Official Jorge Soler Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah that is mostly why I want the Cubs to do this. It is the last chance to go out and get a guy like this without this costing a penalty. The additions of Rizzo, Almora and possibly Soler adds a lot of high end talent in the system in less than a calendar year. This would be another nice step into another Hoyer like transformation of a farm system.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think what I'm saying is that I don't completely trust the ability of Soler to translate his skills to MLB from Cuban League, and I won't be completely disappointed if the Cubs get outbid. I also won't be pissed off if they end up getting Soler.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that it certainly is a risk, and it is a ton of cash. However, there is a pretty good track record of Cuban players being able to make it in the majors. Combine that with the universal lauding of his talents by scouts and I think it is a pretty safe bet to make it over here. Certainly not without risks and it will be an expensive one, but the Cubs essentially would be getting another top 10 draft pick talent this year if they did land him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
To wit, it won't be a sign of the Apocalypse if the Cubs don't sign Jorge Soler :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes life would go on, but it would be a disappointment.

I'm probably in the minority that will be ambivalent about it.

The alternative to putting that $25MM or whatever into Soler is spending it on something else. Like Cole Hamels. Or whoever else is available in free agency come 2014.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The buzz I've seen is "ZOMFG the Cubs HAVE TO SIGN Soler!" but the reality is that they don't. It'd be really nice if they did, but Jorge Soler is not going to make or break the Chicago Cubs. He's a well-regarded prospect, but just because you're not spending a boatload of money on him doesn't mean that boatload of money can't be used efficiently elsewhere to also improve the franchise.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm probably in the minority that will be ambivalent about it.

The alternative to putting that $25MM or whatever into Soler is spending it on something else. Like Cole Hamels. Or whoever else is available in free agency come 2014.

Unfortunately I am not certain that no Soler means more money to spend on premier free agents. I think it would go to other organizational needs like continuing to upgrade facilities and technology.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jed and other Cubs brass were there. If they buy into the hype, I am more than happy to blow 30 million on the dude.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jed and other Cubs brass were there. If they buy into the hype, I am more than happy to blow 30 million on the dude.

You have $30MM? Dude, gimme some $ so I can pay some bills.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to be an upset if Soler not a Cub

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs don't get him it means he wanted $35MM or more and that's just insane money for a guy who basically has proven nothing. There's a difference between paying that much money for a major league ready guy in Cespedes and paying almost the same amount for a prospect, even with the international spending restrictions coming up. If the Cubs can get him for $30MM or less I'm cool with it. If it gets too high then the risk is magnified and the front office looks even more stupid when the move doesn't work out.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course, it's not my money so if they intend to blow it on Soler they probably have a really good reason (he's that good, they need the tax break, etc). It'd be nice to have more impact prospects than not.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course, it's not my money so if they intend to blow it on Soler they probably have a really good reason (he's that good, they need the tax break, etc). It'd be nice to have more impact prospects than not.

This is why I want Soler so bad. The guy would add another legitimate blue chip prospect to the system. The farm system needs more of these types of prospects. Of course I don't want the Cubs to waste their money in this situation, but I trust the guys making the call to weigh the risks appropriately.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
This is why I want Soler so bad. The guy would add another legitimate blue chip prospect to the system. The farm system needs more of these types of prospects. Of course I don't want the Cubs to waste their money in this situation, but I trust the guys making the call to weigh the risks appropriately.

I forget the guy who said it but one insider said he would be a top 10 spect in all of baseball as soon as he signs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What was the Tank when he got signed? I remember his contract was 4/$10 million

Status
Not open for further replies.