Is there hope in 2012? (part 3-final thoughts)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 1-Offense
Part 2-Defense

Final Thoughts​
This team does not have a single superstar player. There is not one player who is a top 5 at his position or top 10 pitcher on the roster. There are some players who were that at one point in their career (Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Marmol) or might become that type of player (Starlin Castro), but for this team to win in 2012 it is going to be because the sum is greater than the parts.

The hope for this offense lies in the lineup being deep with hitters offering different skills (OBP, AVG, SLG). There aren't any true elite power hitters, but the lineup is filled with guys that have 10 or more homerun power. The team also increased the number of hitters in the lineup that are willing to work the count from 3 last year (Pena, Soto, Fukudome) to 4 (LaHair, Soto, Stewart, DeJesus). Combine that with a new focus on plate discipline within the organization and this team might be able to wear down a team's good starting pitchers. This would result in more plate appearances versus weaker relievers resulting in better results for the entire lineup.

The pitching staff is deeper if not more talented than the previous year. Pitchers that were options 4 (Wells) and 6 (Coleman) last season are now options 6 and 8 at this point. A pitching staff that is capable of giving quality starts more often than not gives a team, even a bad one, a chance to compete. Combine that with an improvement on defense due to both personel and better coaching/scouting, and this is a team that can be in a lot of ballgames.

The focus on the front office has, rightfully so, been on the new President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein. A lot has been made out of the fact that the team Epstein inherited in Boston was significantly better than the team he has inherited on the northside of Chicago. There really is no disputing this point, but I think an interesting parallel exists between the first and second GM position Jed Hoyer has received. In 2010, Jed Hoyer left Theo Epstein for San Deigo to take a position as a GM. The Padres were coming off of a 75-87 season where the team actually outperformed their pythagorean record by 8S games. Hoyer with several small additions and good seasons from existing players managed to produce a 90 win season. While I doubt very much that lightning can strike twice, I think many of the same thoughts about the Padres' chances in 2010 were similar to what we have heard about hope for the Cubs.

Addendum-The Cubs might already be shorthanded this season with Brian LaHair possibly starting the season on the DL. The Cubs do have depth, but the fact that Blake DeWitt could be taking regular at bats at the premium offensive position tempers what little hope I have.

Last edited:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Don't forget that Ian Stewart thing they'll try this year.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Addendum-The Cubs might already be shorthanded this season with Brian LaHair possibly starting the season on the DL. The Cubs do have depth, but the fact that Blake DeWitt could be taking regular at bats at the premium offensive position tempers what little hope I have.

Sorry, that part. The whole Ian Stewart experiment/thing kinda kills any hope I have as well.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess anything can happen. No one saw the Indians last year being competitive...who knows. I still think its the Reds and Brewers but nothing surprises me in baseball...well except Randy Johnson killing a bird

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess anything can happen. No one saw the Indians last year being competitive...who knows. I still think its the Reds and Brewers but nothing surprises me in baseball...well except Randy Johnson killing a bird
I agree that it is an extreme longshot, and really I was just writing it out to vocalize how I feel about this season. The Cubs basically need everyone to perform to career norms and have four or five guys rebound. That is pretty rare to get all of that to happen in one season.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't forget that Ian Stewart thing they'll try this year.

I think dabynsky talked about that in one of the previous parts of this feature. Ian Stewart should take a few walks, might benefit from the change in scenery, and is also a better defender at 3B than Aramis was. We hope, anyway. He's not getting paid that much so if he can play good defense and not completely suck on offense, it's a good bargain for this team in the context of a retool.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry, that part. The whole Ian Stewart experiment/thing kinda kills any hope I have as well.
Ah okay, I wrote about Ian Stewart in the first part of this long winded treatise. I actually am kind of hopeful for Stewart and DeJesus as rebound candidates. Stewart battled some injuries last year but has put up a solid season already. Wrist injuries are tough for guys to bounce back from, unless you are invincible like Albert Pujols. And while it is possible that Stewart never lives up to the promise he showed early in his career I have far more hope for him being an average 3B than LaHair being an average 1B.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Ah okay, I wrote about Ian Stewart in the first part of this long winded treatise. I actually am kind of hopeful for Stewart and DeJesus as rebound candidates. Stewart battled some injuries last year but has put up a solid season already. Wrist injuries are tough for guys to bounce back from, unless you are invincible like Albert Pujols. And while it is possible that Stewart never lives up to the promise he showed early in his career I have far more hope for him being an average 3B than LaHair being an average 1B.

ahhh, I can see that. I guess I'm just of the mind that Stewart's good season was the statistical outlier and I'm down on how he performs outside of Coors. I'm gonna go check that first part out now though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ahhh, I can see that. I guess I'm just of the mind that Stewart's good season was the statistical outlier and I'm down on how he performs outside of Coors. I'm gonna go check that first part out now though.

He has had so few seasons, particularly full seasons, that I don't know if we can tell which season is the outlier, though I feel pretty safe in saying that he will outperform last season. His splits aren't that bad home/away. He has performed slightly better at home, but his slugging and power numbers are pretty consistent home and away which is what you would expect to be boosted from Coors. Like I said, I understand being down on the guy, there is a reason we got him for Tyler Colvin and DJ LaMaheiu. I just think he is a good bet to bounce back this year.