paterno might soon be out as Head Coach....

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Am I the only one that thinks Paterno got a raw deal? Hell, he's gotten 10000x more dislike pub than the guy that committed the immoral acts (Sandusky) and the graduate assistant who LEFT THE KID IN THE SHOWER W/ THE BASTARD. He told his higher-ups, and yeah, he could've probably done more, and should've done more, but he's almost being labeled as the scape-goat for the whole scandal. He's morally at fault, but no more than at least 100 other people...he's just the biggest name.

It's completely repulsive what happened. the one at fault should have his sack cut off and fed to lions. but putting the majority of this on Joe Pa is pure garbage.

All that being said, I have no real complaint w/ him being fired...but there better be a long fucking list of people to be fired as well, and jail time for several, several others.
This.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
There may be some realllll shady shit go down by fans @ Sr. Night on saturday...

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one that thinks Paterno got a raw deal? Hell, he's gotten 10000x more dislike pub than the guy that committed the immoral acts (Sandusky) and the graduate assistant who LEFT THE KID IN THE SHOWER W/ THE BASTARD. He told his higher-ups, and yeah, he could've probably done more, and should've done more, but he's almost being labeled as the scape-goat for the whole scandal. He's morally at fault, but no more than at least 100 other people...he's just the biggest name.

It's completely repulsive what happened. the one at fault should have his sack cut off and fed to lions. but putting the majority of this on Joe Pa is pure garbage.

All that being said, I have no real complaint w/ him being fired...but there better be a long fucking list of people to be fired as well, and jail time for several, several others.

i agree..i am little surprised at the high backlash for someone who didnt even committ the crime itself..but i guess thats what happens when you are a high profile program coach and you let this stuff happen..the people who are well known get attacked first and in the highest degree

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree

but on the other side of the coin, he's the only one getting defended by some people also because of his name. I'm watching all these dumb kids on TV here outside defending him and ready to riot over this. But they're not upset about anybody else who's in trouble because of this.

The fact is he's equally at fault as several other people and needs to go but as with most things, there's extremists on both sides.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

You know, I just can't imagine that Joe Paterno isn't the most powerful man associated with that university. He could have easily told his friend to knock it the fuck off, at the very least knock it the fuck off on campus. He could have easily had all of his credentials revoked, but he didn't.

The other thing here is, he is the face of the team and university. When you think Penn State, do you think Chemistry Department? No, you think Joe Paterno. I'd be very interested to see what happens to their enrollment next year. I'd be very interested to see what donors are stopping checks right now. When you factor those things in, the guy has got to go.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Thats BS. They should have given him the option to resign with some dignity, and not just fold under media pressure and can his ass.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with what X said.

But also... being a football coach is a job. Just like working at a grocery store is a job. If you knew a fellow employee was sexually assaulting kids at the work place and didn't report it to the cops, you would probably get fired.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I agree with what X said.

But also... being a football coach is a job. Just like working at a grocery store is a job. If you knew a fellow employee was sexually assaulting kids at the work place and didn't report it to the cops, you would probably get fired.
Hell, I'm a teacher. If I weren't to report it, my career would be over.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

hahaha I was actually going to use being a teacher as an example since the job involves kids.

But it's true. Anybody involved with something like this, no matter what their job was, would get fired. Or they would step down before they got fired... which is what I thought Paterno should have done a few days ago

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
BNB's point is 100% spot on. No matter what job, child sex abuse should be reported, and if not, that person should be fired.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not only would your career be over, but also you may be indicted and/or liable civilly.

How sad it is that society has to implement laws to shove humans out of apathy due to selfishness or whatever. But this is the reason why...and to think these type of laws started in the 60s.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Yeah...i'm being VERY careful w/ this topic...my degree is in education, and i've worked in the social-work field for several years...it's touchy...but keep in mind that since Joe Pa didn't see the act (it was only reported to him) him going to the cops (who would've directed him to social services) would have done NO good. His best bet would have been to advise the one that saw it to go to the cops/authorities/social services...THEN things can get done.

And yes, JoePa was the most powerful man on campus, but even the authorities have a checklist of people to go through, and it would've had to get back to the grad. asst.

And that's where I stop...it's only speculation as to what went down immediately after the convo w/ joepa.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah...i'm being VERY careful w/ this topic...my degree is in education, and i've worked in the social-work field for several years...it's touchy...but keep in mind that since Joe Pa didn't see the act (it was only reported to him) him going to the cops (who would've directed him to social services) would have done NO good. His best bet would have been to advise the one that saw it to go to the cops/authorities/social services...THEN things can get done.

And yes, JoePa was the most powerful man on campus, but even the authorities have a checklist of people to go through, and it would've had to get back to the grad. asst.
I do not have to see the acts myself as a teacher in order to report suspected child abuse to the authorities. As a matter of fact, neither do my colleagues, my superiors, or even the custodians in the school.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I do not have to see the acts myself as a teacher in order to report suspected child abuse to the authorities. As a matter of fact, neither do my colleagues, my superiors, or even the custodians in the school.

I agree 100%, but have you ever done it?

I have, and it blows. They ask your name, address, and phone #, as well as the name, address, and phone # of the suspected parties. If you don't have at the very least a name and address, they will tell you "there's nothing we can do"...

And even if you do have that information, God knows when they'll "get to it"...

Anyone can report at any given time...whether or not anything is done about it (largely based off given information) is a whole 'nother ball game.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you reported child abuse before?

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

And that's where I stop...it's only speculation as to what went down immediately after the convo w/ joepa.

This sounds entirely wrong by today's standards. I don't know how the law was written twelve years ago in PA and your explanation may have worked then for Paterno, but certainly not now.

By your wording, if a kid comes in with mad bruises and holes in his story miles wide of how he got them, I, as a teacher, don't report it because I didn't witness it? That doesn't sound right at all and I'm pretty sure suspicion is good enough nowadays to be required to make the call.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I agree 100%, but have you ever done it?

I have, and it blows. They ask your name, address, and phone #, as well as the name, address, and phone # of the suspected parties. If you don't have at the very least a name and address, they will tell you "there's nothing we can do"...

And even if you do have that information, God knows when they'll "get to it"...

Anyone can report at any given time...whether or not anything is done about it (largely based off given information) is a whole 'nother ball game.
As a matter of fact, I have. And at the end of the day, knowing that I might have possibly preventing a child from getting further abused means a lot more to me than the hassle of having to give my name, address, and phone number.

And again, this is Joe Paterno and the State College police. If he said it, they would do something about it.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This sounds entirely wrong by today's standards. I don't know how the law was written twelve years ago and your explanation may have worked then for Paterno, but certainly not now.

By your wording, if a kid comes in with mad bruises and holes in his story miles wide of how he got them, I, as a teacher, don't report it because I didn't witness it? That doesn't sound right at all and I'm pretty sure suspicion is good enough nowadays to be required to make the call.

no, YOU have proof. Bruises on a child is the quickest ticket to an investigation. But saying "someone told me that......" carries absolutely no water whatsoever.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As a matter of fact, I have. And at the end of the day, knowing that I might have possibly preventing a child from getting further abused means a lot more to me than the hassle of having to give my name, address, and phone number.

And again, this is Joe Paterno and the State College police. If he said it, they would do something about it

The underlined part, I agree w/ 100%. But keep in mind, you don't need to just give your information, you need the information of the party accused.

The bolded part, it just depends. You'd think that it would get people out there quick. and again, i'm not saying Joe Pa shouldn't have done more...I'm just saying labeling him as the scape goat is far beyond wrong.