2013 Free Agent List

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's MLBTR's list of guys who are eligible for free agency in the 2012-2013 offseason:

2013 MLB Free Agents: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Keep in mind that those with club options, if they're good, may have extension offers with their present team, especially with the new CBA stipulations in place that may encourage teams to keep their own talent. The list also doesn't include non-tendered guys obviously, so the Cubs aren't just limited to these names.

Just putting all this out there in case the Cubs' plan really is to punt 2012 and build for 2013 and beyond.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did the Reds extend Brandon Phillips' contract?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did the Reds extend Brandon Phillips' contract?

If Phillips is going to be 32 at that point I don't know if he's worth signing though because he'll be expensive despite being an All-Star 2B with good defense. But that's the Cubs' call. I thought a better option would've been to try to trade for Kelly Johnson or a similarly decent but perhaps undervalued 2B so they can save money for someone like Matt Cain if the Giants don't extend him.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Next year doesn't look very promising.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kendrick and Kinsler wouldn't be bad pickups. I'd take either one of them.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The starting pitching looks tremendous next year.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
No he's not.. Seriously.. STFU, it's annoying now.

WTF has he shown to spend money on? While other big markets spend Cubs keep cutting payroll. Wake up, Ricketts biggest FA was Theo at 3.5 mil.Watch out

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
WTF has he shown to spend money on? While other big markets spend Cubs keep cutting payroll. Wake up, Ricketts biggest FA was Theo at 3.5 mil.Watch out

STFU! It's the same thing in every one of your posts. It gets really annoying. They brought in Dejesus (not a bad signing), they brought in Stewart (decent trade might have given up a bit much). You can't just go out and bring in every big name available. Roll players win Championships. Look at the Marlins in 03 Cabrera was a fucking rookie, as in he was a roll player. Castillo role player Pierre role player Pudge role player Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett, there bullpen. they had roll players with a couple all stars mixed in. Hey look what we have. Castro, all star, Garza all star. everyone else roll players paid like they are all stars. You need to stop bitching and understand that we have to let the bad money bleed out before we start shelling out the big bucks. Ricketts isn't cheap he shelled out over 800 million for the goddamn team, tons on player development last year, and signed Pena for 12 mil last year. How many millions you got Mr. Rich?

Lex L.

Liked Posts:

Valid points. I'll hold off to see what happens before I go all negative on Ricketts.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand where d3a is coming from. It's been 103 years and now it's going to be at least another 3. He's impatient. I think we all are, if we're honest. Theo spent money in Boston and d3a and others as well are expecting the same to be done here.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
STFU! It's the same thing in every one of your posts. It gets really annoying. They brought in Dejesus (not a bad signing), they brought in Stewart (decent trade might have given up a bit much). You can't just go out and bring in every big name available. Roll players win Championships. Look at the Marlins in 03 Cabrera was a fucking rookie, as in he was a roll player. Castillo role player Pierre role player Pudge role player Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett, there bullpen. they had roll players with a couple all stars mixed in. Hey look what we have. Castro, all star, Garza all star. everyone else roll players paid like they are all stars. You need to stop bitching and understand that we have to let the bad money bleed out before we start shelling out the big bucks. Ricketts isn't cheap he shelled out over 800 million for the goddamn team, tons on player development last year, and signed Pena for 12 mil last year. How many millions you got Mr. Rich?

That has nothing to do with anything.

And, who cares that Ricketts spent 800 million dollars? There were actually higher bids than what Ricketts was offering, yet the Ricketts were awarded the team. Ricketts told his dad they should invest in the Cubs because the fans go no matter what. Ricketts has yet to prove that he's committed to doing anything meaningful to the roster at the big league level. Its fine if they want to cultivate the farm system but they're still a big market team. Ricketts is trying to enjoy the benefits of being a big market team, yet he doesn't operate like a big market team...at least not yet.

Ricketts has a lot to prove. So far it's been 2/3 years of doing everything but addressing the team that people actually want to go see. But he needs to step up with some value.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Go back to when he took over and tell me what you would have done. The team has been a mess since he started, he came into a terrible situation you can't just cure it over night

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
I understand where d3a is coming from. It's been 103 years and now it's going to be at least another 3. He's impatient. I think we all are, if we're honest. Theo spent money in Boston and d3a and others as well are expecting the same to be done here.

I think the bigger issue is that he doesnt trust Ricketts and there are a couple fo things behind this ranging from his comment to his dad about Cubs fans being suckers to Bud Selig not awarding the Cubs to the highest bidder because they want an owner who's not going to spend a lot of money.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Go back to when he took over and tell me what you would have done. The team has been a mess since he started, he came into a terrible situation you can't just cure it over night

You can't take the fanbase for granted either. He's been doing that.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the bigger issue is that he doesnt trust Ricketts and there are a couple fo things behind this ranging from his comment to his dad about Cubs fans being suckers to Bud Selig not awarding the Cubs to the highest bidder because they want an owner who's not going to spend a lot of money.

You can't take the fanbase for granted either. He's been doing that.

Very true. Many solid points and all valid. Ricketts still has a bit to prove.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Very true. Many solid points and all valid. Ricketts still has a bit to prove.

Yeah, to me, Fielder is really the time that Ricketts needs to step up. The past couple of years have been long and hard, and just because Epstein didnt go through them with us, that doesnt mean they didn't happen. If they don't step up and throw us a bone by landing Fielder, then I think you can certainly question Ricketts even more than before.

I'll be patient but in the meantime, Ricketts needs to be willing to spend money on guys who produce every year, which Prince does. In other words, Im willing to go to the games to see guys like Prince even if the team is bad. Just throw us a bone.

People need to really wrap their heads around how much not signing someone like Prince pushes the timeline back. And again, we've already been through 2 lean years under while Ricketts has owned the team.