#1 QB to Notre Dame

bbaker

Liked Posts:
Rumor has it the #1 High School QB in the country, Gunner Kiel, is enrolling at Notre Dame tomorrow.

This is his 3rd commitment since the summer. He was previously committed to Indiana & LSU.

Gunner Kiel - Yahoo! Sports

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
SERIOUSLY?? I was excited about the Notre Dame rumors the first time around but then it seemed like a sure thing he was going to LSU. Really hoping this is true.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Why did Gunner decommit from LSU??

I knew he would decommit from IU but LSU is a surprise. I would guess because of the style of the offense.

I have seen him play live a few times he is a hell of a talent.

also he isnt the best QB in the class he is the best pro style QB in the class though.

The kid going to FL State will be a much better college QB IMO

Last edited:

bbaker

Liked Posts:
My guess is because LSU has Zach Mettenberger for next season (possibly 2 if he has a slow yr next yr) & Gunner wanted to stay close to home.

He's enrolling at Notre Dame tomorrow so that he can play Spring ball & get a head up on the competition possibly.

To me, him going to LSU was a shocker. He's more of a "pro-style" QB & LSU runs a Spread offense (I'm pretty sure). Plus, who wants to be LSU's QB after the NC game? lol

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The right side of the following screen capture is why Yahoo! Sports struggles to gain any ounce of respect from reputable sports outlets.

gunner.png

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
My guess is because LSU has Zach Mettenberger for next season (possibly 2 if he has a slow yr next yr) & Gunner wanted to stay close to home.

He's enrolling at Notre Dame tomorrow so that he can play Spring ball & get a head up on the competition possibly.

To me, him going to LSU was a shocker. He's more of a "pro-style" QB & LSU runs a Spread offense (I'm pretty sure). Plus, who wants to be LSU's QB after the NC game? lol

He has a better chance at a national championship at LSU than ND but yes the offense of style was probably the reason he decommited.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kiel blows.

Golson>>>Kiel.

Hope he enjoys holding a clipboard

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

ND runs the spread.

LSU runs more pro style at times. Two back, power run stuff.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The right side of the following screen capture is why Yahoo! Sports struggles to gain any ounce of respect from reputable sports outlets.

gunner.png

Rivals is far from the only site to say that

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, it's 100% true. Kelly talked with Hendrix today regarding it.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:

gunner.png

Gunner does play a lot like PM he is one of the best prospects I have seen. What makes PM great isnt his arm it is his brain and Gunner is pretty smart at the QB position for his age and style wise he reminds you of PM.

Im no football guy im more basketball in terms of scouting and couldnt tell you how good he will be though. But he is the best HS QB I have seen in Indiana in a while.

Last edited:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gunner does play a lot like PM he is one of the best prospects I have seen. What makes PM great isnt his arm it is his brain and Gunner is pretty smart at the QB position for his age and style wise he reminds you of PM.

Im no football guy im more basketball in terms of scouting and couldnt tell you how good he will be though. But he is the best HS QB I have seen in Indiana in a while.

my point remains the same. Saying "oh, this player reminds me of PM" is just...idk...how many guys do you see playing basketball in HS and say "Wow! That guy reminds me so much of Kobe!"

none.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
my point remains the same. Saying "oh, this player reminds me of PM" is just...idk...how many guys do you see playing basketball in HS and say "Wow! That guy reminds me so much of Kobe!"

none.

it is just a player comparison style wise at least that is how I take it.

Just like Marshon Brooks was compared to Kobe in a few articles pre draft they play a similar game style wise Kobe is just a lot more skilled lol.

I compare lesser guys to better guys all the time I am just refering style wise when I do it.

for example Kendall Marshall reminds me of Mark Jackson but I doubt Kendall Marshall is 1/4 the player that Jackson was because his defense is beyond awful and he is a liability on offense outside of passing.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
When I meant Brian Kelly in high school I can understand why a kid would wanna play for him.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

no they run a pro

Reactions: X

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

none.

its a style comparison....a player can have a similar style but not be nearly as good

actually there have been quite a few elite players compared to kobe....austin rivers, harrison barnes,etc.

Montanaro

Liked Posts:
Heard the kid was a bit of a headcase.

and shocker, Notre Lame is hyping another QB through the stratosphere.

All the while WVU is getting little ole Ford Childress, the long time friend (practically clone) of Andrew Luck and will be playing in an offense that shatters bowl records.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not saying a hell of a lot. Indiana football mostly blows.

The second best player in the state is pretty damn solid but the 3rd best prospect in the state is getting offers from MAC schools, SMU, and Kansas(only because Weis is there)

its a style comparison....a player can have a similar style but not be nearly as good
Bingo.

Look at every Rivals page. Each player has a comparison to a current NFL'er or recent college player.

Heard the kid was a bit of a headcase.
Untrue. Just getting pulled in a lot of different directions. Gunner is incredibley smart. Good enough arm. Good mobility. Really intelligent. That being said I still prefer Golson and the best thing to come of this could be helping pull in other recrutis like the Armsteads, Yuri Wright, bring back Darby, etc.

and shocker, Notre Lame is hyping another QB through the stratosphere.
This is beyond stupid. Gunner has been hyped through the stratosphere since before he was even considering ND. He was originally considering Bama and Oklahoma. Sayi9ng ND is hyping him up is Special person because everyone was/is. That's why every program in the country was chasing him.

All the while WVU is getting little ole Ford Childress, the long time friend (practically clone) of Andrew Luck and will be playing in an offense that shatters bowl records.

Good for him. LOL at clone of Andrew Luck. Luck was much more highly touted than Childress is/was. Luck was a top 5 QB prospect. Childress isn't. I like Childress and think he's solid but calling him a clone of Luck is odd seeing as no one really sees him as that and the pedigree isn't the same.

Montanaro

Liked Posts:
So now we compare QB's based on their numerical rankings? If he played in a public school league he would likely be rated much higher, and thusly your argument would go right out the window. He was also recruited by OSU, Tamu, and lately by Texas (and hard considering their QB situation). Not exactly your directional michigan schools.

I've watched a couple of his games, and not only is he similar size but he has similar attributes to a young Andrew Luck. And I've actually read a tidbit from rivals where one of their guys said he was very similar to Luck (so saying "no one really sees him as a clone" is false).

and to say he doesn't have the pedigree isn't true. His father was a pro bowl Dlineman (not same as QB) but when has pedigree meant anything? Btw, he nearly broke Texas single season passing yard record fwiw.

But anyway, you are right about gunner, he was already hyped. My point was he'll likely be just another Notre Dame QB of late who gets hyped by media but never wins anything ala Quinn and Clausen. and I was reading about Gunner's headcase issue on the Indiana board...while he was committed there. Apparently very me first and he expected to start from day 1.