2011-2012 Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrab66

Liked Posts:
i could only stay awake for the first period of pens v wahnucks but i liked what i saw, flyers v bruins was a good game, flyers look pretty tough...

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Detroit was really impressive last night for the first 2 periods. The 3rd period they looked very lazy and apathetic. Could be that they were up 5-0 against Ottawa. :lol:

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Detroit was really impressive last night for the first 2 periods. The 3rd period they looked very lazy and apathetic. Could be that they were up 5-0 against Ottawa. :lol:

Yeah, it's Ottawa. They're atrocious.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anaheim just beat the Rangers in a shootout. Bobby Ryan with the winner. Both goalies were fantastic all the way through the game.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Leafs are 2-0-0. Undefeated. :lol:

Colorado's goalie Zarlamov is keeping them in the game against Detoilet. Could be 3 or 4-0 if not for him. Hope they can score and get the W for him.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
HockeyBuzz.com - Richard Cloutier - Rumor: Gagner and Omark Available

I saw this article and right away thought of the Blackhawks as a possibility. While I think Gagner for a top 4 dman is a stretch, I would easily include Lalonde and more for Gagner - as I think we saw Lalonde is easily behind Olsen and we drafted some Dmen studs the last two years. I think he could fit in nicely as a second line center and maybe even recreate some magic with Kane. He is usually good for 42+ points on a terrible Oilers team, just imagine what he could do with the Blackhawks. I know right now Kane is the second line center, but I think this would give us a more permanent solution. Also, by solving the center situation, we solve who is going to be the left wing in the top six, as right now we have Saad/Smith/Stalberg/Carcillo/Anyone cycling through.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Columbus: 0-3-0 0 points :lol:

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gagner and Kane would be a bunch of talent and probably some sweet chemistry.

Definitely lacking in size, but that still hasn't held Kane back yet.

edit: Columbus is not good.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mentioned Gagner before, but to a couple posters here he is a "bum"

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Because he is. :confused:

Explain how he is a bum. His age and salary fit in nicely with the Blackhawks.

He is a #2 center with a very high offensive skill set. He is okay defensively (better than Kane) but he certainly isn't in the category of Toews or even close. He has nice speed and good hands. He has put up 40+ points (even while playing 60ish games one year) every year on a terrible Oilers team where he gets no support. This is finally the year where he has a little better support with RNH and Smyth back in the fold. Along with Eberle and Hall.

Please give me a good explanation of why he is a bum. I won't be holding my breath...

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Explain how he is a bum. His age and salary fit in nicely with the Blackhawks.

He is a #2 center with a very high offensive skill set. He is okay defensively (better than Kane) but he certainly isn't in the category of Toews or even close. He has nice speed and good hands. He has put up 40+ points (even while playing 60ish games one year) every year on a terrible Oilers team where he gets no support. This is finally the year where he has a little better support with RNH and Smyth back in the fold. Along with Eberle and Hall.

Please give me a good explanation of why he is a bum. I won't be holding my breath...

Thanks for saving me the typing :bowrofl:

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
HockeyBuzz.com - Richard Cloutier - Rumor: Gagner and Omark Available

I saw this article and right away thought of the Blackhawks as a possibility. While I think Gagner for a top 4 dman is a stretch, I would easily include Lalonde and more for Gagner - as I think we saw Lalonde is easily behind Olsen and we drafted some Dmen studs the last two years. I think he could fit in nicely as a second line center and maybe even recreate some magic with Kane. He is usually good for 42+ points on a terrible Oilers team, just imagine what he could do with the Blackhawks. I know right now Kane is the second line center, but I think this would give us a more permanent solution. Also, by solving the center situation, we solve who is going to be the left wing in the top six, as right now we have Saad/Smith/Stalberg/Carcillo/Anyone cycling through.

The problem is with using numbers from the Oilers- they are so bad, that any numbers that a player accumulates can be deceiving - meaning that Potulny had something like 32 points on probably an even worse Edmonton team, and he wasn't even able to crack a gutted Hawk lineup last season.

My point being, that I don't think that you can use straight-up stat analyses when the 2 teams are so disparate in overall talent -the manner that the Oilers have to use a guy will generate numbers on their own (through over-reliance, etc).

That being said, I don't necessarily disagree with a move like that - it is more along the lines of being careful... the Oilers are so bad that complete stiffs have put up numbers in the not so distant past as well.

Last edited:

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
^^^ Definitely an interesting point, but a few reasons why I feel comfortable with using this in terms of Gagner compared to Potulny (32 pts in 62 games).

1. Gagner clearly has the skill set of a #2 center. He got drafted high for a reason.
2. Gagner has consistently put up solid numbers, where Potulny has not.
3. Gagner has probably always been playing the role/position that he would on most teams, where Potulny had to play an elevated role.

I completely understand what you are getting at though, it is definitely risky saying his numbers would improve...but playing with a Kane and Brunette/Sharp, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.