2013 Free Agent List

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who cares Ricketts is cheap
Yeah, if he passes on Fielder, I lose faith until I'm proven wrong. And passing on him includes some Special person 5 year offer that there's zero chance he accepts just so the fans can think "welp, they tried". Make a legitimate run. Fielder will be the last great player on the market that the Yankees and Red Sox don't want for a long time.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You can't look at this situations Ricketts being cheap. He has a new FO across the board, new manager, new coaches, new staff... this team needs to establish a direction and that takes time. Money can only create the facade of direction. Like several others have mentioned, if it's empty money (AKA Soriano's deal), than it doesn't matter.

And people need to stop pretending like if we sign Fielder this is going to be a 95-win team. Our starting pitching still has a lot of things to address, that was our biggest shortcoming last year. To me, I'd rather spend $25 million per year and a few quality starters, as opposed to $25 million per year on Prince Fielder when he'll be tossed into our lineup with no protection while simultaneously downgrading our defense at first base. I'd rather resign Pena if he's willing to take less. He draws walks, hits home runs and plays good defense, albeit while hitting at a .220 clip.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
With signs pointing to rebuild, bumping this a bit so everyone can fantasize about 2013...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bumpity bump since they updated this a bit:

2013 MLB Free Agents: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The Cubs are apparently going to have a lot of money coming off the books and won't have too much more to pay even with arbitration raises, so take a look at the list and see what you think. Trades and other stuff are possible but not really covered by this list.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Catchers
Brian McCann

Second basemen
Robinson Cano

Third basemen
David Wright

Center fielders
Michael Bourn
B.J. Upton

Right fielders
Andre Ethier
Nick Swisher

Starting pitchers
Zack Greinke
Cole Hamels
Dan Haren
Shaun Marcum
Brandon McCarthy
James Shields

Closers
Brandon League
Huston Street

Right-handed relievers
Grant Balfour

These are just some guys I would take a look at if the Cubs had a need at the respective positions and the money to make an offer. Not saying these are realistic options for the Cubs at this point, just a list of the guys that I like. :D

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Catchers
Brian McCann

Second basemen
Robinson Cano

Third basemen
David Wright

Center fielders
Michael Bourn
B.J. Upton

Right fielders
Andre Ethier
Nick Swisher

Starting pitchers
Zack Greinke
Cole Hamels
Dan Haren
Shaun Marcum:fap:
Brandon McCarthy
James Shields

Closers
Brandon League
Huston Street

Right-handed relievers
Grant Balfour

These are just some guys I would take a look at if the Cubs had a need at the respective positions and the money to make an offer. Not saying these are realistic options for the Cubs at this point, just a list of the guys that I like. :D

:yeah:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
cano would be soooo sweet

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keep in mind that there are a bunch of these guys who might decide to sign extensions so the list is likely going to change between now and the offseason.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hamels is the guy I want, but fully expect to be disappointed to not get next year.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Shaun Marcum :shifty:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also some of those guys are on Team Options. Cano has 0% chance of hitting market

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Cano isn't going to be on the market. I am holding out hope on Hamels because apart from that I don't really see the need for the other free agents listed.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Cano isn't going to be on the market. I am holding out hope on Hamels because apart from that I don't really see the need for the other free agents listed.

Hamels would be great. But Cubs still need to find some major offense.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hamels would be great. But Cubs still need to find some major offense.

The upgrades on offense are going to have to come from within. Rizzo, Jackson and maybe Vitters (highly doubtful still to me) are going to have to provide the increase in offense. But you give me a starting staff with Hamels, Garza and Shark as the front three with an average bullpen I think you can win a fair number of ballgames even with a poor offense.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The upgrades on offense are going to have to come from within. Rizzo, Jackson and maybe Vitters (highly doubtful still to me) are going to have to provide the increase in offense. But you give me a starting staff with Hamels, Garza and Shark as the front three with an average bullpen I think you can win a fair number of ballgames even with a poor offense.

This year though your seeing what happens when you have good SP, bad offense, inconsistent RP. Team is 7 under. Cubs 1-3 SP this year all have under 2.99 ERA. Maholm been solid for last 6 starts. Look around the league the best teams hit and hit.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This year though your seeing what happens when you have good SP, bad offense, inconsistent RP. Team is 7 under. Cubs 1-3 SP this year all have under 2.99 ERA. Maholm been solid for last 6 starts. Look around the league the best teams hit and hit.
Washington seems to be doing all right with an offense as bad as ours.

You fix the bullpen and this team is probably hoovering around .500. Better starting pitching helps the bullpen, but find upgrades there is key. Hence why I said average bullpen.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Washington seems to be doing all right with an offense as bad as ours.

You fix the bullpen and this team is probably hoovering around .500. Better starting pitching helps the bullpen, but find upgrades there is key. Hence why I said average bullpen.

Usually you can piece together a bullpen. TBR do it all the time.