Around The Majors: All MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pena's situation reminds me of a quote from a psychology teacher.

:elephant:

Though Pena had stated early on that he wanted to stay with the Cubs but wanted a multiyear deal. That might have changed with the Cubs going into rebuild mode and Pena might have been lying. The desire for a multiyear deal is why he rejected arbitration because arbitration would have been a 1 year deal. Again this is looking to be a pretty poor offseason for Boras.

And while it might not be all about the money*, it is usually the most important factor driving human beings decisions in nearly every facet of life.

*I am referring to the abstract concept of money as the means to acquire the things one needs and desires.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not as much money as he probably would've liked but I'm pretty sure Carlos Pena will live :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not as much money as he probably would've liked but I'm pretty sure Carlos Pena will live :lol:

I don't feel bad for Pena, but there is only three possible explanations for how Pena is getting paid less than last year despite having a better season.

1)Boras seriously miscalculated the market for Pena in thinking that he could get him a multiyear deal

2)Pena is a really, really nice guy for turning down the extra money

3)Pena despite everything he said while he was here really hated Chicago and or the Cubs, and was willing to turn down the virtually guaranteed raise he would have gotten in arbitration for a 2.75 million paycut.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's a combination of 1 and 3. Pena knew that Chicago was going to suck but couldn't find a better deal, so he went back to a good situation with a good young core of players where he knew he could best contend.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's a combination of 1 and 3. Pena knew that Chicago was going to suck but couldn't find a better deal, so he went back to a good situation with a good young core of players where he knew he could best contend.

I think it was 1 and then it became 3 because of 1.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Burnett could do well in NLC. Going from hardest division to weakest. Also helps going from AL to NL. I could see 3.50-3.75 ERA for PIT

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
AJ Burnett trade officially official per Jon Heyman's Twitter.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
OT: A.J. Burnett Traded To Pirates

Burnett to the Pirates for 2 minor leaguers. How do you guys think this affects the Cubs if it does at all, how does this affect the Sox if at all?

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
already in the around the mlb thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
While Roy Oswalt goes fishing for a few months, MLBTR suggests that Ryan Zimmerman will be a National for years to come.

Cloud 9

O.G.
Liked Posts:
Looking at the NL Central, we've got to be one of if not the weakest divisions in baseball. It should be Cincinnati and St. Louis at the top, followed by Milwaukee, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Houston. However, I actually do like what each team did (to a degree) in the off-season, minus the Astros of course. Can't wait for opening day!

Status
Not open for further replies.