All purpose Garza/Dempster trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The three-team trade might be a bit messy but could also be very beneficial.

Toronto gets Matt Garza

Cubs get Anthony Rizzo from SD and prospects from Toronto

Padres get prospects from Toronto only

That seems to be how a hypothetical trade would best work out.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Toronto gets Matt Garza

or a three way trade insert yankees for toronto who can offer us better pitching

but overall i like this kind of trade

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Toronto gets Matt Garza

Given the apparent interest in San Deigo for middle infielders, I could see Ronald Torreyes being a guy the Cubs got because he was interseting to San Deigo. I like the basic parameters of the deal, but I could see the Cubs sending a prospect like Torreyes and getting more back from TO. All of this is speculation, but it is certainly fun to envision turning Matt Garza into Anonthy Rizzo plus.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
or a three way trade insert yankees for toronto who can offer us better pitching

but overall i like this kind of trade

The Yankees can offer us better pitching, but there has been no indication that they are willing to move those guys. They weren't willing to part with those guys for a guy very, very similar to Garza.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Yankees can offer us better pitching, but there has been no indication that they are willing to move those guys. They weren't willing to part with those guys for a guy very, very similar to Garza.

thats the issue...what does toronto have in terms of pitching?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLBTR updated their Garza blurb:

5:12pm: The Cubs and Blue Jays continue to discuss a Garza deal, Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio and ESPN.com tweets. The Cubs seem to be prioritizing young starting pitching in talks about Garza, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. One executive told Heyman that the Yankees and Blue Jays have what it takes to acquire Garza.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
thats the issue...what does toronto have in terms of pitching?

Kyle Drabek is the guy that has the most upside that is ready now. He, as FirstTimer pointed out earlier, has sucked as a big leaguer though so far. A lot of their other top arms are in the low minors. Their highest rated pitching prospect according to BA is Daniel Norris, but he was just drafted last year and thus can't be traded until after the draft this season. Noah Syndergaard has a fair bit of buzz, but has pitched exactly 9 innings of full season ball. Same story for guys like LHP Justin Nicolino and RHP Aaron Sanchez. RHP Drew Hutchison is pretty interesting guy who as a 20 year old between A, High A, and AA put up a 2.53 ERA with 171 Ks to 35 BBs. RHP Deck McGuire is another guy that made it AA and put up some pretty solid numbers. Hutchison's and McGuire's stuff though tends to rank much lower than the guys in the low minors, and are generally seen as middle of the rotation at best types. Bottom line is there is a lot of talent there, but if you want the guys that have a shot at being top of the rotation guys you are taking a pretty big risk and are going to wait quite a while.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am excited that their demands for Garza are incredibly high and both the Jays and Yankees are stacked in the farm system with pitching talent.

If Jesus Montero's name comes into the conversation I am making the deal.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
San Diego.

James Russell, Randy Wells for Rizzo should get it done. PLUS we keep Garza. :troll:

I'd love to see a Garza for Rizzo deal....but the Cubs need pitching badly. There's some position players in the pipeline....pitching is fucking barren...even if you like Trey McNutt. Toronto would make some sense from that perspective then. Same with the Yankees. The Red Sox pitching spects....pretty blah really.

:doorrofl:

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kyle Drabek is the guy that has the most upside that is ready now. He, as FirstTimer pointed out earlier, has sucked as a big leaguer though so far. A lot of their other top arms are in the low minors. Their highest rated pitching prospect according to BA is Daniel Norris, but he was just drafted last year and thus can't be traded until after the draft this season. Noah Syndergaard has a fair bit of buzz, but has pitched exactly 9 innings of full season ball. Same story for guys like LHP Justin Nicolino and RHP Aaron Sanchez. RHP Drew Hutchison is pretty interesting guy who as a 20 year old between A, High A, and AA put up a 2.53 ERA with 171 Ks to 35 BBs. RHP Deck McGuire is another guy that made it AA and put up some pretty solid numbers. Hutchison's and McGuire's stuff though tends to rank much lower than the guys in the low minors, and are generally seen as middle of the rotation at best types. Bottom line is there is a lot of talent there, but if you want the guys that have a shot at being top of the rotation guys you are taking a pretty big risk and are going to wait quite a while.

thanks..looks like there are some guys in the lower leagues with some promise...but really the biggest prospect is drabek...he seems attractive..but as you and FT pointed out he was pretty bad last season

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not "writing off" anyone. I'm evaluating based on what they have done so far. I didn't say he will never get better. I just stated what he has done so far...which is true. The Blue Jays don't blow me away positon player wise. They have some pitching that I really like..especially compared to the Cubs utter lack of it..which is why I grade them out over all as "meh".

It's all reading tea leaves. All these guys could blow up. Or they could all flop.

Is it really fair to judge a prospect off of what they have done in a short amount of time in the big leagues? I mean they are prospects after all. That being said, I agree except with Brett Lawrie. Brett Lawrie is a stud.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it really fair to judge a prospect off of what they have done in a short amount of time in the big leagues? I mean they are prospects after all. That being said, I agree except with Brett Lawrie. Brett Lawrie is a stud.

And unforunately that is the one guy that the Cubs won't be able to get in a deal for Garza...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really like Gose. Him and BJax in the OF would be pretty sweet. Plus it appears he has quite the arm.

I worry about a guy whose approach at the plate hasn't been particularly good in our system. Granted this will hopefully improve with the new regime, but we have shown no real ability to develop raw prospects into actual impact major league hitters. I would feel a lot more comfortable grabbing 3 solid arms from their system or seeing if San Deigo has interest in some guys for Rizzo.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://twitter.com/#!/MLBInsideNews/status/152217582898909185

Apparently the Cubs want Turner, Oliver, & 2 position prospects from the Tigers for Garza. I love me some Turner and Oliver looks like he has a pretty good upside. I'd love for the 2 positions prospects to end up being Castellanos. That would be such a great deal. I think Castellanos is probably asking a bit much though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://twitter.com/#!/MLBInsideNews/status/152217582898909185

Apparently the Cubs want Turner, Oliver, & 2 position prospects from the Tigers for Garza. I love me some Turner and Oliver looks like he has a pretty good upside. I'd love for the 2 positions prospects to end up being Castellanos. That would be such a great deal. I think Castellanos is probably asking a bit much though.

Well it certainly appears like the Cubs asking price is going to be high, which is a good thing. Wonder who will blink between these AL clubs that are really involved in the Garza sweepstakes.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I worry about a guy whose approach at the plate hasn't been particularly good in our system. Granted this will hopefully improve with the new regime, but we have shown no real ability to develop raw prospects into actual impact major league hitters. I would feel a lot more comfortable grabbing 3 solid arms from their system or seeing if San Deigo has interest in some guys for Rizzo.

I'm really wondering if we could be able to trade McNutt or Cashner as a center piece for Rizzo. If the Theo Administration views Cashner as a RP, I think it'd be a good deal. As for McNutt, I'm convinced he's just a Mark Prior, minus the success, in the waiting.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm really wondering if we could be able to trade McNutt or Cashner as a center piece for Rizzo. If the Theo Administration views Cashner as a RP, I think it'd be a good deal. As for McNutt, I'm convinced he's just a Mark Prior, minus the success, in the waiting.

I hope they don't view Cashner as a RP since he is the only guy within three years of making the big league club with top of the rotation potential. McNutt certainly lost some luster after the injury plagued season last year. To be honest I am not certain what Rizzo would take since prospect for prospect trades are kind of rare, and the only prospect the Cubs have close to value of Rizzo is Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.