What the Chicago Cubs Should Do

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overview

Despite a poor start and a 24-29 record, the Cubs only sit 7 games behind division leaders St. Louis and 5.5 games behind second place Cincinnati. They remain within striking distance if they can put together a strong stretch, but given the amount of talent on the two teams ahead of them, their playoff odds are long, likely around or below 10%. This has to be a disappointing, albeit salvageable, season to date for a team with a $144 million opening day payroll, especially given that $103 million of that payroll will be around for the 2011 season.

Buy Or Sell

The answer right now is likely “hold” – if both St. Louis (7-9) and Cincinnati (6-11) continue playing as poorly as they have in June, selling would be premature. However, the Cubs are too far out of the race to buy at this point, at seven games behind and playing just as poorly as the Cardinals this month. Given that I find the “buy” scenario to be a low probability affair, I will take a look at who the Cubs could be selling soon.

There are two obvious selling chips for the Cubs: Derrek Lee and Ted Lilly, both of whom have $13 million contracts expiring at the end of the season. Lilly would be a perfect “sell high” candidate. His 4.75 xFIP and 4.47 FIP are masked by a shiny 3.42 ERA and .234 BABIP. Lilly’s strikeouts are down and walks are up, which is unsurprising out of a 34 year old starter. Given that the Cubs could easily slide Tom Gorzelanny (2.80 FIP, 3.59 xFIP as a stater) into Lilly’s spot, the Cubs should move Lilly now if they can.

The situation with Lee isn’t quite as simple. He’s been hitting poorly this season, only posting a .327 wOBA, but much of that is based on a .268 BABIP. At 35, there’s no guarantee that this is all luck, and so there will almost certainly be some trepidation among teams looking for help at 1B. It’s likely that he’s still a good fielder, as his +4 UZR to date agrees with his +9.4 combined score from the last two seasons, so there is still some value here. Also, the potential replacements in Xavier Nady, Chad Tracy, and Micah Hoffpauir aren’t exactly desirable for even half of a down season, if it comes to that. Right now, the Cubs should hold their cards and hope that Lee can build up some value before the deadline.

Ryan Theriot‘s name has been bandied about in trade rumors recently as well. Theriot is a 30 year old but still has two years of arbitration left. However, his productivity has sharply dove since a solid 2008 season, to the point where his walk rate of 4.9% is less than half that of his 3.2 WAR 2008. His ground balls are way up (56.1% this season), leading to far less power – his ISO of .030 is down 55 points from last season. ZiPS suggests a partial turnaround is possible. Theriot’s value is low right now, but if a desperate team for middle infield help comes calling, the Cubs should deal, as given Theriot’s age, there’s no guarantee that he returns to the form that compiled 5.6 WAR in 2008 and 2009.

On The Farm

The Cubs farm system has vastly improved in recent years, as shown by the graduations of Tyler Colvin, Andrew Cashner and Starlin Castro this season. Hak-Ju Lee also shows great promise at SS, and should form the middle infield of the future with Castro. Josh Vitters is a 20 year old 3B with talent to burn despite struggling at AA so far this season. Overall, Beyond the Boxscore’s composite farm system rankings has the Cubs 10th, with six top-100 prospects.

Budget

If the Cubs do end up buying, they likely won’t be able to add much in the way of salary, particularly in long term deals. The $144 million opening day number was the highest in team history, and the team has two very expensive and likely untradeable contracts on hand until 2012 and 2014 respectively in the forms of Carlos Zambrano and Alfonso Soriano. On the other hand, selling on Lee and Lilly could give some short term salary relief which could allow the team to be more aggressive next winter.
What the Chicago Cubs Should Do | FanGraphs Baseball
:clap:
Good article IMO

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think regardless of cincy and stl, the cubs should be sellers. get rid of lee for sure. as much as i love lilly, he's not getting any younger and we should be able to get something for him. see if someone want's kosuke's contract and as soon as we can, get rid of big z. i'd resign fonzie, but not for more than two or three years. i honestly don't think that this team is playoff contendable anytime in the near future.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ yeah, i know that. i guess my point, as unclear as it was, is once that day comes we'd limit his (and all contracts for that matter), to three years, assuming we decide to resign him.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ yeah, i know that. i guess my point, as unclear as it was, is once that day comes we'd limit his (and all contracts for that matter), to three years, assuming we decide to resign him.
By the time his contract expires he'll be absolutely useless on defense. He'll be even worse than he is now. Think Aaron Miles and Neifi Perez bad

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
By the time his contract expires he'll be absolutely useless on defense. He'll be even worse than he is now. Think Aaron Miles and Neifi Perez bad

haha, i neglected to think about this. and thinking about fonzie being as bad as neifi perez is absolutely horrifying.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keep D. Lee, Pinella. Although I'll get some fire for this one, it's what I believe. Ryne isn't a proven winner like Pinella, and Lee was consistent along with Rami but is still an amazing defender.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
haha, i neglected to think about this. and thinking about fonzie being as bad as neifi perez is absolutely horrifying.
It'll likely be the case though, unfortunately. Bringing up Neifi Perez is almost as bad as bringing up Steve Bartman IMO :cookiemonster:

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keep D. Lee, Pinella. Although I'll get some fire for this one, it's what I believe. Ryne isn't a proven winner like Pinella, and Lee was consistent along with Rami but is still an amazing defender.

no. no. yes.

lou and lee both need to go. lou has lost his fire and he knows he is off at come october. lee is past his prime and a .230 batting average isn't worth the gold glove, in my opinion. i'll be sad to see him go, but he's not getting any younger and if he's optioned off now, we should be able to get something favorable.

i completely agree that ryne isn't ready to manage at a major league level. it's doing so-so in triple a, i'd give him a few more seasons in a lower ball club before coming up to manage the cubs. i think brenly would manage the hell out of the cubs, but i think he likes broadcasting too much to give it up.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
continue to get the young guys experience

try to get rid of one of the veterans

probably d lee

keep fonzie for 2 or 3 more years

trade or release one of the pitchers in the rotation

and hope for the best i guess

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro is losing confidence. Because of Pinella.

But the Cubs need to fire everbody besides Quade, Trammell and Maddux and maybe the bullpen coach and 1B coach.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pinella may definitely have to be fired