CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Since we haven't taken a offensive linemen so far and we only have a 6th/7th left...I would say we do lol

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's a good player. I'd love to see him as a Bear.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's not what he once was. It's very telling when the run-oriented Jets release someone like Faneca. He was overpaid, but he's declining as a run blocker and he's not a good pass protector.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I agree. We need help on the OL

regoob2

Liked Posts:
Faneca' worst is better than any OG we haves best.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
You think we'll go after him despite his contract? That is why the Jets let him go

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
We do need help on the OLINE but he isn't very good in pass protection. He would most likely be Orlando Pace Version 2.0. Our line looked pretty good the last 2 weeks against the Vikings and Lions, once everyone was put in their correct positions.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We do need help on the OLINE but he isn't very good in pass protection. He would most likely be Orlando Pace Version 2.0. Our line looked pretty good the last 2 weeks against the Vikings and Lions, once everyone was put in their correct positions.

That's my thoughts exactly.

Tyberius Fox

Liked Posts:
LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Bears general manager Jerry Angelo left open the possibility of pursuing veteran offensive guard Alan Faneca, who was released by the New York Jets Saturday.

"Who would not consider Alan Faneca if you had a need at the offensive line?" Angelo said Saturday. "We'll look into some things like we did before the draft. We looked into Rob Sims, we looked into a couple of other guys and it didn't work out."

"We'll continue to look. We do like the players that we have there. I think [Bears offensive line] coach [Mike] Tice has told us in our meetings that he's comfortable with our line, but again, we'll continue to look."

Faneca, 33, signed a lucrative five-year contract with the Jets in 2008, but became expendable due to a combination of age and New York's selection of offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse in the second round. The veteran was set to earn $7.5 million in 2010, although $5.25 million of his salary is guaranteed.

The Bears are still in the market for help at guard. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz revealed earlier in the week Frank Omiyale has moved outside to right tackle, leaving Josh Beekman, Lance Louis and Johan Asiata to battle it out at left guard.

I'm glad to hear we are looking into him. I was hoping we would address the line in the draft, but we really didn't. Heres the link http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5133405

chs234

Liked Posts:
that would be a huge pick up for you guys. Faneca is a MONSTER

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Problem w/ that is that Omiyale has already been moved to RT. If the Bears were to sign Faneca when he was a FA a few years ago, I'd be happy. But like you said he isn't good in pass protection (He gave up 6 sacks last season as a Guard). Justin Smiley, who likely will be released, would be a much better pickup.

regoob2

Liked Posts:

Faneca is a much better pass blocker then Omiyale, Garza or Beekman. He's better at everything. Faneca can still play. Maybe not at a pro bowl level but he's still a very good starter. This is a very good opportunity for us to bring in a quality veteran starter at by far our biggest need position. JA also likes his veteran FA O-lineman.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scratch former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson off the Chicago Bears' wish list, but stay tuned in regards to former New York Jets All-Pro guard Alan Faneca.

During an interview on ESPN 1000's "Afternoon Saloon" show on Monday, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo spoke about the club's prospects for acquiring the recently released veterans, saying the team is still considering Faneca, but isn't interested in kicking the tires on Henderson.

"We are looking at players like Alan," Angelo said. "We have things to do in terms of evaluation; obviously, the cap [although one doesn't exist for 2010]. Those issues have to be looked at as well. We certainly will look at Alan, as we will any good player that's out there."

Faneca's representatives, as of early Monday evening, had not yet heard from the Bears.

Angelo isn't interested in Henderson, who at one time was considered one of the NFL's most dominating run-stuffing defensive tackles. Chicago's lack of interest, according to Angelo, stems from his belief that the Bears don't necessarily need help on the defensive line.

"Not John, because our defensive line right now is pretty well set," Angelo said. "We're looking for offensive linemen. We looked at a couple of veterans [before the draft]. I said that a few times to our media. We really didn't do anything in the first couple of rounds with offensive linemen, so we'll continue to look at that position."

Faneca reportedly struggled in pass protection, but held his own in the Jets' run-heavy scheme, especially towards the end of the season, when the club embarked on its playoff push. Henderson, meanwhile, fell out of Jacksonville's favor due to concerns about his work ethic in addition to issues concerning the defensive tackle's situation off the field.

Henderson played in 124 games for the Jaguars -- which ranks sixth in franchise history; with 120 starts -- fourth in franchise history. Henderson logged 29 sacks, 563 tackles, 146 quarterback pressures and 37 tackles for lost yardage over eight seasons before the club released him on Monday. Henderson also played in two Pro Bowls in 2004 and 2006.
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=5138507&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

I didn't expect them go afer John Henderson, but I expect them to sign Faneca if it doesn't become a bidding war. I don't see him going to Houston because he's never played in a ZBS, but he could go to Arizona w/ the best O-Line coach in the NFL in Russ Grimm.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Although I think we should definately look at Faneca, the Bears FO may be a little hesitant after the Orlando Pace debacle last year. Signing an old OL may not be a road the Bears want to travel on again

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Although I think we should definately look at Faneca, the Bears FO may be a little hesitant after the Orlando Pace debacle last year. Signing an old OL may not be a road the Bears want to travel on again

Not that we have much of a choice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.