Forte NOT signing Franchise Tag...

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora

Bears looking at RB Michael Bush; Matt Forte could be headin for a holdout, not gonna sign franchise tag soon. Makes sense

Last edited:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
who can blame him? the man wants job security long term.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you guys think this is just a negotiating ploy to get a better deal from the Bears? The Franchise tag is $7,742,000. If he sits out this year, that's a lot of money to make up on his next contract in addition to what he would have gotten anyway.

Forte deserves more and I hope the Bears give it to him, but I can't imagine missing an entire season would be in Matt's financial interest.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He'll either sign a new contract or the tag. I'm not worried about it.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I thought I read a report somewhere that he was close to signing a deal...I guess that report was wrong.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Do you guys think this is just a negotiating ploy to get a better deal from the Bears? The Franchise tag is $7,742,000. If he sits out this year, that's a lot of money to make up on his next contract in addition to what he would have gotten anyway.

Forte deserves more and I hope the Bears give it to him, but I can't imagine missing an entire season would be in Matt's financial interest.

Exactly. If he misses a season, or doesn't come into this season ready to play football, he'll do nothing but decrease his value and make it look like he's a headcase(when he really isn't.)

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Looks like that is why Michael Bush was brought in. I honestly can say I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears didn't let Bush leave the city w/o signing on the dotted line, along with not being at all surprised if Forte wasn't in a Bears uniform next year.

Thats just my take. Not saying that would be a good thing or a bad thing, but at least their doing their due diligence and bringing in a real Starting Caliber back (bush) as a possibility.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Oh for god's sakes...this has to be a rumor.

Most likely started by his agent.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Running backs in the NFL today are a extra commodity.

I see Matts point, but I also see the Bears point. Soooo......

Matt I love you, youre a decent enough player, and half the offense. But you can GTFO. Love ya bruh, but Ill take Bush and half that money and use it elsewhere.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
Running backs in the NFL today are a extra commodity.

I see Matts point, but I also see the Bears point. Soooo......

Matt I love you, youre a decent enough player, and half the offense. But you can GTFO. Love ya bruh, but Ill take Bush and half that money and use it elsewhere.

Wow someone who actually agrees with how I view Running Backs lol.

But to add to what you said, Forte is a much better runner is a zone blocking system. The bears run a power man blocking system which is made for guys who are north and south runners, and aren't as reliant on vision.

So Bush fits the offensive system much better, because he is a north south runner and Forte is a cutback and vision runner. Not saying Bush is better, but fits the system better.

B18

Fresh Legs
Liked Posts:
Seriously the guy was about 70% of our offense and they won't sign him. If yet let him walk no free agent can make up for it.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Adding Bush and somebody in the draft could supplement Forte if he decides to hold out. I love you, Forte -- but you signed the contract, honor it. Ultimately, they'll figure it out.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
Seriously the guy was about 70% of our offense and they won't sign him. If yet let him walk no free agent can make up for it.

see that is where you are wrong, running backs are the most easily replaced position on the field.

Reactions: 1ke

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
see that is where you are wrong, running backs are the most easily replaced position on the field.

Precisely. I think people forget Matt was a 2nd round pick himself. DeMarco Murray wasnt a high pick, he cost peanuts and will feature in Dallas.

How would people feel if that Forte money got used on Eric Winston. Or Gallery to compete at guard? Its a business now more so than ever, and about money now. RBs are just too easy to replace.

I agree with you about Matt too. I think him being so successful is a testament to how good he is. But, the problem for him is NY, GB, Pitt, NO, Indy, all won superbowls with very mediocre RBs.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
Not easy to find a rb with his receiving skills.

No one said it was but did you realize 1 potential free agent targets in Bush and tolbert caught 37 for 418 (Bush) and 54 for 433 (Tolbert). Running Backs got hands. And both of the aformentioned guys can catch and run with brute power and fit the offensive line scheme much better than Forte does, though not better overall.

Also have you forgotten that Marshall is now here, forte's reception would probably go down signifcantly with him and more receiver being added besides Marshall.

Long story short, Forte IS NOT worth the money he is asking for.