5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
2012 Confirmed Expansion:
Montreal Impact

Main candidates:
New York Cosmos
Orlando City

Other Primary Candidates for 2014 or 2015:
Minnesota (possibly named Minnesota Kicks)

Unfortunately, we are out of good-sized Cascadian markets to expand too. :( Those always turn out well attendance-wise.

I'm expecting the 20th team to start in 2014 rather than 2013 at this point.

If it is the Cosmos, I want the Red Bulls to change their name to the New Jersey Red Bulls.

If it is Orlando City, that's great to fill a hole in the southeast. Atlanta would be better but I'm not so sure that they'd embrace soccer and the team would have to move like the Thrashers.

Minnesota would be nice, a new team to hate. :yeah: If they use the Kicks name, it'd be some nice NASL nostalgia to go along with the Cascadian teams and others.

Steagles

Pacers All Day
Liked Posts:
We in Indianapolis are pushing hard for a 2014 team, possible "Racing Indy FC"

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I hadn't heard that before, would be great to have another geographic rival though! Only one other major league to compete with there too.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Indy would be sweet :yeah: but what about St. Louis? That rumor is dead now?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
St. Louis and Detroit still have supporter groups looking for a team, but St. Louis doesn't seem to be as serious anymore and Detroit is a shrinking market, so I doubt they get one.

firefan2001

Liked Posts:
Minnesota was looking into getting a team a couple of years ago. Peter Wilt was tiring to drum up so intrest for a possible expansion team. I think if Peter Wilt couldn't get anyting done then Minnesota is pretty much out, but anything can happen.

I would like if cities like Minnesota, Detroit and St. Louis got teams. I tired of all this New York Cosmos crap. I think the league is justing looking at New York and not giving other cites a fair chance.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Figure Minnesota wouldn't have a new team until Vikings owners get a new stadium built anyway.

tonyni

Liked Posts:
Detroit has made a bid to the MLS for a team that will play in the old silverdome, renovated into a dual purpose/dual level open air soccer specific stadium on top and concert hall/arena underneath.

Detroit also has a new minor league team, Detroit City FC. Should provide some insight into the viability of Detroit being able to support a soccer team. I don't think it should be too difficult, as the cultural makeup of Detroit should ensure plenty of soccer fans coming out to the games.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
^I'm not sure Detroit would be the best decision though (no offense), because the market has been shrinking at a pretty quick rate, hasn't it?

giaco

Liked Posts:
Detroit is actually due for a renaissance. In fact, I think that if the business end is handled correctly (in areas other than sport), Detroit could easily steal commerce from Chicago--MI has a lower tax and Detroit would LOVE to offer incentives for companies to move just a few hours over to the other city on a lake.

As far as MLS expansion, NY and Orlando really are in pole position, unless someone pony's up a fee to move an existing franchise (a la Chivas USA to San Diego/DCU to Baltimore, etc).

The Minnesota thing would be cool, but they need it in a central and downtown location to a city in particular. They have supporters there, but that place where the Stars play is apparently about 20-30 minutes outside of the twin cities, so hardly ideal.

The Indy thing is new to me, and I don't really see it happening before we see Saint Louis find some proper financial support--which is really their main issue. After the Hooper bubble burst and the USL side folded, they were dead in the water.

I'm still skeptical of footie in FL at he MLS level, but it could work--I think Orlando may actually be the most viable market followed by Tampa.

Atlanta had the Silverbacks for a while, and they seemed to do ok, but nothing really groundbreaking. If they were looking at another USL market to bring up, I'd be ok with Charleston (as long as there was infrastructure planning in place).