All purpose Garza/Dempster trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're looking at MAYBE one of those guys even being in the rotation by 2014.. It should be vastly different by then.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it seems that every cubs prospect that they have will be a success

it seems that every cubs prospect that they havent gotten yet in a deal will be a success

news flash....if you think that as a fan you will be kicked in the nuts.

They will have to spend money to win again, and it will take 4 to 5 yeas before that happens. If they want to win sooner they will have to spend a lot sooner.

The spending will ramp up as each year will pass..

Hopefully Castro and Rizzo are two cornerstones.

Build from there.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting those prospects, again, is predicated on the level of desperation displayed by Detroit (alliteration!) so let's see whether Garza is even traded first. Nothing wrong with fantasy, and waldo's is somewhat possible although a bit on the optimistic side.

It's Cubs fans, what else did you expect? :D

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting those prospects, again, is predicated on the level of desperation displayed by Detroit (alliteration!) so let's see whether Garza is even traded first. Nothing wrong with fantasy, and waldo's is somewhat possible although a bit on the optimistic side.

It's Cubs fans, what else did you expect? :D

not trading him would be stupid. lets say on the optimistic side you are contending in 4 years....will Garza still be this productive 4 years later? that is a huge gamble. you have to trade him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
not trading him would be stupid. lets say on the optimistic side you are contending in 4 years....will Garza still be this productive 4 years later? that is a huge gamble. you have to trade him.

I agree they should trade him. I'm just saying that it won't necessarily be to Detroit, or even this year. If they trade him in the offseason the new team will still get to set his arb salary and get the potential comp pick. So the Cubs could wait if they absolutely wanted. They could even take advantage of the aforementioned compensation.

They'll likely dump him this July though to whoever is the most desperate.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree they should trade him. I'm just saying that it won't necessarily be to Detroit, or even this year. If they trade him in the offseason the new team will still get to set his arb salary and get the potential comp pick. So the Cubs could wait if they absolutely wanted. They could even take advantage of the aforementioned compensation.

They'll likely dump him this July though to whoever is the most desperate.

I just hope for your sake he pitches better. maybe an offseason move could be better. he has a few weeks worth of starts to make himself look a lot better, if he doesnt best bet is to do it in the offseason and hope august and sept he pitches better.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just hope for your sake he pitches better. maybe an offseason move could be better. he has a few weeks worth of starts to make himself look a lot better, if he doesnt best bet is to do it in the offseason and hope august and sept he pitches better.

There's also the August waiver deadline. Basically every day he hasn't been traded reduces the value of the return the Cubs will get, and the last year of control plus possible comp only get you so far. He needs to be traded ASAP after the All Star Game to maximize value whether he's pitching great or still being crappy. The Cubs can still use the transactional features as leverage in a trade.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if they'll actually let Dempster pitch on Sunday.

----> track

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if they'll actually let Dempster pitch on Sunday.

----> track
I think Sveum/Dempster are pushing for it and Theo/Jed need to be convinced that it won't risk trade value if he pitches poorly/gets hurt.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess it's a matter of whether they want that last Volstad start to help set up a buffer against Houston and Colorado in the draft race, or whether they want to get Demp back on track since the Cubs will basically be off for the next several days...and would be on track to start the Friday game after the break.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess it's a matter of whether they want that last Volstad start to help set up a buffer against Houston and Colorado in the draft race, or whether they want to get Demp back on track since the Cubs will basically be off for the next several days...and would be on track to start the Friday game after the break.

I doubt the front office is actively making decisions to get the first draft pick. I am certain that the decision will be made entirely on whether this is more likely to help or hurt Dempster's trade value.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt the front office is actively making decisions to get the first draft pick. I am certain that the decision will be made entirely on whether this is more likely to help or hurt Dempster's trade value.

