Around The Majors: All MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of these days the Cardinals may decide to score again.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cardinals scored!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Padres lost :(

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
By the way...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MIA@PHI: Big Z flashes his bat and arm in a win - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Also that homer means Z has homered each season since he became a full time starter in 2003.

I knew he had homered but I didn't know this:

Carlos Zambrano ties Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson for seventh-most homers by a pitcher | HardballTalk

If more pitchers hit like Z there wouldn't be as much clamoring for DH in the NL. However, compared to even backups, Z hits like shit so even if more pitchers hit like Z, the DH is inevitable.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I knew he had homered but I didn't know this:

Carlos Zambrano ties Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson for seventh-most homers by a pitcher | HardballTalk

If more pitchers hit like Z there wouldn't be as much clamoring for DH in the NL. However, compared to even backups, Z hits like shit so even if more pitchers hit like Z, the DH is inevitable.

It is inevitable because of year round interleague play. And once that occurs the call to play under the same rules in each league will become a lot greater. And if one league is going to change it is the older one with more tradition.

On another subject, I still don't get the math that will require teams to only play 20 interleague games next year but there be an interleague series going on every day that all teams play.

And seriously who doubted that Zambrano would have one of his best seasons once he left the Cubs. That is just the way it goes for us.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like they'll be very creative with off-days. Also the CBA has provisions (at least I thought I remembered reading that) for scheduled doubleheaders so it's possible they just cram in a few of those.

In a 162 game season there are 54 possible 3-game series. Some of them are going to be 4-game series while others are going to be 2-game series (the preferred rival part of the CBA allows for home-and-away 2-game sets). If you assume that each division foe plays your team 18 times a season, that's 4x18 = 72 games taken care of, leaving 90. Out-of-division foes are 10x6 or 10x7, so you're left with 20 or 30 games left with which to fill with interleague. It could work, but the scheduling is going to be a bit wonky.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like they'll be very creative with off-days. Also the CBA has provisions (at least I thought I remembered reading that) for scheduled doubleheaders so it's possible they just cram in a few of those.

In a 162 game season there are 54 possible 3-game series. Some of them are going to be 4-game series while others are going to be 2-game series (the preferred rival part of the CBA allows for home-and-away 2-game sets). If you assume that each division foe plays your team 18 times a season, that's 4x18 = 72 games taken care of, leaving 90. Out-of-division foes are 10x6 or 10x7, so you're left with 20 or 30 games left with which to fill with interleague. It could work, but the scheduling is going to be a bit wonky.
I get how it can work with each team schedule. I just am not sure I see it unless teams are getting a lot more off days next season because every day all 30 teams play there will be at least one interleague series going on. I guess we will see next year.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see it working like this for one 15-team league:

Four East teams play each other

Four Central teams play each other

Four West teams play each other

East-Central pairing

West-other league pairing

The latter two pairings will rotate. This is just one possibility. It's merely a rotation of 14 teams with an interleague game thrown in. I agree that the scheduling will be wacky and it would necessitate annoying travel and off days (especially if, say, the Padres have to play in Seattle and then go to LA the next series) but I don't have a handy-dandy schedule finagler so can't tell you for sure how it'll be :D

Status
Not open for further replies.