Starlin Castro

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Castro is hitting .400 in the minors. This team looks bored and isn't winning ball games. Might as well get the kid some time in the big leagues and get his feet wet.

Who else wants to see the kid get a shot.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
If he's ready, he's ready. Im not sure how many benchmarks are needed to know this. Is he at Triple A?

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want him rushed to the majors and turning into another Corey Patterson or Felix Pie

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Why AAA though? Everyone knows AA is the more challenging league. Every MLB team keeps it's top talent in AA. I'm just saying, Castro could turn into another Patterson or Pie, but he could also hold his own and make everyone forget about Theriot. I'm sick of hearing about him.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he's ready, he's ready. Im not sure how many benchmarks are needed to know this. Is he at Triple A?
He's in AA. The Cubs won't call up Castro unless they fall out of contention and become sellers.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
He's in AA. The Cubs won't call up Castro unless they fall out of contention and become sellers.

I would think that if they are out of contention they would be even less likely to call up Castro and start his arbitration clock. If he turns out to be as good as everyone thinks he will be, there's little sense in bringing him closer to free agency for a club that's already out of the race.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
he will play with cubs sometime this year.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Im all in favor of bringing him up.. the problem is, they bring him up then Theriot will move to Second.. BUT Theriot has no expirence what so ever. I was shocked when he didnt get any reps during Spring Training at second. Lou has to get Theriot at 2B soon enough.

We need Theriot in the lineup, and I'm all in favor of Castro called up

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theriot was a 2nd basemen at LSU and Fontenot was the SS.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theriot was a 2nd basemen at LSU and Fontenot was the SS.

That's what I thought. Plus he played a lot of 2B when the Dust-Bag was running the show, and he made the team in 2007 as the 25th man out of spring training as a 2B I believe

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Castro will be called up quick.

He's tearing it up in AA.

Fakebigben

Beer Pong Champion
Liked Posts:
Castros playing Baseball now? So many Cuban players in the MLB.
And I thought he was like 80?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro will be called up quick.

He's tearing it up in AA.
He's only 20 and he's barely played in AA. Rushing him to the majors could potenially end up being a bad idea

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
I think Castro will be up as soon as his clock is set in terms of arbitration. I think Fontenot/Baker will be traded. The one who isn't traded will platoon with Theriot with Castro taking over full time.

Just imagine if the kid sparks us like Jason Heyward or other phenoms. We could really use a homegrown stud.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who would want to trade for Fontenot or Baker? The best you'd get for either is a low-level minor leaguer who probably has no shot at ever seeing the majors.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying we'd be looking to acquire anyone important. Rather trading them to create roster space.

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
Castro will not turn into another Pie or Patterson. He might never be a superstar, but the simple fact that he's a student of the game and knows how to shorten up his swing will prevent him from busting like Pie or Patterson.