Spring Training 2012 IGT And Random Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do realize that every player was once a prospect, right?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters looks tiny.

Looking at the picture I guess it isn't surprising that the power has yet to develop. I am actually a little bit more encouraged on Vitters than I was earlier since I've seen some scouts claiming his defense at third has been improving. If he does fill out some and can play third he might actually be a useful starter yet.

Cloud 9

O.G.
Liked Posts:
I'm just surprised at the lack of muscle on him. He should've been hammering the weights especially since he came straight out of high school.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Everyone on the Cubs sucks and is serviceable at best.

:rolleyes:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone on the Cubs sucks and is serviceable at best.

:rolleyes:

You probably don't have to put that in sarcasm font as it's probably true :lol:

Jim Abbott

They drafted him in the 8th round and decided to just let him duke it out in the MLB rotation, but that's few and far between. The only others I can think of off the top of my head are Xavier Nady and Mike Leake who skipped the minors completely. Even Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols started a few games in the minors before they said "Yep, they're the real deal"...and even if you do have a guy who skips the minors completely, at some point you had to trust a scout who gave them a vote of confidence. So yes, every player at some point or another was a prospect.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They drafted him in the 8th round and decided to just let him duke it out in the MLB rotation, but that's few and far between. The only others I can think of off the top of my head are Xavier Nady and Mike Leake who skipped the minors completely. Even Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols started a few games in the minors before they said "Yep, they're the real deal"...and even if you do have a guy who skips the minors completely, at some point you had to trust a scout who gave them a vote of confidence. So yes, every player at some point or another was a prospect.

Then I would say the term has zero meaning

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs look serious about improving defense - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

Even if the offense blows, hope at least the pitching is okay and the defense backs them up. The Cubs also working on baserunning fundamentals. Even if the team loses a bunch of games, it hopefully won't be because of lack of fundamentals but more because the other teams are better :lol:

Castro will still throw some wide..

but if he gets 200 hits again.. He can keep learning the D on the fly

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Even if the offense blows, hope at least the pitching is okay and the defense backs them up. The Cubs also working on baserunning fundamentals. Even if the team loses a bunch of games, it hopefully won't be because of lack of fundamentals but more because the other teams are better :lol:

I really hope this team plays with better fundamentals so we can finally put to rest this idea that the reason the Cubs have been bad the past 5, 10 or however many years is that they played the game the wrong way.

Cloud 9

O.G.
Liked Posts:

I can't complain. Like I said yesterday, the offense is going to be abysmal, we're just going to have to find our own ways to win. Smart baseball + quality pitching and defense have always been my preference in style of play, but I was a pitcher so that's probably why haha.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't complain. Like I said yesterday, the offense is going to be abysmal, we're just going to have to find our own ways to win. Smart baseball + quality pitching and defense have always been my preference in style of play, but I was a pitcher so that's probably why haha.

I feel relatively confident that in this offensive environment even a team as offensively inept as the Cubs can score 3-4 runs a game, so the question is whether they can play well enough to allow no more than 4 runs a game from their opponent.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Amq-k8XCQAAGq7N.jpg

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They drafted him in the 8th round and decided to just let him duke it out in the MLB rotation, but that's few and far between. The only others I can think of off the top of my head are Xavier Nady and Mike Leake who skipped the minors completely. Even Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols started a few games in the minors before they said "Yep, they're the real deal"...and even if you do have a guy who skips the minors completely, .

Bons and Pujols each played over 100 games in the minors FYI.

:date:

Status
Not open for further replies.