Cubs Rotation 60% set

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sveum said why in the article. I don't think it really matters. The Nationals are the better team and whoever's on the mound against Strasburg will need a lot of things going their way anyway to beat the Nats. What's more annoying and confusing is that Maholm is #5. I guess they want to limit his innings though since he's coming back from injury, so you do that by making him #5.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Sveum said why in the article. I don't think it really matters. The Nationals are the better team and whoever's on the mound against Strasburg will need a lot of things going their way anyway to beat the Nats. What's more annoying and confusing is that Maholm is #5. I guess they want to limit his innings though since he's coming back from injury, so you do that by making him #5.

Gotta love this quote

Ryan Dempster, obviously had a little hiccup last year but his hiccup was mainly the first four weeks of the season

:lol:

Garza>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dempster.

I would think the opening day starter is the "ace" of the rotation. Garza is more of an "ace" than Dempster is.

I don't get why the Cubs wouldn't want to put their best pitcher on for opening day. Regardless of how bad they may be, I still want to see the best 9 play on opening day.

bbaker

Liked Posts:
Maybe Cubs are just forfeiting Opening Day & saving Garza to smack the shit out of Wash the next game?

Whyyyyyyyyyyy Dempster

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Shark at #3

I wouldn't be surprised, at least to open the season. If he fucks up at any point they'll probably pluck him out and put somebody else in that spot instead of having to reshuffle the rotation. I guess after Dempster and Garza it really doesn't matter anyway :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised, at least to open the season. If he fucks up at any point they'll probably pluck him out and put somebody else in that spot instead of having to reshuffle the rotation. I guess after Dempster and Garza it really doesn't matter anyway :lol:

If Malholm is indeed fifth I think we can already pencil in Samardzjia at 3. The only question that remains is who gets the "fourth" rotation spot between Volstad and Wells. I've been saying for a while that Volstad likely has the inside track since as far as I have been able to find out Wells could be sent down (though he makes a lot for that).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Malholm is indeed fifth I think we can already pencil in Samardzjia at 3. The only question that remains is who gets the "fourth" rotation spot between Volstad and Wells. I've been saying for a while that Volstad likely has the inside track since as far as I have been able to find out Wells could be sent down (though he makes a lot for that).

Trade candidate, possibly.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade candidate, possibly.

Possibly, but Theo and Jed have made a big deal about having pitcher depth. If the Cubs traded Wells or Volstad it would mean that the team would be down to counting on Rodrigo Lopez as the 6th starter, and we saw how well that worked out last year. Apparently Bosio said that at least one of the guys who doesn't get a rotation spot will be in the bullpen. So Wells as the long/swingman in the bullpen would be my guess.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 4th spot will be Volstad.

Assuming that the pitching staff is starting to become pretty set with:
1. Dempster
2. Garza
3. Shark
4. Volstad
5. Malholm

1. CL Marmol
2. SU Wood
3. James Russell
4. Rafael Dolis
5. Randy Wells
6. ??? (I'm going with Trevor Miller or the guy they picked up off waivers from Milwaukee)
7. ??? (Guessing the rule 5 guy because they want to keep him by all accounts)

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
as reported on the score. Shark likely in, and randy wells likely in the pen as long relief. That would be awesome and that would even make it less possible the CO comes back, plus he owes me a sig bet

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have Scott Maine over Miller. Maine has looked better, but yeah they may give it to the vet. I also have Castillo since they don't want to lose him.

Clevenger back-up catcher.

Mather
Baker
Clevenger
Johnson
DeWitt

Make ut the bench. So ... the roster is pretty much set.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have Scott Maine over Miller. Maine has looked better, but yeah they may give it to the vet. I also have Castillo since they don't want to lose him.

Clevenger back-up catcher.

Mather
Baker
Clevenger
Johnson
DeWitt

Make ut the bench. So ... the roster is pretty much set.

It is a bit of a toss up. The Cubs have to pay an extra 100K or something small to keep Miller in the minors, but I doubt that sways the decision much. I do think they go with a lefty in one of the last spots, and so Maine or Miller would seem to be the decision to be made. Mateo probably starts the year on the DL, and perhaps they put him on waivers now to see if they sneak him through since he is out of options.

I think the bench is set like you have. Castillo could beat out Clevenger for the backup catcher but given that Clevenger bats left handed and is older you would think he would get the nod since they've been about equal.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's gonna be one LONG ass season

Yes, but honestly the starting pitching isn't that bad.There are a lot of questions, but this could be an above average starting staff. Of course injuries and ineffectiveness could strike a majority of the starters.

The lineup on the other hand...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I haven't been paying close attention to Travis Wood all spring, wasn't he a decent starter for the Reds not too long ago?