All purpose Garza/Dempster trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Garza Talks Heating Up: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Trade talks for Cubs starter Matt Garza are heating up, writes David Kaplan of Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. Kaplan says the Blue Jays, Yankees, and Red Sox are involved, but the Cubs' asking price is "incredibly high."

The price needs to be high for this caliber of pitcher, especially with the years of club control still available.

If Garza is traded it's a no-brainer that the Cubs are in full-on DEFCON 1 rebuild and we should probably forget about signing Prince Fielder.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be interested to know the asking prices because the Red Sox farm is still recovering from the A Gonz deal. The Blue Jay are meh and the Yankees are pretty top heavy.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This of course doesn't preclude the original Garza-for-Rizzo rumor (with or without a third team). I think most teams would be interested in Garza with the thinness of the free agent starter market.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Farm system rankings, one of the first non-Bleacher Report links on Google:

2011 Farm System Rankings

If anyone can find a more updated version of the list, feel free to post it. Blue Jays are #5 in this ranking. Yankees are 4th.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Blue Jays are not meh. They have one of the best farm systems in the majors.

Disagree.

From the link posted above.. Drabek has been undewhelming thus far, J.P. Arencibia is a career .213 hitter. He has some pop but hasn't really lit up the majors in any real way. Hechavarria is young but a really promising looking shortstop..............see the issue here?

Zach Stewart isn't even on the Blue Jays anymore.....Yeah they have some nicer lower level talent(definetly better arms than the Cubs have) but position player wise I'm not blown away.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Disagree.

From the link posted above.. Drabek has been undewhelming thus far, J.P. Arencibia is a career .213 hitter. He has some pop but hasn't really lit up the majors in any real way. Hechavarria is young but a really promising looking shortstop..............see the issue here?

Zach Stewart isn't even on the Blue Jays anymore.....Yeah they have some nicer lower level talent(definetly better arms than the Cubs have) but position player wise I'm not blown away.

So you are ready to write off guys off after 1 year? I can understand you questioning Drabek after his horrible showing last year, but JP should definitely improve.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you are ready to write off guys off after 1 year? I can understand you questioning Drabek after his horrible showing last year, but JP should definitely improve.

I'm not "writing off" anyone. I'm evaluating based on what they have done so far. I didn't say he will never get better. I just stated what he has done so far...which is true. The Blue Jays don't blow me away positon player wise. They have some pitching that I really like..especially compared to the Cubs utter lack of it..which is why I grade them out over all as "meh".

It's all reading tea leaves. All these guys could blow up. Or they could all flop.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's a list put together by a blogger. I'm not sure if there's a more reputable source around.

2012 MLB Farm System Rankings With Top 15 Prospects

This is Baseball America's top 10 prospects in the Toronto organization:

BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: Rankings: Organization Top 10 Prospects: 2012 Toronto Blue Jays Top 10 Prospects

I'm not very familiar with them so I trust FirstTimer's judgment.

That first link is where I feel on McNutt.

Dude is overrated as hell as a starter.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
I'm not "writing off" anyone. I'm evaluating based on what they have done so far. I didn't say he will never get better. I just stated what he has done so far...which is true. The Blue Jays don't blow me away positon player wise. They have some pitching that I really like..especially compared to the Cubs utter lack of it..which is why I grade them out over all as "meh".

It's all reading tea leaves. All these guys could blow up. Or they could all flop.

I gotcha.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I checked Arencibia's minors stats on a whim and it seems he's never actually been all that good at getting on base. Power numbers are pretty good though. I guess as long as he holds down the fort behind the plate they don't really care about his on-base issues.

Hypothetically who would you want your Garza trade partner to be and what would you expect back in a fair trade?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
That first link is where I feel on McNutt.

Dude is overrated as hell as a starter.

I still think he's in the top 10, but at 10. I did like hm, but the injuries caught up to him and not a 'watch out' prospect anymore.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might take this with a grain of salt, Kaplan has sources but this is just off a facebook status update on his page.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hypothetically who would you want your Garza trade partner to be and what would you expect back in a fair trade?

San Diego.

James Russell, Randy Wells for Rizzo should get it done. PLUS we keep Garza. :troll:

I'd love to see a Garza for Rizzo deal....but the Cubs need pitching badly. There's some position players in the pipeline....pitching is fucking barren...even if you like Trey McNutt. Toronto would make some sense from that perspective then. Same with the Yankees. The Red Sox pitching spects....pretty blah really.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza to the Yanks has to seem the most reasonable. They have the pitching the Cubs need and of whom are close to the majors.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if Toronto really did bid as much as they did for Yu Darvish, then they probably want to commit some of that money to pitching and may be one of the more likely candidates to throw some pitching Chicago's way. Yankees are probably better equipped to absorb a blow to their pitching depth as they could just try to outbid the Giants for Matt Cain or something next year.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Jays sound like the favorite and if the Cubs were to deal Garza, the Jays sem the likely destination.

Boston doesn't have 'spects since Gonzo trade.
Yanks aren't willing to offer 2 of their top pitching 'spects. At least they didn't for Danks.

The Jays seem like they will and will offer best package either way. if it's good enough or now.

Yanks don't trade 'spects for players... they build farm system and open their checkbooks to players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Jays sound like the favorite and if the Cubs were to deal Garza, the Jays sem the likely destination.

Boston doesn't have 'spects since Gonzo trade.
Yanks aren't willing to offer 2 of their top pitching 'spects. At least they didn't for Danks.

The Jays seem like they will and will offer best package either way. if it's good enough or now.

Yanks don't trade 'spects for players... they build farm system and open their checkbooks to players.

The Yankees would be the perfect trade partner for the Cubs, but they aren't willing to part with their top prospects. Wonder how the Jays match up for the Padres as a trade partner (the always talked about Garza-Rizzo 3 team trade scenario)?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Yankees would be the perfect trade partner for the Cubs, but they aren't willing to part with their top prospects. Wonder how the Jays match up for the Padres as a trade partner (the always talked about Garza-Rizzo 3 team trade scenario)?

Yup.. that's what I'm sayin' about the Yanks.

A 3 team could possibly work with the Jays, good thought at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.