2012 Organizational Rankings: #14 Chicago Cubs

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2012 Organizational Rankings: #14

Given the methodology we employed this time around, the Cubs payroll and payroll potential plays a huge role in their No. 14 ranking. Their farm system is relatively uninspiring; their on-field offering for 2012 should be pretty miserable; and their baseball operations department has not yet had even 12 months in command. Still, the Cubs are moving up, and in a league where disparities in payroll have determined which teams succeed more than most other leagues, the Cubs may not stop moving up until they are at the top.

In 2010, we ranked the Chicago Cubs No. 18. In 2011, we put them at No. 19. That gives them the 8th biggest improvement this season when they moved up to No. 14. With last year’s ranking, Joe Pawlikowski rightly diagnosed the situation at the time:

For a while it appeared as though the Cubs were headed for big things. They made some splashes, and in 2007 and 2008 won the NL Central. But behind the scenes things weren’t completely set in place.

And now, for the first time in the last decade, the inverse is true. The splashes are gone and the team may appear uninspired, but behind the scenes, big things are taking place.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs needed to clean house, they did it. I give the organization big props for doing so. Now in the years to come, build a winner and I will be happy.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now that I actually read the article I am not exactly surprised at the ranking or their assessments in general. I would nitpick some of their assessments on defense because I still think that measuring defense statistically is pretty damn hard. That said I figured the Cubs would do well in their rankings due to the strength of their new Front Office and revenue depsite the bleak outlook for this year and 2013.