World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess whenever he can bother with signing the paperwork for residency :lol:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have read where if he in this draft he be 5-8 range. So it be like Cubs buying an extra draft slot

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is great news. I was starting to get worried after he wasnt quite a free agent.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is great news. I was starting to get worried after he wasnt quite a free agent.

Figured he would be fore the July 2nd deadline. Now he just has to get deal doen by then. So still prolly 3 weeks before he signs. Will try to get most money over the next 3 weeks knowing he last IFA that can sign for whatever

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which is why i like the cubs odds of landing him

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only part I hate about this is that you're basically signing a high draft pick for free agent money. But if there's so many people risking it there's probably a good reason, and since it's not my money... :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Essentially this is where the payroll went this offseason. We will find out a few years down the road if Theo made the right call on that. Again assuming we do land Soler.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since the spending deadline is July 2...teams could potentially decide to lowball him until he gets desperate and just accepts the last offer he gets that's higher than the $2.9MM international cap (or whatever it was) under the new CBA. Why spend $30MM when you can give him $10MM? :D

I doubt it'll come to that, but it's fun to think about when you talk about a true prospect who has never done anything on a professional level getting more in bonus than Strasburg and Harper combined.

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
The "Twitter-verse" has a lot of love for the cubs landing Soler. I hope they do land him as he would be projected to be a top 10 pick in this years draft. So coupling that with the #6 pick in the draft tonight, probably that pick being Alberto Almora from most reports.

That would be an outstanding 2 guys to add to the farm. Hope they do the right thing, though I would love for Gausman to fall. This could be a helluva way to put some great pieces into an already rising farm system after last years draft.

Heres to hoping for the best.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I guess the question is...

Who actually has tape of Soler's skills? What exactly do the scouts say? All I see is "projected to be a top ten prospect" but at this point it's all hearsay. At least Cespedes had a contrived video. What do we have to go on with Soler except faith?

Keep in mind that I'm not as smart as the Cubs' front office so if they decide to throw an armored truck full of $$ at Soler, so be it. I'm just curious as to what he has shown he could do in Cuba that would lead to such healthy projections.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Status
Not open for further replies.