All purpose Garza/Dempster trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bet that will be a player the Cubs open talks with, but there's a good chance they get denied. They don't really have young SP close to the majors. If they were to get the catcher (I wish). Soto will likely be traded. With my guess, is the Rays.

I think D'Arnaud is thought of more highly than Norris, and I think the Cubs ability to trade Geo has little to do with who takes his place. The Cubs are more than happy to trot out the tandem of Castillo/Clevenger even if it is likely to be worse defensively and not likely to be an upgrade offensively.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay the thing that worries me about Dempster right now is that he might steer this deal to LA. Lot of reasons why he would be willing to go there not least of which is former Cub pitcher Ted Lilly (close friends by all accounts). I think that might drop what the Cubs get if Dempster isn't willing to go to Detroit or somewhere else that has a better offer. It seems like Garrett Gould and something else is probably what we are going to end up with for Dempster if that is the case.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Okay the thing that worries me about Dempster right now is that he might steer this deal to LA. Lot of reasons why he would be willing to go there not least of which is former Cub pitcher Ted Lilly (close friends by all accounts). I think that might drop what the Cubs get if Dempster isn't willing to go to Detroit or somewhere else that has a better offer. It seems like Garrett Gould and something else is probably what we are going to end up with for Dempster if that is the case.

Let's send Dempster to the Dodgers for Gould and another arm
and then dangle Garza to the AL.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Levine with a pretty non-update update about the situation with Dempster and Garza. Was really pushing the Dempster is going to get traded for the best package because he is going to come back angle, which I don't really buy (mainly because I think someone will give him a better offer than the Cubs will this offseason). Thinks the Cubs could hit a homerun with both Dempster and Garza though. Thinks that Barney is going to be traded and that Soriano will not (his logic was a bit weird though that the Cubs needed Soriano more than other teams).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rosenthal's update on the pair is that:
*Cubs will eat the money on Dempster to get better prospects (old news) and he is willing to consider going to any contender (again worried that if the Dodgers offer is anywhere close to reasonable that he will go there)
*According to Rosenthal, the Cubs were looking for a Gio Gonzalez type package for Garza in the offseason.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
olney stating that red sox making a push for dempster. I dont think thats a good move for the red sox since it will take a whole lot of luck to get back in the race.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Nice...dempster comes back after trading him. I like

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice...dempster comes back after trading him. I like

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

As I stated, though, this could be bad for the trade return, although it would mean that the Cubs could re-sign Dempster without coughing up a draft pick and still might get good talent back. Hard to tell.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
dempster coming back makes no sense for the cubs next year. zero sense

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

It makes sense if:

1. Face appeal, because Dempster is still good with the fans;

2. Don't have to surrender a draft pick;

3. Still a decent starter and likely would take a discount of some sort.

So it makes some sense but it's definitely not ideal for a rebuild effort. However, even during a rebuild you still have to field a competent team (relatively speaking anyway).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Red Sox are pursuing Dempster hard.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/16/report-red-sox-aggressively-pursuing-ryan-dempster/

The Red Sox have maybe the game’s best third-base prospect in 19-year-old Xander Bogaerts. He’s currently a shortstop, but he is outgrowing the position and most project him to shift to third or the outfield. It’s doubtful they’d part with him for a rental, though. They do have 21-year-old Garin Cecchini they can make available. He’s hitting .309/.389/.441 in low-A ball.

Young pitchers the Red Sox could deal include right-handers Anthony Ranaudo, Stolmy Pimentel and Alex Wilson and left-handers Henry Owens and Drake Britton.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we got Bogaerts for Dempster we need to start building statues of theo. I could see the Cubs taking what is perceived as less for dempster from the red sox give. Theo and Jeds familarity with the BoSox system. Id be real happy woth Duobront to be honest but arms like Beitron and Pimetel are probably more realistic.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
boston would be stupid. than again they traded youk for stewart and lillibridge who the DFAd today so nothing would shock me.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Dempster for Pedroia, Ellsbury or :gtfo:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we got Bogaerts for Dempster we need to start building statues of theo. I could see the Cubs taking what is perceived as less for dempster from the red sox give. Theo and Jeds familarity with the BoSox system. Id be real happy woth Duobront to be honest but arms like Beitron and Pimetel are probably more realistic.

I suspect a deal involving Bogaerts would be complex and require more players.

But maybe the Red Sox are in save their jobs mode and Dempster helps with that.

The Red Sox also have a lot of young talent at 3B.

Status
Not open for further replies.