Yet the lakers managed to win two out of three seasons.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They were amazing. I guess its the simplistic reasoning. Like heff saying the the 86 celtics have a case cuz they win 4/5 "matchups" vs the bulls. They also had the same advantage vs the lakers. Even greater.

Magic vs Ainge? Lakers
Scott vs Johnson? Celtics
Worthy vs Bird? Celtics
Green vs Mchale? Celtics
An older Jabaar vs Parrish? Celtics

Yet the lakers managed to win two out of three seasons.

first of all, we are talking about one season...you have to consider the fluctuation between seasons due to age,injuries,players leaving

that team was 1st in the league in D, 3rd in offense had 4 or 5 HOFers

swept the lakers in the reg. season

and only lost 3 games in the playoffs

now the bulls were 1st in offense and defense..though i think the celts had better competition when it came to teams offensively(showtime lakers,etc.)

i think a case can be made either way

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
You can never judge a game by matchups as if the teams play one on one. Look at this past finals for instance. Id say due to the fact that shawn marion did his job better than james diid his, id say dallas won that matchup.

Statistiically magic had a better finals than paxson but but when you factor in that paxson doubled his ppg output in the finals vs him, id say the bulls won that matchup.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the 04 dream team have the much more talented squad? How'd that work out?

Paxson outplayed Magic? Lol...I'm good...

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
Paxson outplayed Magic? Lol...I'm good...

He outplayed magic in that he doubled his scoring out put. Meaning his own. I believe he went from 9 to 18 ppg in that finals. Including a few games where he shot aboove 60%. Not in a head to head matchup.

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
first of all, we are talking about one season...you have to consider the fluctuation between seasons due to age,injuries,players leaving

that team was 1st in the league in D, 3rd in offense had 4 or 5 HOFers

swept the lakers in the reg. season

and only lost 3 games in the playoffs

now the bulls were 1st in offense and defense..though i think the celts had better competition when it came to teams offensively(showtime lakers,etc.)

i think a case can be made either way

Better competition? This is a myth. they didn't play the lakers in 86. They played the 52 in rockets. And this was right after beating the bucks who were injured.

What do you mean better competition?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
He outplayed magic in that he doubled his scoring out put. Meaning his own. I believe he went from 9 to 18 ppg in that finals. Including a few games where he shot aboove 60%. Not in a head to head matchup.

You believe wrong...head to head, overall output...whatever. Paxson outplayed Magic? Again, I'm good. The only player that outplayed Magic was Jordan for sure, Pippen arguably...

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
You believe wrong...head to head, overall output...whatever. Paxson outplayed Magic? Again, I'm good. The only player that outplayed Magic was Jordan for sure, Pippen arguably...

As far as doing their respective jobs, paxson outplayed magic. Get away from the stats hou.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Better competition? This is a myth. they didn't play the lakers in 86. They played the 52 in rockets. And this was right after beating the bucks who were injured.

What do you mean better competition?

i guess i wasnt being clear enough

boston swept the lakers in the regular season of that year....

the lakers lost in 5 games to the rockets who in turn lost to the celts in 5 games

i meant better competition as in offense....80s centered on high powered offenses like the showtime lakers...that was my argument for why the celts were 3rd in offensive efficiency..while by the 90s with new rules implemented as well as overall change in schemes, player,etc. lead to less offensive juggernauts(in 95-96 the highest PPG total was 105 PPG...in 85-86 it was 117)

i didnt mean competition overall....

Last edited:

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
As far as doing their respective jobs, paxson outplayed magic. Get away from the stats hou.

Better yet, Hue needs a copy of the 91 finals...I'm seriously thinking about sending him a copy.....Especially The closing game 5 where Pippen lead all scorers and almost every other stat............Oh, and Paxson did outplay Magic, so did B.j Armstrong.....LoL

pippen-dunks-on-ewing-o.gif

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
i guess i wasnt being clear enough

boston swept the lakers in the regular season of that year....

the lakers lost in 5 games to the rockets who in turn lost to the celts in 5 games

i meant better competition as in offense....80s centered on high powered offenses like the showtime lakers...that was my argument for why the celts were 3rd in offensive efficiency..while by the 90s with new rules implemented as well as overall change in schemes, player,etc. lead to less offensive juggernauts(in 95-96 the highest PPG total was 105 PPG...in 85-86 it was 117)

i didnt mean competition overall....

The league was different when comparing the 86 season to 96. But that doesn't mean there was more competition because scoring was higher in the 80s.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some of you will defend the Bulls to death just for the sake of doing it.

The 1996 Bulls nor the 1991-1992 Bulls nor the Pippen Bulls are flawless. The 1987 Lakers and 1986 Celtics surely could beat them.

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
Better yet, Hue needs a copy of the 91 finals...I'm seriously thinking about sending him a copy.....Especially The closing game 5 where Pippen lead all scorers and almost every other stat............Oh, and Paxson did outplay Magic, so did B.j Armstrong.....LoL

pippen-dunks-on-ewing-o.gif

It just goes back to my assertion that defense is just as important as offense. Sure magic had his typical 19/6/11 series. That's expected. But you don't expect paxson, who was avg damn near 17 ppg on 60% shooting. Paxsons job was to make teams pay for trying to double off him. And he did that amazingly well in that series.

97Bulls

Liked Posts:
Some of you will defend the Bulls to death just for the sake of doing it.

The 1996 Bulls nor the 1991-1992 Bulls nor the Pippen Bulls are flawless. The 1987 Lakers and 1986 Celtics surely could beat them.

Obviously any team could beat another. Theyre all pros. And the 87 lakers and 86 celtics are superb teams. I just don't see why there is an assumption that the celts had more competition.

And why are you so determined to attack bulls fans?

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The league was different when comparing the 86 season to 96. But that doesn't mean there was more competition because scoring was higher in the 80s.

you misunderstood me again

my point was that the offensive nature of the game was very different in 86 than it was in 96..in that there was high paced offenses in 86 than there were 96...again look at the stat i posted earlier

i brought that up to make a justification for why boston was 3rd in offensive rating and efficiency

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously any team could beat another. Theyre all pros. And the 87 lakers and 86 celtics are superb teams. I just don't see why there is an assumption that the celts had more competition.

And why are you so determined to attack bulls fans?

Do you reallllllllly think that the 80's was that much different in terms of the level of competition was from the 90's?

It's absolutely absurd to try to make a case that one era was much more highly competitive, or had much better quality teams, than the other.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

Paxson's job was to hit open shots when Jordan was getting quadruple-teamed...Magic's job was to....BE MAGIC FRIGGIN' JOHNSON!

I am not just looking at stats, though you grossly misrepresented the facts statistically yourself. Paxson averaged 13 points and Magic had 2 triple doubles and was a lot closer to averaging a triple double for the series than Paxson was to 18 points...I don't care how you look at it, Paxson's 13 points doesn't add up to what you consider Magic's "typical" expectations.

You are the one who need to take off the Bulls-colored glasses...