Official Jorge Soler Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think he is a guarantee to be an impact player, but I see this as the last opportunity to be able to just spend money and essentially net two top 10 draft picks in the same year. That is why I would be crushed. As we've talked about many times, it is a number games with prospects. And the Cubs right now have so few legitimate blue chip prospects that they need to get as many as they can as quick as they can.

With that many teams involved and with that pricetag you would like to think that Soler is a legitimate prospect. The money is what scares me that most. He's getting paid more than Strasburg and Harper combined. That's sick.

Or at least he's going to make around what both guys made, as Strasburg and Harper signed MLB-type contracts for about $36MM combined over 4-7 years methinks.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
With that many teams involved and with that pricetag you would like to think that Soler is a legitimate prospect. The money is what scares me that most. He's getting paid more than Strasburg and Harper combined. That's sick.

Ya, and Ricketts is too cheap to compete with the Yankees #rickettscheap :smug2:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes but you have to divorce yourself from that fact because that is a completely different situation. In the next five years you can't just spend to build a farm system. That is why his pricetag is being driven artificially high and probably beyond what he is worth. The Cubs as I've contended have budgeted to blow their load on Soler this year. I guess we will see if the Cubs land him and if they are right in a few years.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they have the money, but I think the better question is whether or not you should actually spend it. I'm cool with the original amount of $27MM rumored, but I think that is still an overpay. I'd be happier if they spent less than $25MM.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goldstein confirmed that a four year deal would be like a Samardzija deal and not a Cespedes deal.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone have video of Jorge Soler in international competition?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goldstein confirmed that a four year deal would be like a Samardzija deal and not a Cespedes deal.

Well, at least that means they can continue to control him under arbitration.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, I remember that. I wanted to see footage of him destroying a baseball or gunning down a guy trying to stretch a double into a triple, but whatever :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah he doesnt exactly have the same pr machine that cespedes did.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

fwiw (and there's no guarantee it's a lot), some competing execs still see ‪#cubs‬ as favorite for Soler. many interested

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rumor has it (in a non-Adele voice) that #Cubs won out for Soler. Waiting to rush to judgement until more reports surface - BB

Status
Not open for further replies.