This is Dempster's spot on Sunday and it makes sense if he feels okay and the MRIs check out, they'll just let him go. He'd then get an additional start after the ASG on Friday before they realistically start the paperwork to get him out of town. The front office won't actively force the players and manager to tank but I don't doubt that's in the back of their minds to get as high of a draft pick as possible so they can spend more on amateur talent next year. No front office is ever going to admit that they're tanking.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
no one said they are the 27 yankees, but if you want people to stop ripping the cubs than I would suggest not coming into the sox forum making dumb copy and paste posts anytime a fan is excited that their team is in first place. if the cubs were in first you would be printing WS tickets as we speak,and you know im right.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
no one said they are the 27 yankees, but if you want people to stop ripping the cubs than I would suggest not coming into the sox forum making dumb copy and paste posts anytime a fan is excited that their team is in first place. if the cubs were in first you would be printing WS tickets as we speak,and you know im right.

That's only fair. If you're going to counter-troll, expect it to escalate. If you don't want to see it, don't feed the troll cycle. Goes for fans of both teams.

If you can dish it out, gotta take it like a man.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Wow really? delete everything except and then most that. stay classy dews.

lets make those simple. if call it like you see it is acceptable foe you then it is for everyone. don't itch when cubs fans post anything the least bit negative. and i haven't posted in the so forum for days and yet here you are.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

Unless he gets hurt, I see little reason as to why a 28 year old (turns 29 in November) wouldn't still be as effective as he is now at 31-33.

What concerns me is that his asking price for an extension is something like 5 years $80M.... Garza is not worth $16M per.... not when we saw guys like CJ Wilson sign for less than that as the premiere SP FA this past winter. Not to mention the fact that Greinke, Hamels, Sanchez, Jackson, and possibly Haren will be on the open market this winter... are all better options overall than Garza... and will probably be signed at about the same range (years and money) that Garza is asking for.

In other words... trade Garza for 2-3 solid spects... then use the money you would have spent on him to sign a better pitcher this winter. It's not like the team isn't going to have almost $90M of assumed annual payroll clearance (Ricketts has stated several times he's looking at a $150M annual payroll) to go on a shopping spree this winter. The FO could sign 2 front-line SPs to go with Samardzija, Wood, and a SP prospect received from Garza's trade for about $30-35M combined. There's still room for a couple of upgrades in the lineup, a bit of BP help, and an extension for Castro.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow really? delete everything except and then most that. stay classy dews.

lets make those simple. if call it like you see it is acceptable foe you then it is for everyone. don't itch when cubs fans post anything the least bit negative. and i haven't posted in the so forum for days and yet here you are.

I deleted it. Both of you shut the fuck up and take it to private messages. If you feel the need to troll, do it within the rules posted last month. Done.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
The Cubs wont go after big free agents until you start seeing prospects settle in.. Like Jackson and Vitters throw in Lake Baez Almora and Soler. Theres no point to sign a big free agents right now and let them waste years on their contract when the time wont be good for three years

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless he gets hurt, I see little reason as to why a 28 year old (turns 29 in November) wouldn't still be as effective as he is now at 31-33.

What concerns me is that his asking price for an extension is something like 5 years $80M.... Garza is not worth $16M per.... not when we saw guys like CJ Wilson sign for less than that as the premiere SP FA this past winter. Not to mention the fact that Greinke, Hamels, Sanchez, Jackson, and possibly Haren will be on the open market this winter... are all better options overall than Garza... and will probably be signed at about the same range (years and money) that Garza is asking for.

In other words... trade Garza for 2-3 solid spects... then use the money you would have spent on him to sign a better pitcher this winter. It's not like the team isn't going to have almost $90M of assumed annual payroll clearance (Ricketts has stated several times he's looking at a $150M annual payroll) to go on a shopping spree this winter. The FO could sign 2 front-line SPs to go with Samardzija, Wood, and a SP prospect received from Garza's trade for about $30-35M combined. There's still room for a couple of upgrades in the lineup, a bit of BP help, and an extension for Castro.

I believe that's what would be reasonably expected. Getting elite guys in return would be great, but solid is more than reasonable given what Garza actually is.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I deleted it. Both of you shut the fuck up and take it to private messages. If you feel the need to troll, do it within the rules posted last month. Done.

I also apologize for not having private messaged both of you to cool it, but I did delete the posts before the last one by Dewey and expect that you'll stop acting immature about the etiquette of trolling. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.