OT: A Eulogy for the National League (DH)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
NL_logo.png
The National League opened play yesterday in Miami, and it might be the last time it is truly significant to say the National League opened play. The death of the National League has been long coming. The domination of the American League in interleague play for years was a harbinger of things to come. Interleague play itself has ended a familiar way of life, and it is fitting that change should be the final undoing of the National League. Next year the Astros will move from the National League to the American League, and unless you live in Houston or are Lance Berkman you probably don’t care that much. This realignment will require interleague to be played all year round for the first time in baseball history, and the quaint tradition of playing by the rules of the home team’s ballpark will have to end.

The senior circuit is used to having the advantage. The very reason the DH was instituted in the American League to begin with was because of the domination of the National League. Those days have long since passed us by with the American League surpassing the National League in talent, but now that rule change meant to close the gap between the two leagues is going to become permanent. It is only a matter of time at this point.

American League teams have been complaining since the beginning of interleague about having their pitchers bat and not being able to use their DHs in NL parks. The union will not allow the loss of pay for a starting position. Fans for the most part would rather see the 10-9 games of the previous decade than the 2-1 games that baseball seems to be returning. So when the calls for having one set of rules overwhelm tradition it will be the National League that dies.

I have always been a National League guy. It should be natural considering the team I have rooted for since childhood was a National League club, and perhaps it is just nostalgia that makes me lament the end of National League ball. But I will miss the strategy. I miss the natural order of the lineup. I will miss the role of the eighth hitter in the National League lineup. I will miss the creativity of guys like Tony La Russa batting pitchers eighth. I will miss the differences in watching guys like Carlos Zambrano and Matt Garza hitting. And I don’t think it is wrong to feel a sense of loss at the way the National League has played baseball for 136 years and counting at this point.

I have long resented the designated hitter. There is something fundamental at odds with the spirit of the game. The designated hitter is supposed to remove the weakness of one position and replacing it with a player whose strength is that weakness. Pitchers are generally bad at hitting so lets allow a guy who can mash to hit for him. We have a guy that is a terrific hitter but a butcher in the field. If the point of baseball was to let players only do what they were best at why not have designated runners or fielders. It would make the game more exciting. Or for that matter why not just allow free substitutions to allow for the best matchups to occur throughout the game because that would be more exciting than watching a scrub middle reliever face a catcher hitting below the Mendoza line.

The reason we don’t do that is because the spirit of baseball is that the ball finds you as the saying goes. This devalues guys that are good at lots of things and instead puts the emphasis on players that are highly skilled in one area but flawed otherwise. A pitcher that could hit a little was always a useful advantage for the NL manager because he could leaving the pitcher in longer. That no longer matters in the American League game where the manager only has to concern himself with the matchup between the pitcher and batter.

And I will miss the double switch. Or rather I will miss watching managers comically overuse the double switch as if just to prove that they were a National League manager. But it was a thing of beauty to be able to play armchair manager as the pitcher spot was rolling around in the batting order. The mental gymnastics of what combinations would create the ideal situations in the following half inning and beyond was part of the fun of watching a game that many consider slow. Instead I will be treated in the near future to push button managing where the need for pinch hitters will be minimal and the focus will be on pitting the strength of players against another players strength instead of the National League stratagem of minimizing the weaknesses of your players.

Nothing has been said about this coming apocalypse to what has been baseball for 150 years. The change has only been hinted at by a few astute writers and commentators, but whether the world of the National League ends in the appropriate year of 2012 or later matters very little. The way that I and many of my ilk who favor the National League will be out of luck in the very near future as the game will be fundamental change for the first time since the introduction of the DH in 1973. So goodbye to double switches and strategy. Goodbye to actual baseball whenever it may come.

Somehow I missed this originally. Great post even if I don't agree with some of the points you made, still a nice piece!

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your comment on "free substitution" is something I have thought of as well. The whole concept of the "designated hitter" is odd to me. It not only enables a player to get out of the fielding aspect of the game (DH), it also allows another player to get out of the hitting aspect of the game (P). I think a true Designated Hitter would just be an extra guy in the lineup, but the pitcher would still have to hit for himself. If you are going to allow the DH not to field and the P not to hit, why stop there? Why not just have two completely seperate platoons...an offense (batters) and defense (fielders) like in football, so to speak?

