A real "out of nowhere" deal

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lunch time update: Yoenis Cespedes signs with Oakland

Yoenis Cespedes signs with the Oakland Athletics | HardballTalk

Definitely unexpected, but Oakland might have a chance to move to San Jose and into a new stadium at some point so they might come into money. Plus it's not like they spent a lot of money this offseason either.

Cue the rumors for the Cubs trying hard to land Soler.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, totally didn't see that one coming. He's a gamble, like Ozzie said, but maybe Beane can make it worthwhile. He is Mr. Moneyball.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
No team really wanted him too much ... his agent approach the A's about interest and then a deal came down. (twitter-somewhere)

I'm glad the Cubs did not spend 9 million for Cespedes and Daddies3Angels, Team Theo really did now want Cespedes. They lost a lot of interest and would have been a waste of money, even if he puts up nice stats.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
No team really wanted him too much ... his agent approach the A's about interest and then a deal came down. (twitter-somewhere)

I'm glad the Cubs did not spend 9 million for Cespedes and Daddies3Angels, Team Theo really did now want Cespedes. They lost a lot of interest and would have been a waste of money, even if he puts up nice stats.

When did you talk to him? How do you know if they lost intrest. Honestly what i think happen was OAK offered the 4 yr deal and waived the 2 ARB years which Cepedes loved cause he hit FA when he 32. He can sign another big deal. Where Cubs wouldnt waive the 2 yrs of ARB. I still can have fun though and put #rickettscheap

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reports have surfaced that they did. His agent Katz even said the market was quiet and that's why he approach teams for a deal.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marlins In Lead For Cespedes, Cubs Focused On Soler: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The Marlins are exchanging contract figures with 26-year-old Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, and two National League sources tell MLB.com's Joe Frisaro that the Cubs are no longer seriously in the mix. Chicago has apparently shifted its focus to 19-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, though he is not yet eligible for free agency.

Upon his recent visit to Miami, the Marlins made Cespedes an offer that was initially reported to exceed $40MM. That number has since been denied, and Frisaro confirms that the offer was under $40MM, saying the Fish are comfortable with a number in the $30-35MM range.

The Cubs, meanwhile, are willing to spend as much as $27.5MM to land Soler, though Frisaro's sources are unclear on the number of years they'd offer. New Cubs president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer have already made one significant international splash this offseason, signing 18-year-old Cuban Gerardo Concepcion to a $7MM contract with another million dollars of incentives.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Can we please stop using theoisms? I think theoisms should be ban worthy.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let them eat cake.

A cookie is just a cookie, but...

fignewtons.jpg

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Can we please stop using theoisms? I think theoisms should be ban worthy.
They are if you want them to be.

:kick:

In CO's case :pray:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
just like always money trumps all. That is a huge investment for a unproven player glad we didnt make it. I really dont know what Beane is thinking maybe they are moving and that is where the money is coming from. I figured they were in on Soler not Cespedes kind of shocking they have the money.