1 Year in: Matt Garza Trade

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah the Cubs 100% for sure definitely would've been worse without him. How much better he made them can be up for debate

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza was Cubs ACE BY MILE had under 2.3 ERA in 2nd halve. He left 7 games with leads in 7th inning or later. He could had 15 wins easy

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
LOL at him making the team better. Are you high?

And if he was so damn good then why did teams like Twins/Rays dump him quick?

They don't seem to miss the great Matt Garza.

most people would call you a complete Special person for this statement

but i'm nice so i wont

Matt Garza was the best pitcher on the cubs this year...and frankly it wasnt terribly close

secondly he was 10-10(means jack because of run support) had a 3.32 ERA,198 SO, low FIP and WHIP

without garza..our pitching is much worse

i dont know much of the backstory about Min getting rid of garza...but i'm sure they wouldnt mind having him back

TB is always looking to trade for young talent...and if you look at the deal..they got some good prospects..plus they have price and shields

sorry, garza made the team a hell lot better

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at him making the team better. Are you high?

And if he was so damn good then why did teams like Twins/Rays dump him quick?

They don't seem to miss the great Matt Garza.

No, he is not high. Yes, he did make the team better. And I'm willing to bet you can't find a better starter on the Cubs.

The Rays "dumped" him because they have this guy named Hellickson, who is pretty much as good as Garza. Garza is more expensive, so they got rid of him. This isn't that tough, really it isn't.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Garza was Cubs ACE BY MILE had under 2.3 ERA in 2nd halve. He left 7 games with leads in 7th inning or later. He could had 15 wins easy

Yeah I read somewhere that our blowpen blew 7 of Garza's leads. That could be 17 wins at least. Marmol blew like 3 in a row for him. I was starting to think the guys in the blowpen had something against Garza for that stretch haha

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
I didn't like the trade then, and I still don't like it. Everyone should have known the this club wasn't going to compete this year. Hendry made the trade to try to save his job, and he mortgaged the future in Lee and Archer. Lee is exactly what the Cubs needed, a patient, potential top of the order hitter and Archer could have been a cheap building block for the rotation. Garza was the best starter this year, but where did that get the Cubs this year?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't like the trade then, and I still don't like it. Everyone should have known the this club wasn't going to compete this year. Hendry made the trade to try to save his job, and he mortgaged the future in Lee and Archer. Lee is exactly what the Cubs needed, a patient, potential top of the order hitter and Archer could have been a cheap building block for the rotation. Garza was the best starter this year, but where did that get the Cubs this year?

And look how Archer turned out. Hendry sold high. Good for him. You act as if the Cubs don't have Garza returning. We have him returning. The move was made more for next year and 2013, IMO.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
And look how Archer turned out. Hendry sold high. Good for him. You act as if the Cubs don't have Garza returning. We have him returning. The move was made more for next year and 2013, IMO.

Too early to give up on Archer. I understand what you are saying but IMO in 2013 (and beyond), Lee and Archer would have been more productive for the Cubs than just Garza. I do say all this with high expectations for Lee.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

when you wont be contending. pointless trade.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty large conclusion to make given that we don't have a GM, don't ya think?

not at all. has nothing to do with not having a GM.

2012- to think that you will contend in 2012 is 100% delusional
2013- to think that you will contend in 2013 is a big stretch

gm or not.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too early to say definitively we will or wont contend for 12 and beyond.

I'm sure if we get Theo there will be payroll to flex with.. I don't think Theo would accept this job if he doesn't have payroll flexibility.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

gm or not.

You don't know that. We have a LOT of money coming off the books and we may be getting out from under Z's contract, which would put us in an even better situation.

And until I see the debt affect us or Ricketts says that it will affect the team(in a large way), then I'm not going to buy into that because they have made several moves that make it look like they do have money to spend.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't know that. We have a LOT of money coming off the books and we may be getting out from under Z's contract, which would put us in an even better situation.

And until I see the debt affect us or Ricketts says that it will affect the team(in a large way), then I'm not going to buy into that because they have made several moves that make it look like they do have money to spend.

let me know how the offseason works for ya when pitchers and catchers report.

HeavyD

Liked Posts:

gm or not.

It is getting easy to make a turn around these days. Money coming off the books.

If we can get friedman or epstein I feel we could make a quick turn around as well. Prince Fielder (crosses fingers)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

gm or not.

The only thing that is a 100% delusional is pretending to know what will happen to 30 franchises with free agency, trades, call-ups and injuries affecting the outcome of the season.

And before I get the patented :rolleyes: that doesn't mean I think the Cubs are winning the World Series. I just think it is silly to make definitive statements about any teams chances with so many variables at this point.

Last edited:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Archer went to my high school.

True story.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Guys, you can believe in this team if you want, but let's try not to be :homer:s here, K?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys, you can believe in this team if you want, but let's try not to be :homer:s here, K?

There are surprises teams every year. It is silly to make predictions about any team at this point when the rosters are going to be vastly different in a few months. That is all many of us have been saying for a while...