That way, Darwin Barney would be a good player.

They might consider this when the "average" shitty position player is worse than the worst pitcher is at hitting...

The DH can't exactly be double-switched for though, they're locked into the lineup. That's the sacrifice you make with the DH, and it's really a small one. Most of the emphasis of the game is in the pitching and hitting it seems. The fielding aspect probably doesn't cough up too many more runs than the hitters can accumulate, although I'd have to actually run the numbers to be sure and I unfortunately don't have the time right now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone has come up with a good way to measure the total impact of fielding on a game. Its always underrated by the number crunchers, IMO.

The metrics available to the general public kind of suck but if you just use your own eyes you can tell that an infield that includes a Darwin Barney is probably much better at preventing runs than an infield made up of Cabrera/Fielder. If the emphasis is on offense in the game of baseball then it might make sense to have a "designated fielder" so to speak, and I'm sure the MLBPA and managers would like that because it creates a job and reduces a headache on defense. However, a full on specialization like in football would probably be way more expensive and way more trouble than it's worth. You'd basically turn the game of baseball into a free-for-all substitution fest like beer league softball and I'm not sure that would be good for the game...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano could get a "courtesy runner" whenever he got on base, but I think he would be too valuable in the field to be subbed out. He is the best fielding LF in the game right now.

I see what you did there.

But while the DH is there because there is a deficiency in a particular set of players (pitchers who can't hit) that cannot be easily overcome, the majority of the players are going to have to compete on the merits of their inherent abilities, be it fielding, baserunning, or the ability to destroy a baseball. Now I'm not a fan of the DH, but even I get tired of watching a pitcher like Matt Garza flail awkwardly at batting practice pitches. I'm sure most fans would agree.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
But don't you also get tired of seeing Soriano botch fly balls in left, or seeing Adam Dunn fill in at 1B? Thats what I am getting at...why stop at pitchers trying to hit?

No, you definitely make a good point. I'm just saying that I can see the possibility of having a designated fielder before they go full-spectrum platoon for everybody. From a business/bargaining standpoint I think the players would love to have more jobs, but would balk at being potentially paid less because of all the specialization going on given the full-spectrum platoon plan. And the owners definitely wouldn't want to pay a crew of "designated fielders" all that much either, because while it may potentially be easier to play good defense (i.e. Brendan Ryan), those positions would be much more fungible and therefore the salary demands would decrease. So my objection is not because I thought you had a bad idea, just that I don't think MLB would ever go for it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-pitchers-are-athletes-let-them-be-baseball-players/
On Sunday, Travis Wood shut out the Pirates. Monday, he pinch hit in the 13th inning in Miami, doubled and the Cubs had won two straight.
Travis Wood should pinch hit, because he can hit. When he pitches, his bat gives the Cubs a theoretical American League lineup, with a .276/.323/.552/2 HR slash line that might drop him into the seven hole for the Rays or Red Sox. “Actually,” says one NL executive, “he should probably bat sixth for the Cubs.” Hey, in managing the Orioles in 1958, Paul Richards batted Jack Harshman third, sixth, seventh and eight; Harshman hit six homers that season with a .757 OPS, 21 as a pitcher for his career.
In this era when matchup mania forces managers into carrying 12 pitchers and having barren benches, pitchers as players are worth a great deal more than a simple one out, breaking ball lefthander paid to keep a Josh Hamilton, Joey Votto or David Ortiz from swinging the bat the last time through the order. Remember Catfish Hunter on the 1971 Athletics. He threw 247 innings. His earned run average was good, 2.96, not great in the non-DH era, but part of the reason he won 21 games was that he hit .350 with a .362 on base and .408 slug with an OPS+ of 120. Oh yes. And didn’t commit an error.
Travis Wood is a good pitcher. He’s not going to light up an analytics life, but he can hit. He is lefthanded and controls the running game. He is an outstanding fielder who can make bunting difficult. “He does a lot of things that go into helping his team win,” says Cubs General Manager Jed Hoyer...

Click the link to read the whole thing, but a fun answer to the overwhelming pressure that is likely to force the NL to adopt the DH.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
So, we already pretty much have a DH every 5 games.