Down On The Farm:Cubs Minors Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All things about the Cubs Farm System here.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
How long does Jackson and Rizzo stay in AAA?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
How long does Jackson and Rizzo stay in AAA?

Jackson probably until end of May or early June, mostly for club control purposes and that's assuming he continues to hit and doesn't get into a slump.

Rizzo, probably whenever they get tired of LaHair.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool.

I think they intend to move him to 3B depending on his defense and how his power develops, though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You merged a thread? ZOMG Abuse of Power!!!!!!!!!!! :troll:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Meh.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was the guy I was most disappointed about losing in dealing for Garza. Baez is certainly going to be interesting, but I just cringe whenever I hear the Cubs drafted someone with a sweet swing and lightning quick bat speed.

The question is...does he make contact with that swing and bat speed?

I think he's slated to move over to 3B if they are really positive on his power potential though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think he's slated to move over to 3B if they are really positive on his power potential though.

In reading some other messages boards and blogs about Cubs Convention, I read that the Cubs were going to give Baez a chance to prove he can hold it down at SS before moving him to 3B this year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well as we disussed with Vitters it isn't just about making contact (since apparently Vitters doesn't strike out a lot), but recognizing the difference between a pitch that can be driven and a pitcher's pitch.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
In reading some other messages boards and blogs about Cubs Convention, I read that the Cubs were going to give Baez a chance to prove he can hold it down at SS before moving him to 3B this year.

I think that is true, I'm going by some of the independent scouting reports that suggest he's due to move to 3B anyway.

There's also theories that if Castro can't figure it out at SS they'd probably move him to CF since he has such good range. He might not have enough power for 3B and his arm is marginalized at 2B. But I'm not an expert, just doing some free-thinking.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well as we disussed with Vitters it isn't just about making contact (since apparently Vitters doesn't strike out a lot), but recognizing the difference between a pitch that can be driven and a pitcher's pitch.

Yeah, I think the Cubs will adopt the early Beane A's approach where they mandate that every minor league level teaches their players how to be more patient, although I don't know how one can actually "teach" patience, it sounds like something you either have or you don't.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that is true, I'm going by some of the independent scouting reports that suggest he's due to move to 3B anyway.

There's also theories that if Castro can't figure it out at SS they'd probably move him to CF since he has such good range. He might not have enough power for 3B and his arm is marginalized at 2B. But I'm not an expert, just doing some free-thinking.
I agree that it is likely that Baez will move off of SS, but I just was pointing out reports that I've read that suggest that move will not happen immediately. I like the idea of Castro in center far more than 2B (which as I've argued ad naseum last year would marginalize his strengths on defense (range and arm strength) and emhasizes his weaknesses (footwork and arm accuracy) and 3B (because he goes from being a premium offensive player to an average player at best), but I had yet to hear anyone beyond people like us suggesting it.

Yeah, I think the Cubs will adopt the early Beane A's approach where they mandate that every minor league level teaches their players how to be more patient, although I don't know how one can actually "teach" patience, it sounds like something you either have or you don't.

I used to believe pretty heavily that patience could not be taught, and I think that to a degree that remains true. However, fangraphs had an interesting article a while back that I just happen to see mentioned on another message board that talked about BB and K rates improving and declining over time, and it suggests that players can improve them over time more than at least I thought was possible than the few outliers (guys like Sosa usually come to mind).

miCubs

Liked Posts:
Cubs would have quite the Iowa roster with him and Rizzo apart of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.