Decastro vs Floyd who do you pick?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you are Phil Emery would you draft Michael Floyd a solid player in a position of need or would you take DeCastro an elite talent in a postion of lesser need?

I know the Bears do not need interior OL help that badly, but what if we are faced with the issue of the BPA being DeCastro or Peter Konz?

Chi66

Liked Posts:
Depends on how our FA period goes and what our draft plan is. If we're looking at players like Michael Brewster and Philip Blake in the later rounds for center then I would grab Michael Floyd, but if there's another receiver they like who can be had in a later round then perhaps DeCastro is the way to go. If it's my choice I go after Floyd, we need a receiver more then an interior lineman. If we got Jackson or Bowe in FA I would be more willing to get DeCastro since our WR position is taken care of. I would still want a WR in the early rounds even with Bowe or Jackson on the team.

If it's DeCastro or Konz I'll take DeCastro all day. Both should be great lineman but DeCastro, as you said, is an elite talent. Something that you don't see every year. All three are players who the Bears could use and look like can be perennial Pro-Bowlers.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Decastro's a tough call, I always reserve judgement on taking an interior lineman that high in the draft. A tackle? All day. Although the argument can be made there are a lot of OG's that are first rounders...however most of these are failed OT's.

I still think we need to build up our interior line...just wondering if we're going to go the FA route instead of drafting.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are Phil Emery would you draft Michael Floyd a solid player in a position of need or would you take DeCastro an elite talent in a postion of lesser need?

I know the Bears do not need interior OL help that badly, but what if we are faced with the issue of the BPA being DeCastro or Peter Konz?

LOL at Floyd not being elite.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'd still take Floyd. I feel that interior line help (if scouted correctly) can come later in the draft.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Yeah, we can draft an inside lineman in the later rounds, since our need is for an LT more than our interior. We'll never be able to catch up to our division either if we don't find some play-makers for our offense. This is going to be difficult as well since whatever receiver we do end up with will require decent route-running skills, good hands, and speed like I've mentioned before. I'd say use the first 2 picks for offense, then since we have an extra 3rd we can use the later rounds to build some defensive depth/groom starters.

So yeah, take Floyd or anyone like him. Our defense can (mostly) wait a few years, though we'll definitely need a CB and SS soon if Jennings/Wright don't step up.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'd steer clear of any WR with "potential", since Drake has turned these later round guys into perrenial pro-bowlers (well if you're a kick returner).

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I'd still take Floyd. I feel that interior line help (if scouted correctly) can come later in the draft.

same can be said about WR many great wr's can be found in the later rds. With Floyd I hope they check him out thoroughly back round his baggage is pretty severe.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I always believe best player available whoever the Bears have the highest grade on who is still left on the board they should take.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
same can be said about WR many great wr's can be found in the later rds. With Floyd I hope they check him out thoroughly back round his baggage is pretty severe.

Same can be said about Randy Moss.

Not often do you see an interior lineman projected as a 1st rounder though.

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Floyd and it's not even close. It's much easier to come across good-great guards than it is to come across good-great WRs. But that is just my take. Just go Floyd and Osmele (sp?) with first 2 picks and you cover all of your bases.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears should go DeCastro...

Then offer their second AND the Carolina third to trade back up into the late first and grab Alshon Jeffery. He's projected to go 22-32 range and could be the guy Cutler needs next year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Floyd and it's not even close. It's much easier to come across good-great guards than it is to come across good-great WRs. But that is just my take. Just go Floyd and Osmele (sp?) with first 2 picks and you cover all of your bases.

It is the difference between GOOD and Elite.

If Floyd is going to be good and DeCastro is going to be a multiple time Pro Bowler then you take DeCastro.

My real fear is that Floyd will be gone and we will be choosing between guys like Alshon Jeffery [huge need] and David DeCastro [Elite Prospect].

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Osemele is not getting mentioned in the same sentence as DeCastro.

Great Guard is better to have than Good WR.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do want Floyd in the first round and a OL in the 2nd, but if we do go with an OL in the 1st, then picking Quick from App St in the 2nd or 3rd would be my #2 dream scenario. I think he's going to be really good. JMO.

Last edited:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
He is absolutely not an elite WR prospect.

Blackmon, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz were elite WR prospects and Floyd is ranked in the 15-25 range in this draft.

Really good prospect, but not elite as a prospect.

we'll have to wait until the combine

Chi66

Liked Posts:
If it's Alshon Jeffery or DeCastro give me DeCastro anyday of the week, I'm not that confident in Jeffery compared to Floyd. Honestly I think I'd rather have Mohamed Sanu then Jeffery.

I'd like to see what Tice thinks about Brandon Washington. Played tackle in college and is projected by some to be a Pro-Bowl caliber guard on the next side.

Floyd/Sanu
Washington

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Our biggest needs to be addressed in the first two rounds (to me, wide receiver and cornerback). With having two picks so close in the third round, it'd definitely be more appropriate to make riskier picks then, although with our team having so many needs, it wouldn't make sense to do something crazy if you're able to fill a need. Personally, I'd rather see us add value in the third round (it might be a great time to add depth on the offensive and defensive lines).