All Wrigley Field renovation thread

Wrigley Field: Fix Up Or Build New?

• Total voters

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I like being owned by an actual person who actually cares. Every year your gonna see an improved wrigley field. Ricketts is the man.

Wrigley was improved with the corporation too. Based on age any owner would have to make improvements

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate it, Maybe I am being old fashioned but that is fucking stupid. I know wrigley is out of date compared to the newer ballparks....But guess what that is what makes it great. The batters lounge was ok, the under armor on the doors sucks, the toyota sign is god awful, and now this. I understand its going to bring in sponsor money, but the cubs right now are not spending that extra money. The more and more they change Wrigley the more they make it another "cookie cutter" ballpark like the rest of the league. If they are just going to sellout and sponsor up the whole place then just rip it down and put in a modern ballpark. I love Wrigley the way it is... sure it may need the occasional "touch up" to make things safe for fans. When you start changin the makeup and look of the ballpark it loses its ambiance.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate it, Maybe I am being old fashioned but that is fucking stupid. I know wrigley is out of date compared to the newer ballparks....But guess what that is what makes it great. The batters lounge was ok, the under armor on the doors sucks, the toyota sign is god awful, and now this. I understand its going to bring in sponsor money, but the cubs right now are not spending that extra money. The more and more they change Wrigley the more they make it another "cookie cutter" ballpark like the rest of the league. If they are just going to sellout and sponsor up the whole place then just rip it down and put in a modern ballpark. I love Wrigley the way it is... sure it may need the occasional "touch up" to make things safe for fans. When you start changin the makeup and look of the ballpark it loses its ambiance.

Wrigley is far from a cookie cutter with this change, and the idea that Wrigley Field is going to remain the same as what we remembered growing up is silly. Wrigley has been changed over and over as time has gone on, and it is going to have to keep changing in order to remain a viable venue for a major league baseball team.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrigley is far from a cookie cutter with this change, and the idea that Wrigley Field is going to remain the same as what we remembered growing up is silly. Wrigley has been changed over and over as time has gone on, and it is going to have to keep changing in order to remain a viable venue for a major league baseball team.

I know this is not a drastic change, but it is another one in a long line of them. Like i said some are required to keep the stadium safe, but the really cool thing about Wrigley is when you go there its like stepping back in time. The no megatron, or any other gimmick in the outfield like other ballparks. Its bleachers, beer, and baseball... simplicity the thing that again makes Wrigley awesome, no hot tub, elaborate fountains, museum, quirky rocks, or huge hd screen.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Still no hd screen. The new board can't do replays. I know small consolation.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
Still no hd screen. The new board can't do replays. I know small consolation.

So basically they are throwing another one of those stupid long screen that keeps the score and smear budwiser, and discount tire logos whenever they get the chance. They already have three of these damn things, one under the scoreboard, and two on the balcony one on each side of the balcony. No reason to put this one in, everyone in the place can already see one of the three.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So basically they are throwing another one of those stupid long screen that keeps the score and smear budwiser, and discount tire logos whenever they get the chance. They already have three of these damn things, one under the scoreboard, and two on the balcony one on each side of the balcony. No reason to put this one in, everyone in the place can already see one of the three.

The screen is one component of the change. The other change is to create seating behind the screen which could be sold at a premium price. The reason both of these things are being added to Wrigley is because it is a small ballpark (which is a good thing) and has limited revenue opportunities. I agree that Wrigley is a beautiful place, but it is something that has evolved and changed over time. The same arguments about this were said about each of the changes that has been made to the ballpark over the past thirty plus years, and Wrigley is still a beautiful place to watch a game.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
The screen is one component of the change. The other change is to create seating behind the screen which could be sold at a premium price. The reason both of these things are being added to Wrigley is because it is a small ballpark (which is a good thing) and has limited revenue opportunities. I agree that Wrigley is a beautiful place, but it is something that has evolved and changed over time. The same arguments about this were said about each of the changes that has been made to the ballpark over the past thirty plus years, and Wrigley is still a beautiful place to watch a game.

