Bryan Lahair Thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Righto, but again, most GMs will not pay through the nose for this type of player (career minor leaguer, wrong side of 25, etc etc) so he has to show that he can sustain that level of production before rival teams will jump at the bait. It's really hard to say, but if I were a rival GM, despite the cost control, I wouldn't trade for LaHair right now. Maybe in July or August, but definitely not now, and possibly not until next year if at all.

The converse is that you keep him, you basically have a built in extension system with arbitration, and you keep him as cheap labor until he craps out and you can non-tender him. Sucks for LaHair, but good for the team. I'm simply not convinced that he's that good of a trade asset right *now* but I also am open-minded to that situation changing.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Righto, but again, most GMs will not pay through the nose for this type of player (career minor leaguer, wrong side of 25, etc etc) so he has to show that he can sustain that level of production before rival teams will jump at the bait. It's really hard to say, but if I were a rival GM, despite the cost control, I wouldn't trade for LaHair right now. Maybe in July or August, but definitely not now, and possibly not until next year if at all.

The converse is that you keep him, you basically have a built in extension system with arbitration, and you keep him as cheap labor until he craps out and you can non-tender him. Sucks for LaHair, but good for the team. I'm simply not convinced that he's that good of a trade asset right *now* but I also am open-minded to that situation changing.

I can see that happening.

Jamfan

Twitter: @jamfan41
Liked Posts:
XCjSH.png

This might be the high point of the season. LaHair is qualified for the OPS leaderboard.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure the Cubs are better off with two top 15 prospects if the system is a team like the Tigers, used purely for example not because they are likely to trade him, and the prospects are number 14 and 15.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Some interesting reads about Brian LaHair posted today:
Bryan LaHair: Lucky or Good? | Bleacher Nation | Chicago Cubs News, Rumors, and Commentary

LaHair takes a step outside - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

Is Bryan LaHair’s Success Sustainable? | FanGraphs Baseball

I'm starting to come around to the idea that the Cubs might have won the lottery on this one.

I think he's good, just not necessarily 2nd in MLB OPS good. They probably did win the lottery, but that .510 BABIP is insanely unsustainable. He's been the odd combo of lucky and good.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he's good, just not necessarily 2nd in MLB OPS good. They probably did win the lottery, but that .510 BABIP is insanely unsustainable. He's been the odd combo of lucky and good.

The BleacherNation article addresses that some. Obvouisly he isn't going to have a .510 BABIP, but he has always had a higher than average BABIP. So while he isn't likely to hit .380 he is also likely to still be an above average 1B. I was so wrong about this one.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it will even itself out over the course of the season. He isnt this good, and he isnt bad. the league will catch up to this for sure.

And in the meantime while he is hot, teams should pitch around him more since there is no other threat in that lineup. OBP will stay somewhat consistent as slugging and BA will dip. Im pretty certain that is how it will pan out for him after the season is over.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
you also cant go by minor league babip

We aren't going by it, but it is the only evidence we have at this point. His BABIP is insanely high right now. It won't remain that high, but there is some evidence to suggest that he might be able to consistently have a higher than average BABIP, part of which could be due to a high LD% but again we have limited data at this point.

BrewCrewFan

Liked Posts:
Saw this on a Brewers fan forum:

Apparently a Cubs scout was in Appleton on Tuesday specifically to see Drew Gagnon pitch, and left right away when he didn't. Raises some questions about whether or not the Brewers are interested in any Cubs. LaHair maybe?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saw this on a Brewers fan forum:

Apparently a Cubs scout was in Appleton on Tuesday specifically to see Drew Gagnon pitch, and left right away when he didn't. Raises some questions about whether or not the Brewers are interested in any Cubs. LaHair maybe?

The Cubs are willing to trade just about anyone. So LaHair could certainly be an option. The Cubs are probably willing to trade 3/5ths of their rotation which would be an upgrade as well. Interesting to note that the Cubs were scouting, but I think there are too many possibilities for us to accurately speculate on what is going.

BrewCrewFan

Liked Posts:
Well, the Brewers have been looking for a 1B for awhile. Gamel is done for the year and Travis Ishikawa is the starting 1B. So, I assume that it's probably the most realistic option.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, the Brewers have been looking for a 1B for awhile. Gamel is done for the year and Travis Ishikawa is the starting 1B. So, I assume that it's probably the most realistic option.

It would certainly make sense I agree, but the Brewers rotation certainly has holes as well was the point I was raising. I am torn on the issue of trading LaHair because I don't know what value we will get for him. In some ways I really feel as though teams are going to lowball us on him, and we might as well keep him while he makes nothing if we aren't netting solid specs back.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait, what do the Brewers still have? I thought they blew their wads acquiring Greinke and Marcum.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would certainly make sense I agree, but the Brewers rotation certainly has holes as well was the point I was raising. I am torn on the issue of trading LaHair because I don't know what value we will get for him. In some ways I really feel as though teams are going to lowball us on him, and we might as well keep him while he makes nothing if we aren't netting solid specs back.

or have the league make adjustments and he comes down to earth and nets you a bag of balls.

Sent from Tbo41fans everything is lulz factory using Tapatalk