paterno might soon be out as Head Coach....

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Penn State Nittany Lions call off Joe Paterno's news conference - ESPN

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State administrators on Tuesday canceled Joe Paterno's weekly news conference in which he was expected to field questions about a sex-abuse scandal involving former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

Soon after, The New York Times reported that Penn State's board of trustees has had discussions about how to manage the 84-year-old Paterno's departure. The newspaper, citing "two people briefed on conversations among the university's top officials," said that Paterno's exit could come within days or weeks.

"Due to the ongoing legal circumstances centered around the recent allegations and charges, we have determined that today's press conference cannot be held and will not be rescheduled," assistant athletic director Jeff Nelson said in a statement.

Paterno's son, Scott, told The Associated Press that the decision was made by president Graham Spanier's office.

Scott said that his father was disappointed and was prepared to take questions about the scandal as well as Penn State's upcoming Big Ten game against Nebraska.

The news conference was to be the first chance for reporters to ask Paterno about what he knew about Sandusky, his one-time heir apparent, who was indicted on charges of sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years.

Authorities have said that Paterno, who testified in the grand jury proceedings that led to the charges, is not a target of the investigation. But the state police commissioner has chastised him and other school officials for not doing enough to try to stop the suspected abuse.

A person familiar with Sandusky's relationship with Penn State told The Associated Press that the former coach long maintained an office in the East Area Locker building which is across the street from the Penn State football team's building, and was on campus as recently as a week ago working out.

The university's online directory listed Sandusky, whom Penn State officials said was banned from campus over the weekend -- as an assistant professor emeritus of physical education in the Lasch building.

The grand jury investigating Sandusky found that he was given the office, a parking pass and other amenities as part of his 1999 retirement package.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poor Robbie Gould.

Reactions: BNB

DCguy

Liked Posts:
I really hope they let Paterno finish out this season.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If Paterno knew and didn't tell the authorities he's guilty

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Paterno knew and didn't tell the authorities he's guilty

Of what? Bad choices? Yes.

A crime? No. The police have already come out and said as much.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some people on Twitter are shocked that he won't coach next season.

Really? The dude is like 300 yrs old.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Of what? Bad choices? Yes.

A crime? No. The police have already come out and said as much.

He reported to the administration at Penn State, fulfilling his legal duty.

His moral duty, though, is going to be questioned if he didn't do anything else.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Some people on Twitter are shocked that he won't coach next season.

Really? The dude is like 300 yrs old.

A 300 year old, dementia driven, alzheimers effected, depends on depends Joe Paterno still knows more about football than you.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Joe's tenure in State College is over. If Tressel left at Ohio State, Joe will likely be gone as well.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
A 300 year old, dementia driven, alzheimers effected, depends on depends Joe Paterno still knows more about football than you.
Hell, Joe Paterno has probably forgotten more football than any of us could ever imagine to know.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Joe Paterno is a piece of shit for not feeling the moral obligation to do more than he did. Fire him ASAP. Who cares what he did for the football program in the past....that football program is literally ruined for the next 50 years. What top players is gonna choose to go to a program associated with that, even if all the people involved are gone? I wouldn't.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hell, Joe Paterno has probably forgotten more football than any of us could ever imagine to know.

You can remove the probably from that statement.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sources: Paterno to retire after this season...paterno will announce the decision today

quotes from paterno...

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief," Paterno said in a statement released just after initial reports confirming his pending retirement.

"I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more. My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this university."

Last edited:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Paterno gets fired before then. Why should this pedo-protector get to call his own shots? "I wish I would've done more" is laughable, you had 10 years to do more. Coming out 3 days after it goes public reeks of "I wish nobody would have found out I knew" and not "I wish I would've done more to help".

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He gone

Both football coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier are out at Penn State in the wake of a disturbing child sex abuse scandal involving former assistant coach.

Paterno said in a statement Wednesday that he would retire after the season, but the university's board of trustees met Wednesday night and decided Paterno would not be allowed to continue as coach. Assistant coach Tom Bradley has been named interim coach.

Spanier chose to resign Wednesday and will be replaced temporarily by provost Rodney Erickson.
Joe Paterno, president Graham Spanier out at Penn State - ESPN

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one that thinks Paterno got a raw deal? Hell, he's gotten 10000x more dislike pub than the guy that committed the immoral acts (Sandusky) and the graduate assistant who LEFT THE KID IN THE SHOWER W/ THE BASTARD. He told his higher-ups, and yeah, he could've probably done more, and should've done more, but he's almost being labeled as the scape-goat for the whole scandal. He's morally at fault, but no more than at least 100 other people...he's just the biggest name.

It's completely repulsive what happened. the one at fault should have his sack cut off and fed to lions. but putting the majority of this on Joe Pa is pure garbage.

All that being said, I have no real complaint w/ him being fired...but there better be a long fucking list of people to be fired as well, and jail time for several, several others.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just a sad ending to a outstanding COACHING career....

Sadly this situaton will just erase all the good things Joe did for Penn State. His legacy is destroyed