Great points and I agree on that side with you....But i don't see how selling 150 seats at premium price is better then selling 1000 at a still pricy amount is better. I don't know how much they will charge but its going to be an obscene amount to make up that ground. I don't know about you but i have sat in a "party deck" before its def not worth paying 200+. And how is it suppose to give a "rooftop feel" when you are not on a rooftop? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't answer those questions, but then again I don't see why I have to pay so much to sit in the bleachers. I prefer a seat with a back and that is closer to the action :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great points and I agree on that side with you....But i don't see how selling 150 seats at premium price is better then selling 1000 at a still pricy amount is better. I don't know how much they will charge but its going to be an obscene amount to make up that ground. I don't know about you but i have sat in a "party deck" before its def not worth paying 200+. And how is it suppose to give a "rooftop feel" when you are not on a rooftop? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I am assuming that Ricketts and his business team has figured the math on this more than once, and they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't increase the revenue of the organization.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't answer those questions, but then again I don't see why I have to pay so much to sit in the bleachers. I prefer a seat with a back and that is closer to the action :lol:

I actually have never sat in the bleachers. I never understood the appeal of watching the game from that vantage point.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
I am assuming that Ricketts and his business team has figured the math on this more than once, and they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't increase the revenue of the organization.

I am sure you are right, i am curious now to how much they will charge. We will see in time. I am sure the first year or two they will have no problem selling those tickets. But in time the "exclusiveness and excitement" will wear off. I hope i am wrong but this one will prolly blow up in their faces like most things cubs do. Shit the excitement might wear off mid season when the cubs are 41-67 and they all might have a problem when no one will pay more then 40 bucks to sit there. I'm sorry Ill let it go nothing i can do will change things just a bummer to see.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually have never sat in the bleachers. I never understood the appeal of watching the game from that vantage point.

One appeal to them when its like 65-70 the bleachers are nice and warm, where the seats in the shade can feel like 30-40 degree weather its kinda crazy how different the two are. The other thing to catch home run balls. And in Wrigley its a party out there, not the best place for kids to watch the game. Which is another reason the party deck is a head scratcher its already a "party" in the outfield why do you now need a party deck?

Lex L.

Liked Posts:

This is the thing dabynsky fails to repeatedly address. He continues to tapdance around this. The truth is, no one can explain this away. Ricketts is doing everything to cut expenses and increase revenue. Premium seating? For what? To see the Iowa Cubs? Fuck off.

Last year, a story leaked about Ricketts telling his father that the Cubs are a good investment because their fans are a bunch of suckers. Ricketts hasn't done a thing to contradict this. He's been nothing but cheap.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
and Wrigley is still a beautiful place to watch a game.

no. The field is beautiful and great. The park is a dump and horrible to watch a game. Tiny seats. Seats not facing the field. Seats obstructed. Park smelling like pee. Etc etc.

It needs to be leveled and a new park installed. I'd keep the dimensions and look if the field as much as possible

IlliniLou

Liked Posts:
he's been cheap? he just ate the entire contract of Zambrano and is looking to do the same with Soriano. also, do you know how much construction will cost to do this thing? it'll be damn expensive

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
he's been cheap? he just ate the entire contract of Zambrano and is looking to do the same with Soriano. also, do you know how much construction will cost to do this thing? it'll be damn expensive

Theyre sunk costs. Stupid comment.

IlliniLou

Liked Posts:
no. The field is beautiful and great. The park is a dump and horrible to watch a game. Tiny seats. Seats not facing the field. Seats obstructed. Park smelling like pee. Etc etc.

It needs to be leveled and a new park installed. I'd keep the dimensions and look if the field as much as possible

i sort of agree with this. if they kept the field and ivy brick walls, and the scoreboard, they can do anything else. the part that they're changing in RF is already a family area or whatever that nobody really sits in except when its packed.

obstructed views are horrible, not being able to follow a fly ball if you're sitting in the back rows is also horrible. if you want to watch everything that is happening on the field, you need premium seats or be in the bleachers. i doubt they can fix these things based on the infrastructure of the ballpark, so whatever they do make the ballpark on a whole better, is fine by me

MarkyMarkShow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it will be cool, but it will take some getting used to for sure! I rather they didn't do it but whatever. Over time, I'll come to like it.

Toyota sign however, still hate it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it will be cool, but it will take some getting used to for sure! I rather they didn't do it but whatever. Over time, I'll come to like it.

Toyota sign however, still hate it.

I agree. If anything, that's where the Jumbotron should've gone.