Rafa Marquez calls out teammates, suspended 1 game.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
New York Red Bulls coach Hans Backe has suspended star defender Rafa Márquez for one game because of his postgame outburst critical of teammates Wednesday night.

Márquez, one of New York's Designated Players, will miss Saturday night's match vs. Portland.

When the Red Bulls allowed three goals in the first 21 minutes vs. Real Salt Lake on Wednesday, Red Bulls fans directed their booing at Márquez. After the game, he at first got defensive and then went on the offensive, blaming everyone but himself for the team's shortcomings.

“If you watched the game, there were individual errors that you can’t do anything about,” Márquez, 32, told Empire of Soccer. “If we look at statistics, I stole a lot of balls. I think I made two or three bad passes out of 30-plus attempts. I almost didn’t commit any errors, so I am not worried.

"I think I am playing at my maximum level and doing everything I can. I don’t have, unfortunately, four defenders on my level that can help me out.”

Márquez then threw second-year defensive partner Tim Ream, a new U.S. national team player, under the bus.

“Tim is still a young player with a lot to learn,” Márquez said. “He still has quite a lot to learn, and well, he has committed errors that are very infantile and cost us goals.

“I think that this is a team game, and unfortunately, there isn’t an equal level between perhaps (fellow N.Y. designated player Thierry Henry) and myself, and our teammates,” Márquez said.

Already beleaguered by a stretch that has seen the club fall from first place to fifth in the Eastern Conference at 7-7-15 and facing questions about chemistry, the Red Bulls now must handle the distraction caused by Marquez’s outburst.
Rafa Márquez suspended for postgame tirade - SOCCER - Sporting News

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Fuck, NYRB is playing Portland? We can only gain ground if we win AND they draw each other now :(

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
he stopped short of saying "I make more money than them"
:lmao:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I make more money than some people too :shifty:

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like Rafa :( I like Henry though and he doesn't call anyone out!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I call out fisch for being a troll, so I guess I can relate to Marquez here :troll:

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
i like Marquez, hes winner and it must be hard to deal with all the kids playing around him so poorly. Hes still playing at the highest level, thats saying something, given that hes torn his knee several times, but cant call out your teammates like that.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Good for Marquez. About time someone from NY showed some heart.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:

lulzsec.jpeg

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thierry Henry has heart! And also enough respect foe his teammates to talk to them privately instead of calling them out over the media :nope:

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thierry Henry has heart! And also enough respect foe his teammates to talk to them privately instead of calling them out over the media :nope:

Thierry Henry in MLS is the equivalent of Eto'o playing in Russia, but older.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I like this guy's teammates, they;ve kept our playoff hopes slightly alive :shifty:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm working on contributing here.

giaco

Liked Posts:
Rafa has played like shit in his time in MLS. He may have been commenting on how he USED to read the game, or how he USED to play the game--but if you've actually watched RBNJ this season, his contribution has been FAR less than advertised on the label when they bought him......

He was a great back in the day (although USMNT fans will disagree), but he is nowhere near when he used to be and has been absolute rubbish for Red Bull.....so, much like Wrigley, I LOVE him on their side. I LOVE to see RBNJ/Metro continue to fail. This season will mark their 17th season in the league with NO actual hardware to speak of--oh yeah....La Manga and the Emirshites cup......woa.

I not only hope the franchise goes down in flames, but anyone who dons their crest is subject to death by stereo (a la Lost Boys) or far worse, a management position at RBNJ.

in summary, Fuck'em.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rafa has played like shit in his time in MLS. He may have been commenting on how he USED to read the game, or how he USED to play the game--but if you've actually watched RBNJ this season, his contribution has been FAR less than advertised on the label when they bought him......

He was a great back in the day (although USMNT fans will disagree), but he is nowhere near when he used to be and has been absolute rubbish for Red Bull.....so, much like Wrigley, I LOVE him on their side. I LOVE to see RBNJ/Metro continue to fail. This season will mark their 17th season in the league with NO actual hardware to speak of--oh yeah....La Manga and the Emirshites cup......woa.

I not only hope the franchise goes down in flames, but anyone who dons their crest is subject to death by stereo (a la Lost Boys) or far worse, a management position at RBNJ.

in summary, Fuck'em.

yeah he might not be what he usto be, but i like em out there (with the National team, idgaf about Red Bulls) for his experience, though I know hes pretty much only good for a half nowadays.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

in summary, Fuck'em.

I don't want to see any MLS franchise folds, if that is what you were saying you wanted them to do... that would be a really bad sign for both the MLS and American Soccer, especially of the MLS's stability

giaco

Liked Posts:
No, I want them to continue to be around and to continue failing, continuing to give the Fire points every year--at least we can count on them for something.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks